LD Rasmus Dahlin (2018, 1st, BUF) Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
Yeah, I don't think they make the playoffs this year, but I do think that they are close to having the right pieces, and that they will improve rapidly when they fill a couple more holes.

They need Dahlin to develop, because while he may be superlative right off the bat, he will have to learn what he can and cannot get away with. And learn how much he can rely on each teammate, and they with him as well.

They need Ristolainen to play within his limitations. I get the sense that he was asked to do too much and tried to do it all. Which lead to being a lot less than he could be. But he's young, I think he'll recover.

And they need an LD who is better than Scandella. He can be on a good second pairing. If he's on your top pairing, I don't think that's quite good enough.

On forward, they need Middlestadt to hit the ground running as much as possible. And they probably need better second line wingers. But I think that for all of the crap they took over the O'Rielly deal, I think they got good depth in Berglund and Sobotka.

People forget the the Sabres BLEW IT UP for a couple of years. So their depth has been the worst in the league, even as they have improved at the top through draft picks and trades. Having competent and effective third liners is going to blow the minds of Sabres fans. And the team will be a lot better this season, I think. But no playoffs until next year and only if they fill in their holes.
Sobotka is literal trash. He shouldn't even be playing.

Team Cozens

Oct 24, 2013
Burlington

Morreale:
Rasmus Dahlin, D, Buffalo Sabres
The easiest pick to make, not only because it's imperative to build your franchise from the defense out, but because Dahlin is the unquestioned best prospect on the board. He'll be a top-pair player in Buffalo as an 18-year-old rookie this season and a likely finalist for the Calder Trophy.

TheWhiskeyThief

Dec 24, 2017
I just imagine Buffalo screwing this all up by not having Dahlin or Risto play on their off hand and not have them playing together on their off hands for the PP.

sufferer

Dec 6, 2017
I just imagine Buffalo screwing this all up by not having Dahlin or Risto play on their off hand and not have them playing together on their off hands for the PP.
I suspect Dahlin will find himself on the top PP unit in no time. The Sabres have had amazing success loading up the first unit in the past. This would give Mittelstadt a familiar setting in being one of the only talented guys left over for the second unit :sarcasm:

Eichel (L-halfwall) - Reinhart (net front) - Skinner (R-halfwall)
Risto - Dahlin

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
I suspect Dahlin will find himself on the top PP unit in no time. The Sabres have had amazing success loading up the first unit in the past. This would give Mittelstadt a familiar setting in being one of the only talented guys left over for the second unit :sarcasm:

Eichel (L-halfwall) - Reinhart (net front) - Skinner (R-halfwall)
Risto - Dahlin

Screw Skinner, play him on PP2. They should have Mittelstadt on that Top PP for a couple of reasons...

1. His vision, passing and IQ is superior to Skinner... and Eichel and Ristolainen are pure shooters. Skinner is also a shooter, so he should be featured as the main gunner on PP2. Mittelstadt and Dahlin are both sublime passers and creative players... their passing ability will balance the Top PP unit. Reinhart will be in front, collecting garbage, deflecting, etc.

2. Putting Casey on the Top PP unit will instantly boost his confidence and get him more involved in the overall game. It will be in the Sabres' best interest to put rookies like Mittelstadt and Dahlin in the position to thrive then soar. A lights out PP will do that.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
The first pp should be Eichel on his offwing, Reinhart net front, Mittelstadt where ROR was when he got all his points, Risto where he always is and Dahlin taking over Okposos spot roving from the line to the side of the net.

Basically just give Mittelstadt RoR’s spot and drop Okposo down to the second unit for Dahlin.

Second unit can be Skinner’s the way it was Kane’s. Okposo is on it. If Tage Thompson is here his booming shot is on it. Throw in whatever D you want QBing it and whatever in the fifth spot.

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
The first pp should be Eichel on his offwing, Reinhart net front, Mittelstadt where ROR was when he got all his points, Risto where he always is and Dahlin taking over Okposos spot roving from the line to the side of the net.

Basically just give Mittelstadt RoR’s spot and drop Okposo down to the second unit for Dahlin.

Second unit can be Skinner’s the way it was Kane’s. Okposo is on it. If Tage Thompson is here his booming shot is on it. Throw in whatever D you want QBing it and whatever in the fifth spot.

Exactly. Guhle, if he cements a spot on the team, could be a nice QB option for PP2.

sufferer

Dec 6, 2017
I just like the idea of having a proven goal scorer in Skinner on the top unit for once. He's as offensively gifted as ROR was if not even more so. Mittelstadt could take his spot if it doesn't work out, obviously, but I think having two rookies on the same side of the ice could be exploited despite them being uber-talented.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Starting off right with 2 goals + a shorthanded apple tonight! (Not to mention all the good plays that didn't make it on the score sheet.)

I think this Dahlin kid might be kind of good at hockey.

Team Cozens

Oct 24, 2013
Burlington
Not sure what I was more impressed with tonight.... Dahlin’s 3 points, his hit or his passing. Gotta go with the breakout passing.
He is an absolute beast who will dominate the NHL in 2-3 years.

Reactions: Fearnot

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
I know here is not the place to talk about it, but any insight on Will Borgen’s progression/development ?
All signs indicate it is continuing upward

I’m a fan of his spacing/gap control and I’ve liked how he uses his body properly given what he’s working with. But I want to see how he looks against more seasoned competition, too

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
Did you see the way him and Mittelstadt were playing keep away on the PP? The nifty, no-look back passes? A PP of Eichel-Reinhart-Mittelstadt-Dahlin-Ristolainen could be absolutely lethal.

Howboutthempanthers

Thread killer.
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2012
Brow. County, Fl.
Oh god, the hype is going to go nuclear. And I find it delicious.
It will be good to get someone else some attention instead of the usually suspects these last couple of years. (No, not McDavid, his hype is equal to his performance).

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015
Starting off right with 2 goals + a shorthanded apple tonight! (Not to mention all the good plays that didn't make it on the score sheet.)

I think this Dahlin kid might be kind of good at hockey.

That first play in the neutral zone and scoring on the rebound reminds me so much of Erik Karlsson

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site
As a leaf fan I hate that buffalo got this kid but he’s amazing and I love watching amazing hockey players go I’m kinda happy they got him.

I see future hall-of-famer attributes with Dahlin.
He’s unreal, just sees the game at a different level.

Reactions: WeDislikeEich

WeDislikeEich

Jun 22, 2015
As a leaf fan I hate that buffalo got this kid but he’s amazing and I love watching amazing hockey players go I’m kinda happy they got him.

I see future hall-of-famer attributes with Dahlin.
He’s unreal, just sees the game at a different level.

Trust me, as a Buffalo fan I felt the same way when you guys got Babcock, Matthews + Marner, when Liljegren fell into your laps and when you signed JT... lol.

It’s tough because I (obviously) hate the leafs, but I love watching Matthews + Marner play.

Buffalo has a long way to go to catch up, but it’d be great if buffalo and Toronto had a legit playoff rivalry for years to come.

Dahlin is the truth.

Was not that impressed with Mittelstadt, tho.

Yeah, Mittelstadt didn’t really stand out last night. Not exactly sure what was up with him, but he’s usually a lot more impressive when I’ve watched him play. I mean, he wasn’t bad or anything. Just didn’t stand out as much as usual.

Very curious to see how he does tonight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->