LD Rasmus Dahlin - Frolunda HC, SHL (2018, 1st, BUF) Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Yeah, because for him to look like Orr he would have to be a McDavid level skater which he isn't, which is why its a very far reaching comparison. Orr was the best skater in the league. When someone lacks a player's iconic trait, I don't see how they are comparable.

There seems to be a desire to compare prospects to all-time greats here under the guise of stylistically, even when the players lack obvious traits which make the comparison very far reaching. There are a bunch of young defencemen who are more explosive skaters than Dahlin. He's still the best young defensive prospect in the world by a wide margin, but he isn't explosive like some such as Makar. He's elusive due to edge work and puck control. His game is unique, but not Bobby Orr like. And that's before even getting into how fundamentally different the game is from the mid-60's.

Like most very high-end talents, he plays like himself and in a unique style. Crosby and McDavid don't really play like anyone else before them. McDavid has Bure like traits with a more play making approach. Crosby plays a combination of skill, grit and lowerbody puck protection that I can't place on anyone else.
Bobby Orr's skating was never as good as McDavid's or Bure's so I don't know why that should be the single factor in determining if a player is "x" and not "x".

Personally I see a lot of Bobby Orr in Dahlin's game, that doesn't mean he will come close to achieving the same accomplishments or even talent, but style it's close. I see a lot of swag, a lot of desire, and a lot of wanting to make a difference between the two players. Much more to Orr's game than OEL where I don't really see any resemblance at all. Nor Karlsson for that matter. A lot of those players who are more explosive than Dahlin, don't have Orr's frame or spunk that Dahlin does. I suggest it's quite reasonable to compare the two because I see a lot of similarities myself.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Bobby Orr's skating was never as good as McDavid's or Bure's so I don't know why that should be the single factor in determining if a player is "x" and not "x".

Personally I see a lot of Bobby Orr in Dahlin's game, that doesn't mean he will come close to achieving the same accomplishments or even talent, but style it's close. I see a lot of swag, a lot of desire, and a lot of wanting to make a difference between the two players. Much more to Orr's game than OEL where I don't really see any resemblance at all. Nor Karlsson for that matter. A lot of those players who are more explosive than Dahlin, don't have Orr's frame or spunk that Dahlin does. I suggest it's quite reasonable to compare the two because I see a lot of similarities myself.

I think people can take comparisons a little too literally sometimes.

I mean, Leaf's Travis Dermott reminds me of Duncan Keith, I don't think he'll put up those points or will win a Norris but I see some Keith when I watch Dermott.

Luddowich

May 1, 2013
Sweden
I think people can take comparisons a little too literally sometimes.

I mean, Leaf's Travis Dermott reminds me of Duncan Keith, I don't think he'll put up those points or will win a Norris but I see some Keith when I watch Dermott.
I think the problem is a lot of people mix up stylistical comparison and talent comparison. Personally i say that Rasmus Dahlin looks like Rasmus Dahlin since i've never seen anyone play like him.

Still, i think what really seperates Dahlin from others is the fact that he doesn't seem to be able to get stressed or faced by anything, he just has that drive to take a bigger place every time he steps on the ice. No matter if he'd be a 16 year old playing on the first pairing at the world cup of hockey. He'd still play the same game and want more. Sure theres other players like that but when you combine that with the other traits he posses, the size, IQ, vision, swagger, skating and especially the stickhandling you get one very unique player.

Most 17 year old players would just make the easy pass to the other defenseman in the SHL to avoid being emberassed. Dahlin just goes out there and takes over.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto

Orr was the fastest skater of his era, or atleast among the top 3 among Hull and yvan Cournoyer. His skating was absolutely McDavid like relative to his peers. His skating compared to his peers was a massive advantage, particularly his explosiveness, which simply isn't a huge strength for Dahlin. Who is extremely agile and smooth, but not particularly explosive.

JAS 39 Gripen

Jun 26, 2011
Stockholm
So you're saying that not only will Dahlen become a top-10 offensive defenseman, but also a top-10 defensive defenseman?

Why not? Hes got the tools, hes got the skill, he only needs to put it all together and some luck ofc. Oh, it's Dahlin btw.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
Why not? Hes got the tools, hes got the skill, he only needs to put it all together and some luck ofc. Oh, it's Dahlin btw.

Auto corrected, my bad.

He has the skillset and tools, but even Karlsson and Hedman don't come close to OEL defensively.

PatrikBerglund

May 29, 2017
Actually not ... OEL is far and away the best defensively.

Not true.

He is AS good defensively as he is offensively, but he isn't better than Karlsson or Hedman in either category. Perhaps better than Hedman offensively, as I think past season was an anomaly on his part. Hedman is more of a 55-60 point player and OEL is capable of that on a better team than Arizona has been in the past.

They are all comparable defensively, there's not a chance that OEL is "far and away the best" though.

1OApick

Jun 29, 2016
You know exactly what I meant. Dahlin is not a generational prospect like McDavid.

This is NA vs Europe debate. Many Euros see Dahlin as a generational talent but NA fans don't. Dahlin may be a generational talent im not sure myself.

Luddowich

May 1, 2013
Sweden
You know exactly what I meant. Dahlin is not a generational prospect like McDavid.
I'm always curious about this, what would Dahlin need to do in order to be labeled a "generational prospect"?
Because compared to arguably the 2 best defensemen in the world he's on a whole nother tier compared to both at the same at the same age.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->