LD Rasmus Dahlin - Frolunda HC, SHL (2018, 1st, BUF) Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

GellMann

Dec 16, 2014
Lancaster NY

8EIp.gif

I'm not going to lie, there's nothing to suggest from that particular video clip that there aren't 100+ NHL forwards with better stick-handling than Dahlin. It was completely unremarkable.

I know 24 year olds working low-paying jobs and drinking their weekends away that can stickhandle better than that clip.

Of course, I understand that Dahlin was not attempting to be Patrick Kane there. And that his puck control as a defenseman is surreal in actual games against actual players.

GellMann

Dec 16, 2014
Lancaster NY
The best clip from Dahlin's camp so far is the one where he skates backwards from a dead stop and easily kept up with the forward the whole way. THAT was impressive as hell.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
He won’t have that many points. He has honestly not been that impressive. That Russian kid is better and more skilled. Especially on Buffalo Dahlin will have around 32-35 points

Everything about him except his shot is impressive, just watch him handle a puck.

Garl

Oct 7, 2006
Dahlins upside in my opinion is from a Nick Leddy/Barrie/Brodie type
This is trolling. I mean, guy just went 1st overall and you are saying, that his ceiling are players, who are above average, but not 1st overall quality and don't play like Dahlin at all. It's like to say in 2016, that Matthews is new Bozak and Laine is new Burrows or smth.

And its based on nothing, I mean results of Dahlin are absolutely mind blowing, he is a 1st overall for a very good reason.

Reactions: WeDislikeEich

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Transcribed your post. He hasn't even played a practice game yet, don't know what you could possibly be expecting.
... Seriously? I'll give an example with Sabres, last off-season I was seriously impressed by Mittelstadt's stickhandling even though he wasn't even my favorite prospect at the time(And I've certainly had to improve my opinion on him quite a bit). That's when a player had "wow-factor" on his stickhandling, in similar situations at the development camp. Dahlin's not made me feel like that, which is a bit inconsistent with him being 1OA and with his stickhandling praised so highly everywhere. Now, you can disagree with me if you want to but you don't have to strawman it up like that, I think that it's a pretty reasonable thing to say considering the situation.

Insomniac99

Oct 26, 2006
Orchard Park, NY
... Seriously? I'll give an example with Sabres, last off-season I was seriously impressed by Mittelstadt's stickhandling even though he wasn't even my favorite prospect at the time(And I've certainly had to improve my opinion on him quite a bit). That's when a player had "wow-factor" on his stickhandling, in similar situations at the development camp. Dahlin's not made me feel like that, which is a bit inconsistent with him being 1OA and with his stickhandling praised so highly everywhere. Now, you can disagree with me if you want to but you don't have to strawman it up like that, I think that it's a pretty reasonable thing to say considering the situation.

Looks silky smooth to me.

Howboutthempanthers

Thread killer.
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2012
Brow. County, Fl.
I'm not going to lie, there's nothing to suggest from that particular video clip that there aren't 100+ NHL forwards with better stick-handling than Dahlin. It was completely unremarkable.

I know 24 year olds working low-paying jobs and drinking their weekends away that can stickhandle better than that clip.

Of course, I understand that Dahlin was not attempting to be Patrick Kane there. And that his puck control as a defenseman is surreal in actual games against actual players.
I think the thing that stands out to me about Dahlin's stick handling is the unpredictableness of it. In that clip for example he went the opposite direction I was expecting him to go, a few times. Usually for me good stick handling isn't about being unpredictable as much as being about sharpness and quickness. Dahlin's unpredictability is what makes his stick handling so good IMO, especially back there on the blue line. And because of that unpredictability, he will turn a few guys inside out.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
I think the thing that stands out to me about Dahlin's stick handling is the unpredictableness of it. In that clip for example he went the opposite direction I was expecting him to go, a few times. Usually for me good stick handling isn't about being unpredictable as much as being about sharpness and quickness. Dahlin's unpredictability is what makes his stick handling so good IMO, especially back there on the blue line. And because of that unpredictability, he will turn a few guys inside out.
Being unpredictable isn't really a mechanical stickhandling trait though, it's an IQ / decisionmaking-thing. And I'm not questioning his IQ or anything.

Finnish poster not impressed with Dahlin clips from prectice drills. Hilarious.
If you really want to ad hominem instead of discussing the topic that's fine. But note the post after yours - Clips like that really don't blow my socks off like even Wahlstrom has.

wankstifier

All glory to the harvest god
Jun 19, 2018
Some of these takes are hilarious, Dahlin has great hands for a NHL player. No need for the "for a defenseman" qualifier

Dahlin excelling as Buffalo's 1 D would be one of the least surprising events of next season.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Some of these takes are hilarious, Dahlin has great hands for a NHL player. No need for the "for a defenseman" qualifier

Dahlin excelling as Buffalo's 1 D would be one of the least surprising events of next season.
Speaking of which, I wonder who he's going to play with. Next to Ristolainen? I definitely wouldn't be surprised if Dahlin outperformed Ristolainen, that's for sure.

DDRhockey

Hockeyfan since 1986
Oct 11, 2017
Being unpredictable isn't really a mechanical stickhandling trait though, it's an IQ / decisionmaking-thing. And I'm not questioning his IQ or anything.

If you really want to ad hominem instead of discussing the topic that's fine. But note the post after yours - Clips like that really don't blow my socks off like even Wahlstrom has.
You judge stuff by pratice drills in june?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->