LD Rasmus Dahlin - Frolunda HC, SHL (2018, 1st, BUF) Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Get carried away? I don't doubt for a second that Dahlin is going to be one of the best defenceman in the league once he adjusts to the NA game. He has the potential to be the best D in the world. We'll see if he gets there.

But at the age of 20, McDavid is already the best forward in the NHL (Maybe only behind Crosby).

You'd rather take the guy who's only 3 years younger and "might" be the best D, even though it's unlikely?

Some real questionable responses here.

Laineux

Aug 1, 2011
Get carried away? I don't doubt for a second that Dahlin is going to be one of the best defenceman in the league once he adjusts to the NA game. He has the potential to be the best D in the world. We'll see if he gets there.

You'll see if he gets there. Meanwhile McDavid is busy sweeping the league awards.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Can you imagine if COL gets him and puts him and Makar on the same pairing and Makar reaches his potential?
Dahlin and Makar wouldnt play on the same pair if they were on the same team.
I was gunna say, if we got both and both hit their potential; then we'd split them up and partner each with one of the big nasty boys (Zadorov & Meloche)

But that's still so soooooo many if's away from being an actual concern. Now how perfectly McIsaac & Makar would fit together, that is worth daydreaming about.

Slimmy

Jan 3, 2009
GBG
You'll see if he gets there. Meanwhile McDavid is busy sweeping the league awards.

Erik Karlsson isn't sweeping any awards. But he's still the best player in the world at the moment. I feel comfortable with my bet on Dahlin.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Erik Karlsson isn't sweeping any awards. But he's still the best player in the world at the moment. I feel comfortable with my bet on Dahlin.
No, he's at least 3rd best. McDavid and Crosby are more impactful players. The writers and player voters are getting this right. I don't really see how you can argue against Crosby being the best player in the league given his impact over the past few years.

Luddowich

May 1, 2013
Sweden
Young defencemen are generally less of a sure thing than forwards.

Dahlin could end up anywhere from a good middle pairing defenceman to a generational Lidstromesque superhuman.

This is the reason why defencemen usually don't go first OA in the draft.
And this exact argument is further why he's AT LEAST deserving to be talked as a generational talent/prospect.
Defensemen shouldn't go number one according to every one but despite that Dahlin is at this point pretty much the consensus number 1 for this draft (90%) with a Laine/Matthews esque talent at number 2. That doesn't speak on Svechnikov, it speaks on how incredibly special Dahlin is. Doing it all, as a defenseman.

Everyone is then again, entitled to their own opinion but the fact that a group of people are saying that Dahlin can't be a generational talent because NA person X haven't said so is just hilarious.
Fact is, for that person to say something. We'll have to wait post WJC.

I'm still waiting for someone to tell me what Dahlin would have to do statistically or in play for him to AT LEAST be considered a generational talent.

Slimmy

Jan 3, 2009
GBG
No, he's at least 3rd best. McDavid and Crosby are more impactful players. The writers and player voters are getting this right. I don't really see how you can argue against Crosby being the best player in the league given his impact over the past few years.

We've had Ovy at the top at some points as well as Malkin during Crosbys career. But I agree that Crosbys body of work makes him the better player over time. But right now, on a single season basis, it's Karlsson. Counting Karlssons body of work proves its no fluke. He's never been better, never been more dominant. It's clear as day that Karlsson was the best player in the NHL last season. Add to that that Crosby is starting to tail off. He has seen his peak already. We don't know if Karlsson has reached his yet.

And as for McDavid. That playoffs he had was lackluster at best, in comparison. Karlsson dominates his peers like no other player in the league.

Last edited:

PatrikBerglund

May 29, 2017
And this exact argument is further why he's AT LEAST deserving to be talked as a generational talent/prospect.
Defensemen shouldn't go number one according to every one but despite that Dahlin is at this point pretty much the consensus number 1 for this draft (90%) with a Laine/Matthews esque talent at number 2. That doesn't speak on Svechnikov, it speaks on how incredibly special Dahlin is. Doing it all, as a defenseman.

Everyone is then again, entitled to their own opinion but the fact that a group of people are saying that Dahlin can't be a generational talent because NA person X haven't said so is just hilarious.

I'm still waiting for someone to tell me what Dahlin would have to do statistically or in play for him to AT LEAST be considered a generational talent.

I think people expect him to light the SHL up as a 17 year old defenceman, which is easier said than done. One of the most defensive and tactical leagues in the world.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
We've had Ovy at the top at some points as well as Malkin during Crosbys career. But I agree that Crosbys body of work makes him the better player over time. But right now, on a single season basis, it's Karlsson. Counting Karlssons body of work proves its no fluke. He's never been better, never been more dominant. It's clear as day that Karlsson was the best player in the NHL last season. Add to that that Crosby is starting to tail off. He has seen his peak already. We don't know if Karlsson has reached his yet.

And as for McDavid. That playoffs he had was lackluster at best, in comparison. Karlsson dominates his peers like no other player in the league.
No, he really isn't. Crosby has been better over the last 3 years, it isn't just track record. There's a reason why your opinion is in the extreme minority, and neither the writers or fellow players agree with you.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto

He would have to play to a level where 10 out of 10 people would take him over McDavid at the same age. Which is so unlikely to happen.

But, if you want a threshold. He would have to be the top defenceman in the SHL, as a 17 year old McDavid would have been the best player in the SHL.

Its also not clear Svechnikov is a Matthews/Eichel level talent this point, or that Dahlin would even go over those 2 if in the same draft.

bob27

Grzelcyk is a top pairing defenceman
Apr 2, 2015
Imagine if he was a Finnish Leafs prospects. We would have to invent a new tier above generational for him.

BonAppleTea

May 16, 2013
It's like you are 8 years old and competing over whose dad is the strongest.

Yea it is getting a bit silly.

New game today against Färjestad, should be a good one. Unfortunately unable to watch it but he seems to be getting good amount of time on ice every game now. Made some youthful mistakes the games I have watched (but overall played very well) but it seems like Rönnberg is very confident in him both during game time and in interviews. Frölunda is great at developing talent, this will be a very nice one for their track record if it keeps on rolling like this.
A shame that I can't love Frölunda due to geographic location, it would've been nice to be able to cheer them on for other reasons than their prospects :laugh:

Last edited:

Slimmy

Jan 3, 2009
GBG
No, he really isn't. Crosby has been better over the last 3 years, it isn't just track record. There's a reason why your opinion is in the extreme minority, and neither the writers or fellow players agree with you.
That's about to change. This is the era of Karlsson.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad