LD Quinton Hughes - U of Michigan, Big Ten (2018, 7th, VAN)

Status
Not open for further replies.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
? so any team that passes up on him is stupid now?

this forum is amazing.
well there is some merit to the Wings/Hughes thing.

played his past 3 plus years in the Red Wings back yard...

they need defense...

local boy...

their head coach just got the chance for 3 weeks to poke and prod him, and from everything Blashill has said, he thinks the kid is wonderful...I wouldn't call the Wings stupid if they passed on Hughes, but I don't know how much more things need to align to see where a player is pretty much going to go.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
well there is some merit to the Wings/Hughes thing.

played his past 3 plus years in the Red Wings back yard...

they need defense...

local boy...

their head coach just got the chance for 3 weeks to poke and prod him, and from everything Blashill has said, he thinks the kid is wonderful...I wouldn't call the Wings stupid if they passed on Hughes, but I don't know how much more things need to align to see where a player is pretty much going to go.

good info to know.

got a strong source from someone that knows Holland, apparently they "really" like Evan Bouchard.

Reactions: Fire Ken Holland

jvr32

Oct 24, 2016
With Tyler Wright as Detroit's director of amateur scouting and need for defense, it is surprising if they pass on Bouchard or Tkachuk (if he's there). #character

Reactions: mantha39

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
good info to know.

got a strong source from someone that knows Holland, apparently they "really" like Evan Bouchard.
I don't care who, just need one team to f*** up so the Hawks get either Hughes or Bouchard...that means someone needs to take Boqvist in the top 7...please someone do that, and I will be happy.

Hughes Hefner

May 12, 2018
They're stupid, That pretty ignorant statement there. Larkin roomed with Hughes at the Worlds and he does play at the University of Michigan. So you figure it out.
Figure what out? What is Larkin going to pound on the draft table and demand they take Hughes. I hope he does and I hope they listen but forgive me for being skeptical of the wing's braintrust. This is the same group that gave your boy johnathan Ericsson a asinine contract that's hamstrung the team the team along with many other horrible contracts given out by Holland and Ryan Martin the supposed capolgist . There up against the cap more than any team in the league and they blow. So I will just keep making "ignorant statements"based on there track record.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
I don't care who, just need one team to **** up so the Hawks get either Hughes or Bouchard...that means someone needs to take Boqvist in the top 7...please someone do that, and I will be happy.

I'm thinking exactly the same thing, I want Hughes or Bouchard.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
The comparison of other notable D-men chosen in the first round who played their draft season in the NCAA.
Obviously conferences should be taken into account but he is in good company
Hughes being the oldest, but all ages were at the beginning of the year
edited_page.png

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
I think he's a real option at 3 for the Habs. LD is our top need after C, he's NHL ready, and we have the perfect guy for him to develop with in Weber.
Agreed. It’s a real tough draft to predict, though. Dahlin/Svechnikov are a clear 1/2, but after that Hughes, Zadina, Tkachuk, Dobson, Boqvist, Bouchard and Wahlstrom are all so close, I can see 3-9 going in almost any order. And very likely there will be some surprises, with other players slipping into the top 9.

Hughes would be my personal pick at 3, but actual draft order, who knows. Zadina does seem the safest bet to go 3rd, and he’s real good, but I personally prefer Hughes.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Chances Hughes is available at 7 when the Canucks pick?
If Hughes is still on the board when the Canucks draft, they're sprinting to the podium....but just don't see it happening....more likely they have to settle for one of Dobson, Walstrom or Bouchard, which is a pretty solid 'consolation'.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
Agreed. It’s a real tough draft to predict, though. Dahlin/Svechnikov are a clear 1/2, but after that Hughes, Zadina, Tkachuk, Dobson, Boqvist, Bouchard and Wahlstrom are all so close, I can see 3-9 going in almost any order. And very likely there will be some surprises, with other players slipping into the top 9.

Hughes would be my personal pick at 3, but actual draft order, who knows. Zadina does seem the safest bet to go 3rd, and he’s real good, but I personally prefer Hughes.
Zadina is an amazing prospect, and I actually have him right there with Svechnikov due to his NHL style game and will to score. We just are loaded with LH wingers, so I think Hughes makes more sense in that regard. Ultimately though Zadina might just be too good to pass on, McKenzie called him the best goal scorer in the draft and we need goals.

WHISTLERNATE

Nov 14, 2017
How close is Hughes to being NHL ready? He already has a year at UM and th WHC under his belt. Is it unreasonable to think that he has a shot at cracking an NHL roster out of camp?

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
How close is Hughes to being NHL ready? He already has a year at UM and th WHC under his belt. Is it unreasonable to think that he has a shot at cracking an NHL roster out of camp?

Probably because unless he decides to leave college first he won’t actually be at his NHL club’s training camp. College players can’t attend and retain their eligibility. Or maybe they can but would have to pay their way (flight, room, etc) not sure exactly which it is. Either way they never do.

thedoubledown

May 24, 2018
Probably because unless he decides to leave college first he won’t actually be at his NHL club’s training camp. College players can’t attend and retain their eligibility. Or maybe they can but would have to pay their way (flight, room, etc) not sure exactly which it is. Either way they never do.
He can attend the summer development/rookie camp.

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007

His skating, passing, and vision are NHL ready, but I'm guessing he'll end up at Michigan for one more season and then make a full time impact at the NHL the following year - eerily similar to Werenski.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad