LD Quinton Hughes - U of Michigan, Big Ten (2018, 7th, VAN)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
What I like about Brannstrom is the way he plays along the blue line. He never just takes a shot for the sake of taking a shot, when there’s too much traffic in front of him. He’s super smart when it comes to creating shooting lanes, which works well with his skating and puck skills, as well as a strong shot with a quick release.

What I like about Hughes is how effortlessly he carries the puck (although Brannstrom's good at that too). I have to say that I haven't seen enough of Hughes to judge which player is better. But in the U18 gold-medal game, Hughes was arguably the best player.

Completely agree. I think so many people use Karlsson as an example for these kinds of players because Karlsson can do all of this at an elite level but none of these kids have the complete package he does.

Brannstrom is also really good at generating off the rush

Hughes is just on another level when it comes to creating plays though..

If this draft class keeps playing the way it has my sweet mercy we will have a friggen boat load of talent.

ManUtdTobbe

Jun 28, 2016
Sweden
Hughes and Brännström are good comparables, i think Hughes is as good defensively as Brännström too, he's no slouch defensively.

Hughes has another gear offensively aswell, he's the better playmaker. While i get the age argument you can also say that Hughes will get another year of developing before his draft, hence he might be a lot better come draft day.

If Hughes was a few weeks older i would have had him ranked #1 in the 2017 draft with Brännström #5. Hughes should be a lock for top 10 2018 unless his play falls off a cliff.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
I’ve seen Hughes up close twice now both on the glass and up high and this kid warrants his draft hype. In both games (including one against the Gophers) he looked like the most skilled guy on the ice. His vision is on display every other shift. Great passer, skater, and playmaker. Even in a chippy, physical game against Minnesota, he held his own and was very evasive.

My favorite thing about him so far is how he reads the play. He plays that 4th forward style but he knows exactly when to get back on the defensive. He is not weak defensively at all. Would deserve to go top 10.

Reactions: clevelandcane

thefeebster

Mar 13, 2009
Vancouver
Just thought i'd share a very belated video i made of Hughes' play in the Spring U18s. I think what stood out to me is his patience and his ability to control the play. Button said he is a one-man zone entry machine. That is no exaggeration. I'd like to see his advanced stats and controlled entries/exits.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
He's out scoring Cale Makar in the NCAA and he's a full year younger

This kid is the real deal

He would be a perfect fit on the Sabres, they really need an elite puck moving Defencemen that can get the puck to their playmakers through the neutral zone. Hughes is a top 5 pick IMO. His size may turn some scouts off, so he may end up as a draft steal. I for one would take him without hesitation.

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

Tom sestito

Oct 27, 2014
Has anyone watched any of his Michigan games? I've only seen highlights of him and he looks like an impact player.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
Has anyone watched any of his Michigan games? I've only seen highlights of him and he looks like an impact player.

A client of mine has basically become a friend. He is A2-raised and a huge Michigan guy when it comes to football, hockey and baseball. He invites me to almost every hockey game. Turns out a friend of mine from abroad (European) became a Michigan professor and goes to the hockey games now too. He has tickets for his wife and infant son too but they almost never come. End result is me spending half the game with my client in the 2nd row at ice level this season and the other half of the game up high with my client and friend behind the net. I’ve been to 5 Michigan home games now and basically eagle-eye Hughes all game (if he’s not on the ice then I scout Norris/Dancs or the opposing team’s pro-picks). I’m a Michigan alum myself so, win or lose, it’s a pretty good night (except this past werkend).

From everything I’ve seen of Hughes, he’s a gem. When it comes to amateurly “scouting” players, one of my favorite keys is body language. Does a guy look confused or analytical? Confident or unsure? Frustrated or competitive? And body language away from the play is all the more important - Q always looks engaged and analytical there. He hounds the play mentally.

As far as strength for his size and skating go, zero concerns. Passing - top notch. Such a great first pass, even on his off-hand. Vision - great. His shot could use some work but it’s still accurate when needed but also versatile in that he executes a shot/pass off the boards very well.

As far as real pros/cons go, I think my big positive difference-maker sign is that this kid will jump into the play as 4th forward but is also one step ahead of the play so he is often prepared to be the first guy back. He’s the type of guy that makes you worry about his confidence in jumping up if you aren’t familiar with him but still ends up in the right position to make the smart defensive play.

As far as any real cons, it concerns me how many of his plays go unconsummated. I think a lot of people want to blame teammates when that happens but I also wonder about the player himself. His vision might be great enough to get his team into the o-zone with possession but he misses something offensively when it comes to scoring chances despite his presence.

All in all, this kid is a stud and should be a top 10 pick. I think he’s better than Brannstrom and Makar. But as much as I love his game and his raw talent, I’m not quite ready to hitch my wagon to him. Im very excited to see his second half though.

Reactions: ps241

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
He's out scoring Cale Makar in the NCAA and he's a full year younger

This kid is the real deal

Program helps though too. Makar's not got the sort of collegiate talent up front that Hughes does with the Wolverines. That doesn't take anything away from Hughes' skill level, but in terms of raw production, Makar could use the help.

Castle8130

May 9, 2017
Agreed the 2018 draft is loaded with tons of D and the 2019 draft with tons of Centers.
I don't think next years draft will be all that great aside from jack hughes who I think could be better than dahlin and/or svechnikov. Even this years draft isn't all that great, besides dmen and a few wingers.
The 2020 draft will be an ultra draft though, I think it could be as good as the 2003 draft.

Tom sestito

Oct 27, 2014
I like this kid. He's the total offensive package.

Has some defensive deficiencies, which are broo bale, but I wonder if that will get better when he learns to play at his size better

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I don't think next years draft will be all that great aside from jack hughes who I think could be better than dahlin and/or svechnikov. Even this years draft isn't all that great, besides dmen and a few wingers.
The 2020 draft will be an ultra draft though, I think it could be as good as the 2003 draft.
2020 is way too early to start getting excited about. So many kids fail to take that next step from elite travel teams to the CHL and such. Its promising. No drafts should be compared to 2003. That draft is an aberration. Very few drafts produce multiple franchise players outside the top 10.

I'd be a bit surprised to see Jack Hughes viewed as better than Dahlin. But, we have a while to go. 2019 atleast as a guy who looks like he could be a proto-typical franchise center in Dach, although we have a long way to go. Byram and Cozens also look good from out west. Another down year for Ontario though.

As for Quinn, he's dynamic, but he really needs to work on his defensive play. He's unlikely to ever be a force on the boards, so he's going to have to perfect his angles to be a top pairing defender, and not a guy like Gostisbehere, who can be played in your top 4 with the right partner but is high-end on the power-play.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
I like this kid. He's the total offensive package.

Has some defensive deficiencies, which are broo bale, but I wonder if that will get better when he learns to play at his size better

I've seen Hughes play a ton this year. Mostly live. No, I'm not an expert of his nor am I a professional hockey scout but I am a huge hockey fan who is happy to give what I hope is unbiased input:

IMO, Hughes' best and most underrated aspect of his game - the thing that makes him worthy of his draft ranking - is that he does know how to play at his size. In fact, I'm not sure I've ever seen a potential or current NHLer who is more aware of the impact his size has on his game. He has clearly learned to analyze the play to a degree that he can anticipate the play and get out ahead of the physicality. As a Wings fan, Hughes is reminiscent of Datsyuk - a guy who was lauded for being flashy and sexy but also condemned for being soft and weak defensively in his first couple NHL seasons. If you casually watch Hughes, he can appear to be disengaged, but if you really watch Hughes, you can almost see the wheels turning. He is very much a student of the game.

The other under-appreciated part of Hughes game at his size is that he doesn't have that small man chip on his shoulder. He is not the kind of guy who will feel the need to make a hit or engage physically to prove that his size doesn't matter. Hughes knows that his size matters. In fact, I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that Hughes said himself that he has always been the smallest or one of the smaller guys on the ice. He isn't some post-pubescent boy who was always an average-sized bloke but didn't get the god-given growth spurt he thought he deserved. He's always been the little guy and he's seemingly made peace with that.

As far as his defensive deficiencies go, he has a hard time in front of the net and I think he always will. That's just the nature of a smaller guy with a shorter stick. But the kid who had trouble with the transition on the backcheck in tonights blizzard of a game against Canada is not the guy I've seen the past several months. He's usually two steps ahead of that play and if not, he can make up the ground handily.

With respect to his work along the boards, he is surprisingly adequate. He's not some defensive stud there (or anywhere, unless we're talking about possession, takeaways, and anticipation) but he is much better than someone of his stature should be.

His biggest pitfall defensively to me will be his stick. He is not great with his stick in a defensive posture. Thats not surprising given his size but its something that really needs to be improved and could be, if only modestly.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I've watched him in all the U-20 WJC games and six times with Michigan so far this season. He's grown on me throughout the season, even more so in the last few weeks with Michigan since seeing him at the U-20's. His mobility and his brain are top notch. He initiates, he explodes up the ice with the puck on his stick but he so often is where he needs to be in his own zone to turn the play quickly. I want to not like him - but he's won me over watching him with the Wolverines.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad