LD Quinton Hughes - U of Michigan, Big Ten (2018, 7th, VAN)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
He's #2 in this draft IMO. No one else dominates the game like he does; all that separates him from Dahlin is 4 inches and he skates better.

Boqvist has that potential but why not take the guy who is all-world already?
I love Hughes just as much as anyone, but he shouldn't go top 3.

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
I love Hughes just as much as anyone, but he shouldn't go top 3.

I dont think thats far fetched if someone says they would take him at say 3, every year we have a consensus ranking and when people dont go with it some are appalled (If you didnt have puljujarvi at 3 you were looked at funny). If you want a D and your not drafting Dahlin, I dont think taking hughes at say number 3 is a travesty.

The draft likely wont go like that, but it remains to be seen who is right or wrong, time will tell. Always interesting looking back at these threads.

Last edited:

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
He's #2 in this draft IMO. No one else dominates the game like he does; all that separates him from Dahlin is 4 inches and he skates better.

Boqvist has that potential but why not take the guy who is all-world already?
No way Hughes is drafted #2 overall. He might go #6 overall but Svechnikov, Zadina Boqvist, Tkachuk guys like that will go ahead of Hughes. I'd take Evan Bouchard over Hughes he's like the 2nd best D man not named Dahlin.

pckstpr31

Jul 13, 2010
CGY
No way Hughes is drafted #2 overall. He might go #6 overall but Svechnikov, Zadina Boqvist, Tkachuk guys like that will go ahead of Hughes. I'd take Evan Bouchard over Hughes he's like the 2nd best D man not named Dahlin.

I think it'd be hard to take him over Zadina or Svech, but you could make the argument for him over Boqvist or Tkachuk. I'm also really high on Bouchard and have him over Hughes as well, but could understand someone having Hughes as the second best defenseman in the draft.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
When someone has skill like this, but warts in teachable aspects of the game you still take them.

He has elite speed, hands, poise and creativity even for the NHL level. At worst he becomes PPQB who you can shelter and expect big numbers.

But if he keeps getting better at the coachable aspects of the game? You might very well have a superstar defenceman.

You take those chances every single time over a player like Tkachuk who is more suited to be a complimentary player.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Michigan is pretty much locked into the tournament.

Probably a 3 seed.
Could be last game for scouts, so it should be quite packed in terms of NHL brass of lottery pick teams.

thelittlecoon

ELIAS PETTERSSON
Jun 19, 2017
Vancouver
His speed and creativity on the rush is elite and it looks so effortless. I think there's a chance he goes 3rd overall in the right situation. If Canucks are picking 3rd I think I'd prefer him over Zadina, don't know if I can say the same about Boqvist.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I'm thinking Boqvist, Hughes, Bouchard. Boqvist offensive upside is going to have teams drooling.
Dobson is in that group as well, possibly include Smith too.

I have them
Boqvist,..... then Hughes, Dobson, Bouchard, Smith. I think they are all top 10.. with Boqvist top 5

Feb 19, 2018
Scares me that Jim Benning might pick him ahead of Svech and Zadina.

I think if we get 2/3 in the draft we trade down to 4/5 and take whoever is left between Boqvist and Hughes because last year we apparently had Makar as our top defensive target. Shows offensive D are considered a priority for the club and getting a really good one can pretty much only be had in the draft. With Boeser and Pettersson already going to be patrolling the power play for years to come that offensive D will be singled out to get these players the puck and keep the other teams honest.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
does anyone know how many primary points he has and how many power play points he has? Boqvist for example is 96% primary points. What's hughes?

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
Hughes is actually pretty sound defensively

He's actually pretty good positionally and surprisingly good on the boards for a small guy but he consistently struggles around the net. Still not enough for me to sour on him though.

Reactions: Chainshot
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad