LD Quinton Hughes - U of Michigan, Big Ten (2018, 7th, VAN)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Hughes had an impressive NCAA season. He had an impressive finish to that season. He went to the WC and played and competed with men and held his own to say the least. IMO his value coming off that is as high as it could go. His conditioning should not be questioned. He has a motor everyone can see that by watching the games. Any teams interested will further evaluate... Combine had nothing to gain for him.

Reactions: Kevin Musto

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
I’m a big fan of his game, but dodging the combine is a dumb move. Teams already know that size/strength are weaknesses for him, he’s not fooling anyone here.

He already has this “slight red flags” interview:

Dodging the combine too just makes him seem overly defensive about his size/strength. Teams are going to want him to recognize that his deficiencies in size/strength are a real issue, something that he’s going to have to constantly work on mitigating. If he gets defensive and tries to avoid the problem entirely, that’s a significant issue.

Reactions: Fire Ken Holland

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Hughes had an impressive NCAA season. He had an impressive finish to that season. He went to the WC and played and competed with men and held his own to say the least. IMO his value coming off that is as high as it could go. His conditioning should not be questioned. He has a motor everyone can see that by watching the games. Any teams interested will further evaluate... Combine had nothing to gain for him.

ITA. My guess is his participation at the World Championships where he didn't look out of place is what is dictating this. The perception of his ability is likely at an all-time high.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
He's listed as 5'10, right?
He probably knows he's 5'9.5 and he's worried that the 0.5" difference will matter for his draft position.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
His size doesn't worry me because he's going to be one of the best skaters in the NHL from the get go.

5 ft 9 isn't ideal, but I think people overrate what a few inches do. What's more important is his lower body strength and center of gravity, which both seem very good.

Reactions: Boud

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
I’m a big fan of his game, but dodging the combine is a dumb move. Teams already know that size/strength are weaknesses for him, he’s not fooling anyone here.

He already has this “slight red flags” interview:

Dodging the combine too just makes him seem overly defensive about his size/strength. Teams are going to want him to recognize that his deficiencies in size/strength are a real issue, something that he’s going to have to constantly work on mitigating. If he gets defensive and tries to avoid the problem entirely, that’s a significant issue.

There's no red flags in this interview

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
If I recall correctly, he says in that interview that he doesn't need to work on his defensive play because it's already a strength. He seems a little out of touch.

He definitely doesnt say that. He says people downplay his defensive game, and he was just defending himself saying that he feels that he is a strong defensive player. At his combine interview he clearly states that he wants to get better at everything

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
It’s odd because everyone knows he’s small so what’s the big deal? Maybe he’s smaller than he’s been listed?

To me when he was playing against men and the championships I actually thought he looked defend size wise. Didn’t look as small as I expected. I’m disappointed he didnt participate but I’m think he’s being advised by someone who told him not too. Pretty sad.

Everyone knows hes small but by not getting weighed/measured youre basically saying my listed measurements are exaggerated and I'm way smaller than you actually think.

He could be like 5'8 and a half and 150 lbs instead of the 5'10/175 lbs hes listed at. I know size isnt as important as it used to be but thats still ridiculously small to defend against the Laines/Wheelers/Getzlafs of the league. I think not doing a lot of the testing and coming for the interviews might be smart on his part, it is true he hasnt got to train in a while. But not getting measured is pretty lame. I would hope teams measured him in provate interviews

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Everyone knows hes small but by not getting weighed/measured youre basically saying my listed measurements are exaggerated and I'm way smaller than you actually think.

He could be like 5'8 and a half and 150 lbs instead of the 5'10/175 lbs hes listed at. I know size isnt as important as it used to be but thats still ridiculously small to defend against the Laines/Wheelers/Getzlafs of the league. I think not doing a lot of the testing and coming for the interviews might be smart on his part, it is true he hasnt got to train in a while. But not getting measured is pretty lame. I would hope teams measured him in provate interviews

I mean, who does he think he's kidding by not getting measured? If he's meeting these teams in person, I know a manlet when I see one and I presume professional scouts do too.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Any team that has a serious interest will invite him for further interviews and evaluation. Stepping on a scale and measuring someone's height is not a big deal. Teams that have interest will get all that info.. Do you need to see his vertical to evaluate his hockey ability ? This is getting overblown

Reactions: Frannel

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
There's no red flags in this interview
When I first saw it I thought “yeah whatever, he’s a little defensive about his size, no biggie.” But now with him also skipping the combine, I’m a little worried about “what if he’s super defensive about his shortcomings, and thus hard to coach?”.

Maybe it’s nothing - I hope it is, I love his game and would consider him seriously as high as 3rd overall. But he’s showing some personality traits that are at least slightly worrying.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I just find his excuse that he couldn't train for it a bit hollow. The kid spent a year at a university with a world class weight room and played a lesser schedule than players in Junior. Yeah, he was at the Worlds, but he could have put work in during the last off-season and during the regular season. He had pretty much a full month between the Frozen Four and the Worlds.

Its minor at the end of the day, but people do like to see the competitiveness of guys. For example, Dobson who only had 3 days between the end of the Memorial Cup and the start of the NHL combine fully participated.

derriko

Mar 7, 2009
Las Vegas
I could see why he skipped the measurements.

College hockey is the least amount of games out of any league...if you can’t put on muscle in all that off time then you probably don’t have the genetics to build much mass at all.

Reactions: Fire Ken Holland

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Maybe he’s trying to hide his true height ? Or maybe he doesn’t want to make the headline of not being able to do any pull-ups ?

Schroeder was listed as5 9.5 but in reality he was actually 5.7.

Either way i doubt he will skip that far anyways, wether he gets drafted 6th overall or 17th overall his entry level could contract is pretty much the same. Hey he might slip to Florida, those guys never had a Florida born player play foe

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I see him dropping on some lists. If this is the case someone around #10 is going to strike gold to pick Hughes this late.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
He's not dropping to #10

Keep dreaming Oilers

I used Bobby Mac's consensus draft list of Hughes dropping from #6 to #9. His is the only compiled list I would trust if one wants to see how scouts opinions are trending. Close. FYI I have him ranked a lot higher if he drops to #10

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->