LD Quinton Hughes - U of Michigan, Big Ten (2018, 7th, VAN)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
He's a dynamic player. He's playing his way into a big role on the WJC team. Very similar player to Gostisbehere, although Hughes is more advanced at the same age.

I don't really see Ghost, I think Hughes is on another level. Reminds a bit of Faulk at the same age, similar skillset but much more polished.

AppsSyl

May 28, 2015
Hughes looked great out there today. I have read about his brother Jack who is the favourite to go #1 in 2019, but didn't know much about Quinton. I wouldn't be surprised if crept into the conversation for the top 5 in 2018 if he keeps it up, especially if he grows a little as well.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
I don't really see Ghost, I think Hughes is on another level. Reminds a bit of Faulk at the same age, similar skillset but much more polished.

Hughes is definitely on a different level than Ghost at this age, but the comparison was more in terms of style. Both smaller guys that are elite skaters that can handle the puck and really fire it as well.

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
Hughes is definitely on a different level than Ghost at this age, but the comparison was more in terms of style. Both smaller guys that are elite skaters that can handle the puck and really fire it as well.

Yes but Ghost couldn't defend at this level and still can't at the NHL level. He is one of the worst defencemen in the league in his own end.

Hughes isn't like that. He's like a Neidermyer out there. Great gap control and zone exits and elite offensive talent.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
This draft is shaping up to be very deep. Lots of guys looking really good over the last few days.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
In my brief viewing I found him reminiscent of Karlsson .... Not sure he has the same speed , but the poise, hands puck control, and body positioning are all similar.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
In my brief viewing I found him reminiscent of Karlsson .... Not sure he has the same speed , but the poise, hands puck control, and body positioning are all similar.

Karlsson's name gets thrown around for anyone with above average skating and offensive ability. We need to start getting more creative with our comparisons. :laugh:

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
Kid is fantastic, been the most impressive player overall so far in this showcase. I can't see a 5'9" dman going 1st overall. Some team is going to be very fortunate. I know it's a long way to draft day and how much things can and will change but I predict he goes 3rd overall.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
He's been a beast for USA every time he has put on the jersey this year.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL

I said it in another thread, but to me he's a more dynamic version of Shayne Gostisbehere. Perhaps unfair to others in the 2018 draft since they won't play until September, but I got him as the third best defender after Dalhin and Wilde. Somewhere between 5th and 10th, which I think is really amazing considering he's 5'9". Superb player, my favourite of the draft by far even if he won't become the best.

What about Letang?

Lethal wrister, excellent skating, good vision and poise. Prime Letang.
It's easy to say that he's like every good offencive-defencemen in the league, however, one of Letang's major strengths to his game is his physicality. Hughes is like the opposite of a defender with a mean streak so it's strange to say "that he's like Letang except his hitting game" or "he'z just like Weber, but without his shot". It sounds really dumb in the end.

Tryamkin

May 18, 2015
Canada
Yeah he's gonna be moving up all year at the rate he's playing at. Not a fan of the Letang comparison, he doesn't play the same physical game at all. Wristers are accurate comparison though. Undersized player again much like a Cale Makar who has shown dynamic offensive ability. Very fast, puck control and handling, tracks very much so like Makar. I can see him sneaking into the top 5 come seasons end.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Yeah he's gonna be moving up all year at the rate he's playing at. Not a fan of the Letang comparison, he doesn't play the same physical game at all. Wristers are accurate comparison though. Undersized player again much like a Cale Makar who has shown dynamic offensive ability. Very fast, puck control and handling, tracks very much so like Makar. I can see him sneaking into the top 5 come seasons end.

Agreed, pretty much the Brian Rafalski/Brian Campbell type of defenders in both of them. I do think Hughes ends up being better than Makar though.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Brannstrom went 15th this year in a worse draft. He's younger, better defensively and has a track record against men.

I think around 25th might be where Hughes gets drafted.

Tryamkin

May 18, 2015
Canada
Agreed, pretty much the Brian Rafalski/Brian Campbell type of defenders in both of them. I do think Hughes ends up being better than Makar though.

Yeah, for sure. Trending at the same rate he is I can see him Pass Makar easily.

Tryamkin

May 18, 2015
Canada
Brannstrom went 15th this year in a worse draft. He's younger, better defensively and has a track record against men.

I think around 25th might be where Hughes gets drafted.

Disagree. This year will show for sure but he's trending way pst Brannstrom.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Disagree. This year will show for sure but he's trending way pst Brannstrom.

How? Unless he's Erik Karlsson offensively, I don't understand how he's better than Brannstrom. Brannstrom is better defensively than Hughes, he's the same height, same position, same level of skating, younger and has experience against men. Is the level of offense really that much higher?

Thats not to say Hughes won't go higher than Brannstrom did, he might, Makar went higher than Brannstrom, which made no sense to me, but it would mostly be because Hughes is from NA.

Tryamkin

May 18, 2015
Canada
How? Unless he's Erik Karlsson offensively, I don't understand how he's better than Brannstrom. Brannstrom is better defensively than Hughes, he's the same height, same position, same level of skating, younger and has experience against men. Is the level of offense really that much higher?

Thats not to say Hughes won't go higher than Brannstrom did, he might, Makar went higher than Brannstrom, which made no sense to me, but it would mostly be because Hughes is from NA.

In a way he is Erik Karlsson offensively :laugh: He's evolving his offensive game and it's on the rise.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills

I think he's on a different level myself in terms of offensive skill. Hughes is pretty damn good defensively for his size. I thought Brannstrom struggled heavily along the boards and against anyone with a heavy game. Hughes shows more ability in those areas to get possession and get the puck up ice via his skating and passing in a more efficient way IMO. I also think Hughes is a bit better with puck on his stick. Brannstrom is good but Hughes stickhandling is very very good.

jnk96

Feb 25, 2013
At the rink.
i think he's on a different level myself in terms of offensive skill. Hughes is pretty damn good defensively for his size. I thought brannstrom struggled heavily along the boards and against anyone with a heavy game. Hughes shows more ability in those areas to get possession and get the puck up ice via his skating and passing in a more efficient way imo. I also think hughes is a bit better with puck on his stick. Brannstrom is good but hughes stickhandling is very very good.

What I like about Brannstrom is the way he plays along the blue line. He never just takes a shot for the sake of taking a shot, when there’s too much traffic in front of him. He’s super smart when it comes to creating shooting lanes, which works well with his skating and puck skills, as well as a strong shot with a quick release.

What I like about Hughes is how effortlessly he carries the puck (although Brannstrom's good at that too). I have to say that I haven't seen enough of Hughes to judge which player is better. But in the U18 gold-medal game, Hughes was arguably the best player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->