LD Quinton Hughes - U of Michigan, Big Ten (2018, 7th, VAN)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Having a fantastic game against Finland in the U18 5 Nations tournament right now. 1 goal and 1 assist through 2 periods, he's completely dominant on the ice.

My first viewing of him and I haven't seen all of the other top ranked players for the 2018 draft but he is looking like the real deal and a future top10 pick with elite potential.

Seems like he does everything well. Skating, hockey IQ, hands, shot. The complete package aside from maybe his size, but he doesn't even look that small out there and he still has some time to grow.

Thoughts?

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=201671

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
Having a fantastic game against Finland in the U18 5 Nations tournament right now. 1 goal and 1 assist through 2 periods, he's completely dominant on the ice.

My first viewing of him and I haven't seen all of the other top ranked players for the 2018 draft but he is looking like the real deal and a future top10 pick with elite potential.

Seems like he does everything well. Skating, hockey IQ, hands, shot. The complete package aside from maybe his size, but he doesn't even look that small out there and he still has some time to grow.

Thoughts?

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=201671

Have only read a few articles about him and he seems like one hell of a prospect but the one thing I would be very concerned is his size.

5 ft 9 is simply not tall enough IMO...

Especially with how height is usually overexaggerated in those listings

Does he look like 5 ft 9 ?

If he has grown recently and can get closer to 6ft, I easily could see top10 pick.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Have only read a few articles about him and he seems like one hell of a prospect but the one thing I would be very concerned is his size.

5 ft 9 is simply not tall enough IMO...

Especially with how height is usually overexaggerated in those listings

Does he look like 5 ft 9 ?

If he has grown recently and can get closer to 6ft, I easily could see top10 pick.

He's listed at just slightly above 5'9 and I think he is every bit of that height, if not taller. Don't think size is going to be much of an issue with him. Even if he ends up at just 5'10 it looks like he'll be good enough to be an impact defenseman in the NHL. Very impressed by his performance in todays game.

Constable

corona fiend
Mar 17, 2014
for the love of christ can we stop pretending like size has a huge impact on skill, overvaluing size gets you virtanen situations people

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
for the love of christ can we stop pretending like size has a huge impact on skill, overvaluing size gets you virtanen situations people

I agree in general.

Especially with forwards it does not really matter that much unless you are talking shutdown Centers basically.

But defenseman need a certain built to being able to excel on both sides of the ice.

There are not many guys in the league below 6 ft that can play a shutdown D game. Height and Frame usually correlate a bit. A guy below 6 ft will always have a harder time battling in front of the net than the 6 ft 4 monster...

I mean the 2018 draft looks very strong right now.

Size will absolutely limit Hughes draft stock because otherwise I agree that from what I know of him, he would absolutely be in the running for the top10...

@Zaddy Zads:

Thanks for the headsup.

Really hope he can grow an inch or two till the draft. The more exciting potential #1 D prospects available in the first round in 2018, the better for teams like my Avs ;).

ManUtdTobbe

Jun 28, 2016
Sweden
I was there watching today, this kid had an incredible game, i was very impressed. Silky smooth skater with some ridiculous offensive skills.

Worth noting is that this is a very weak Finnish team though, will be interesting to see him against Sweden on Sunday.

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO

Wow... where to start here?

I don't think anyone in this thread questioned this guy's skill. I don't think anyone in this thread (or anyone else) said that smallness = you're unskilled. In fact, I think most people make the opposite assumption. Skill has nothing to do with it. It's endurance, strength (you can pack a whole lot more muscle on a 6'2" frame than a 5'9" frame), resiliency, ability to win board battles, willingness to engage in board battles, ability to knock people off of pucks, ability to not get bowled over by rushing forwards, ability to clear a crease... all of those things will make it hard for a shorter guy to succeed in the pro game, no matter how "skilled" he is offensively.

But then you're equating the issues with big size (e.g. Virtanen) with small size (e.g. this kid). The problems with each are completely different, and saying that questioning this guy's ability to succeed in the NHL is somehow the same as what has happened with Virtanen makes no sense. Big guys are given more credit than they're due sometimes, sure. Little guys are dismissed more often than they should be, sure. But seriously, besides Spurgeon, how many sub-5'10" defensemen are successful in the NHL today? That isn't an accident.

And if you're arguing in favor of this kid because of his "skill," then you're completely ignoring the skillset that Virtanen had when he was 17 and attributing his draft number entirely to the fact that he's 6'1", which is exactly the kind of bias that you're complaining about.

Your post just makes no sense

Constable

corona fiend
Mar 17, 2014
Wow... where to start here?

I don't think anyone in this thread questioned this guy's skill. I don't think anyone in this thread (or anyone else) said that smallness = you're unskilled. In fact, I think most people make the opposite assumption. Skill has nothing to do with it. It's endurance, strength (you can pack a whole lot more muscle on a 6'2" frame than a 5'9" frame), resiliency, ability to win board battles, willingness to engage in board battles, ability to knock people off of pucks, ability to not get bowled over by rushing forwards, ability to clear a crease... all of those things will make it hard for a shorter guy to succeed in the pro game, no matter how "skilled" he is offensively.

But then you're equating the issues with big size (e.g. Virtanen) with small size (e.g. this kid). The problems with each are completely different, and saying that questioning this guy's ability to succeed in the NHL is somehow the same as what has happened with Virtanen makes no sense. Big guys are given more credit than they're due sometimes, sure. Little guys are dismissed more often than they should be, sure. But seriously, besides Spurgeon, how many sub-5'10" defensemen are successful in the NHL today? That isn't an accident.

And if you're arguing in favor of this kid because of his "skill," then you're completely ignoring the skillset that Virtanen had when he was 17 and attributing his draft number entirely to the fact that he's 6'1", which is exactly the kind of bias that you're complaining about.

Your post just makes no sense

my post makes a lot of sense; actually. had virtanen played the same style of game and was a mere 5'11; with his production he would have likely went 2nd-3rd round seeing as attaining ppg in the whl is a feat that only 60-70 skaters a year can attest to.

the idea with the virtanen point was that the canucks drafted jake virtanen over nylander and ehlers where the only visible thing that he had over both of them was his size; and now look at them- virtanen is dwelling in the minors while ehlers and nylander are both core pieces of their team. very simply, teams are still stuck in the early mindset with the notion that you can still bully a team to submission and then let the skill take over which simply doesn't work today and drafting behind that idea won't produce as many good players.

finally, the reason there is such a size gap in today's nhl is once again some teams having the mindset of size=everything. sure, if 2 players are equal in everything draft size, but when size is the only thing keeping a player afloat it's not a good gamble.

Reactions: SaskCanesFan

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
It definitely matters for defensemen. If it didn't Thomas Hickey would be a top pair guy. And he even tries to play physical, he just isn't big enough.

What about players like Enstrom, Vatanen, and Timonen in the past? I doubt many are projecting Hughes to be top pairing anyways.

Reactions: Jarey Curry

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
I'd be curious to hear thoughts on Hughes from people who have seen more of him. The game against Finland was my first viewing of him and was super impressed, so would like to know how he has looked the rest of the year. Seems like there should be more talk on a guy who is 1 point away from leading the USNTDP U18 team in points - as a defenseman.

ManUtdTobbe

Jun 28, 2016
Sweden
Had another very good game today, he's oh so very talented, wonder where he would go if he was to be drafted this June, my guess is top 10.

ManUtdTobbe

Jun 28, 2016
Sweden
Yet again he was awarded with motm by the jury, also won D-man of the tournament (and imo easily was the player of the tournament).

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Sorry if it's been mentioned but where is he playing next year? Seems he's committed to Michigan for the 2018-2019 season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad