LD Rasmus Dahlin (2018, 1st, BUF) Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aahlstroem

På Legenders Axlar
Dec 7, 2012
Göteborg
I've seen almost all games Dahlin played in SHL this season. For the most part he was great and overall he was the best defenceman on Frölunda. Of course there were mistakes and a few bad games, but that's not strange as he was only 17 years old, the season ended before he turned 18. He kind of began the season where he left off 16/17 with a lot of rushes with the puck leading to a lot of the highlight clips but during the season he matured a lot and started playing much more of a two-way game. You all have seen his skating, stickhandling and creativity but he's solid in his own end as well, one-on-one he's amazing. At the end of the season he set the pace of the game when he was on the ice. As a 17 year old D-man, against men. His skills, hockey IQ and confidence are just something else.

I know it has been stated before, but only three of Dahlin's 20 point came on the PP. Because for some f***ing reason he was never used on PP1, and PP1 started and played about 1:30 of every PP. He would have crushed that U18 record if he had gotten just a few games with PP1.

I have no doubt that he'll adapt quickly to the NHL, because that is what he do. When the competition gets harder he lifts his game to a new level.

Edit: I'd like to add that when mistakes did occur it was most often because he tried to create a play, and not from just being bad.

Last edited:

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
It just was an example of what I was talking about. It wasn't a cherry picked example with poor consequences or anything, just something he does all the time.

I mean sure. I appreciate it wasn’t an omg fluke situation.

But all your showing is that he didn’t stay low as a hinge or safety outlet. Which could be an issue.

But it sure seems like his partner and he were on the same page and then it looks like he one touches a pass right to a winger cutting thru center ice. Who just happens to fumble it.

Without watching the whole game to see their breakout structure I can’t tell you what the general strategy was, but it’s not uncommon to have a weak side partner take off with that much space available.

Fortunately if this is a weakness that kind of tactical spacing is very coachable compared to say gap control on the rush or decision making on the rush or any number of things he shows tremendous skill at.

If you have any other clips please show them, I’m interested to see his weaknesses as well as strengths.

But I did watch a shift by shift game of his during wjc. And I understand he might have been a little bit safer defensively in that tournament than for his club team. But his d play was quite professional for his age.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
I am a huge Dahlin fan but I would temper expectations a little bit. While he reminds me of a young, raw, super talented Ray Bourque, some of the things he did in Sweden will not work in the NHL. That said, I think he's smart enough to already know this, so I wouldn't expect him to even try the same moves in the NHL. He will also need to be conscious of cutting inside with his head up.

I think an important part that I believe impacts the perception of Dahlin’s play to fans/detractors is the play of his teammates.

I’m expecting a ton of moments this year where Dahlin may have made the right play but the receiver of the pass missed it or flubbed it (not uncommon with Sabres players). Those will be met with a breakdown of what Dahlin “should’ve” done.

There will be moments where Dahlins decision making will lead to a turnover by his teammate where the smarter play was something else.

There will be plays where Dahlin might make an amazing play(dangle/goal) where the higher % play was something else.

I’m not expecting Dahlin to have a great statisitcal year. Part of that will be the speed of the game on a smaller rink with stronger guys, which he will have to get used to, part of it will be coaching matchups and part of it will be because of his linemates. I don’t think he will be completely shutdown but the jump he’s going to need to make is huge.

I do have confidence in his defensive game as I believe that’s what sets him apart from other defensive prospects that were his age. He’s ahead of them in that regard. As long as he has that side of the game and that improves, as a fan, I can overlook what I think will be offensive hiccups through his rookie year.

Reactions: Aahlstroem

WeDislikeEich

Jun 22, 2015
I've seen almost all games Dahlin played in SHL this season. For the most part he was great and overall he was the best defenceman on Frölunda. Of course there were mistakes and a few bad games, but that's not strange as he was only 17 years old, the season ended before he turned 18. He kind of began the season where he left off 16/17 with a lot of rushes with the puck leading to a lot of the highlight clips but during the season he matured a lot and started playing much more of a two-way game. You all have seen his skating, stickhandling and creativity but he's solid in his own end as well, one-on-one he's amazing. At the end of the season he set the pace of the game when he was on the ice. As a 17 year old D-man, against men. His skills, hockey IQ and confidence are just something else.

I know it has been stated before, but only three of Dahlin's 20 point came on the PP. Because for some ****ing reason he was never used on PP1, and PP1 started and played about 1:30 of every PP. He would have crushed that U18 record if he had gotten just a few games with PP1.

I have no doubt that he'll adapt quickly to the NHL, because that is what he do. When the competition gets harder he lifts his game to a new level.

Edit: I'd like to add that when mistakes did occur it was most often because he tried to create a play, and not from just being bad.

Good post. Thanks for sharing.

Gets me excited for the season to start!

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
Will he be called "Rasmbust Buhstlin" after the season? . I dont think so , i think he will have a bright future.

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

SabresSharks

Oct 2, 2007
So, what if he's the next Eric Johnson career wise?

Since, you know, everyone says he's going to be lidstrom/karlsson.
If Dahlin avoids stumbling out of a golf cart at a team event to sustain a career-limiting knee injury, he will already have surpassed EJ. I predict he clears that hurdle.

SabresSharks

Oct 2, 2007
As a Sabres fan I'm incredibly excited about Dahlin, of course. I think he'll have a fantastic career.

But when I hear, for example, Button claiming he's the best defense prospect since Potvin, my hyperbole alarm goes off. Better than Doughty, Hedman, Karlsson, Bourque, Lidstrom?

Sure, Dahlin was more hyped entering the draft than those guys were, but let's see him demonstrate his worth in NHL games before anointing him. If his career is comparable to any of theirs I think every Sabres fan will be absolutely thrilled. Anything beyond that ... I'll be happy to renounce my skepticism.

Tomas W

Oct 23, 2007
Sweden
As a Sabres fan I'm incredibly excited about Dahlin, of course. I think he'll have a fantastic career.

But when I hear, for example, Button claiming he's the best defense prospect since Potvin, my hyperbole alarm goes off. Better than Doughty, Hedman, Karlsson, Bourque, Lidstrom?

Sure, Dahlin was more hyped entering the draft than those guys were, but let's see him demonstrate his worth in NHL games before anointing him. If his career is comparable to any of theirs I think every Sabres fan will be absolutely thrilled. Anything beyond that ... I'll be happy to renounce my skepticism.

Yeah, its kind of impossible to say. Dahlin is not a finished product, he need to continue to work hard to get into his potential. Now, little points towards that he his anything like a slacker, its more likely he be overambitious to show his own worth.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017

Karlsson was drafted 15th, he wasn’t an unreal prospect but clearly developed really well

Healthy DiPietro

Jan 4, 2014
Karlsson was drafted 15th, he wasn’t an unreal prospect but clearly developed really well

I think Karlsson dropping to 15th was largely a result of people looking past his actual performance due to his size. If he was drafted in the modern era I can't see him falling lower than Hughes and Boqvist, since different attributes are valued higher nowadays.

gretskidoo

Nov 26, 2011

You're a prospect before you're in the NHL, so there's no need to see him in the NHL when talking about him as a prospect.

As an example, Tom Wilson wasn't a better prospect than Yakupov just because Yakupov is out of the NHL already.

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017

Ray Ferraro said he should be compared to Matthews and Mc.David but among defenders. And that northamericans think they understand how good he is, but they realy dont.

He is hyperhyped and i would be very surprised if he lives up to it. Extremly surprised as a matter of fact. Surprised but happy.

ulvvf

May 9, 2014
Ray Ferraro said he should be compared to Matthews and Mc.David but among defenders. And that northamericans think they understand how good he is, but they realy dont.

He is hyperhyped and i would be very surprised if he lives up to it. Extremly surprised as a matter of fact. Surprised but happy.

Matthews and McDavid are not equally good, McDavid is alot better. Matthews is a great player, but feels a bit overrated, he is hyped as he already is a like top 3 player in the league, which he is not close to be. He maybe has the potential to be it, but he is not there yet.

I would say Matthews is somewhere around the top 20-30 best forwards in the league as it stands right now (with potential of becoming even better), and it is pretty realistic to think that Dahlin will be among top 20-30 best d-men in the league in a few years, i would almost say it would be a disappointment if he do not become better than that.

Reactions: WeDislikeEich

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
Matthews and McDavid are not equally good, McDavid is alot better. Matthews is a great player, but feels a bit overrated, he is hyped as he already is a like top 3 player in the league, which he is not close to be. He maybe has the potential to be it, but he is not there yet.

I would say Matthews is somewhere around the top 20-30 best forwards in the league as it stands right now (with potential of becoming even better), and it is pretty realistic to think that Dahlin will be among top 20-30 best d-men in the league in a few years, i would almost say it would be a disappointment if he do not become better than that.
Ray clearly rates Matthews higher then 20-30th or he would not have used him as a example. But i do belive that McDavid is alone in the top right now.

WeDislikeEich

Jun 22, 2015

I love that he appears to already be in Buffalo training for the start of the season. I think he’s actually been in town for a couple weeks now.

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
I think Karlsson dropping to 15th was largely a result of people looking past his actual performance due to his size. If he was drafted in the modern era I can't see him falling lower than Hughes and Boqvist, since different attributes are valued higher nowadays.

I don't buy that. Guys like Ballard, Ellis, and Shattenkirk were all drafted around the same spot as Karlsson around the same time.

Karlsson didn't play much in the Swedish Elite League that year. I think it's safe to safe that most everyone didn't expect his meteoric rise post draft.

Team Cozens

Oct 24, 2013
Burlington
If Dahlin ends up playing the right side, the Sabres are set for a long time on D.

Scandella Dahlin
McCabe Risto
Guhle Bogo
Samuelsson Borgen

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
If Dahlin ends up playing the right side, the Sabres are set for a long time on D.

Scandella Dahlin
McCabe Risto
Guhle Bogo
Samuelsson Borgen
Do you genuinely feel that way?

You know your team a lot better than I do, so I'm not calling you out but merely asking for clarification.

To me, I can see how your top 2 RD spots are occupied for a decade. And Scandella to me is a good second pairing guy. McCabe is a player that I liked in the past but it sounded like he had a terrible year and Sabres fans were really down on him.

Guhle is a player I haven't watched but I know Sabres fans are high on him. Bogosian seems like he can't stay healthy long enough to be a useful player.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
I know here is not the place to talk about it, but any insight on Will Borgen’s progression/development ?

Looks good and on track. Good enough skater to play a physical game, not great offensive ability, but not so bad to stay out of the top 4 if he maxes, top 6 likely given his tools.

Expected to get a ton of minutes in Rochester and didn’t look out of place last year in a cup of coffee run in the ahl.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
Do you genuinely feel that way?

You know your team a lot better than I do, so I'm not calling you out but merely asking for clarification.

To me, I can see how your top 2 RD spots are occupied for a decade. And Scandella to me is a good second pairing guy. McCabe is a player that I liked in the past but it sounded like he had a terrible year and Sabres fans were really down on him.

Guhle is a player I haven't watched but I know Sabres fans are high on him. Bogosian seems like he can't stay healthy long enough to be a useful player.

A lot of Sabre fans are hoping injuries held McCabe back, but he has always been inconsistent at the nhl level.

Guhle is probably the more likely top 4 piece if his game comes together this year and into next. Crazy good skater with a long frame, his offense is probably going to hold him back from carrying a pair.

Sabres could use another top 4 guy badly to be a playoff team with a chance to get in.

Reactions: Mitts888

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
A lot of Sabre fans are hoping injuries held McCabe back, but he has always been inconsistent at the nhl level.

Guhle is probably the more likely top 4 piece if his game comes together this year and into next. Crazy good skater with a long frame, his offense is probably going to hold him back from carrying a pair.

Sabres could use another top 4 guy badly to be a playoff team with a chance to get in.
Yeah, I don't think they make the playoffs this year, but I do think that they are close to having the right pieces, and that they will improve rapidly when they fill a couple more holes.

They need Dahlin to develop, because while he may be superlative right off the bat, he will have to learn what he can and cannot get away with. And learn how much he can rely on each teammate, and they with him as well.

They need Ristolainen to play within his limitations. I get the sense that he was asked to do too much and tried to do it all. Which lead to being a lot less than he could be. But he's young, I think he'll recover.

And they need an LD who is better than Scandella. He can be on a good second pairing. If he's on your top pairing, I don't think that's quite good enough.

On forward, they need Middlestadt to hit the ground running as much as possible. And they probably need better second line wingers. But I think that for all of the crap they took over the O'Rielly deal, I think they got good depth in Berglund and Sobotka.

People forget the the Sabres BLEW IT UP for a couple of years. So their depth has been the worst in the league, even as they have improved at the top through draft picks and trades. Having competent and effective third liners is going to blow the minds of Sabres fans. And the team will be a lot better this season, I think. But no playoffs until next year and only if they fill in their holes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad