LD Quinton Hughes - U of Michigan, NCAA (2018, 7th, VAN) Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Jack is a 2001 birthday which means his real highschool graduation year is 2019. He cant play in NCAA unless if he accelerated his schooling (takes a lot of effort, basically doing entire grade 12 year online in a few months). Quinn didn't know if he was going to be in the NHL or not. It was extremely difficult to guarantee both players would play together without sacrificing something.

Apparently Jack was doing accelerated classes but fell a few credits short in the end. That’s why he was undecided about Michigan up until mid-July. If he wasn’t already taking accelerated classes Michigan never would have been a consideration.

Grantham

Mar 28, 2017
Some people can have all the evidence staring them in the face and they will still be afraid of an NCAA prospect going FA.

Reason and logic will not convince them.

Reactions: Dempsey

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
It’s good value for 7th. That’s a bloody high pick mate. Hedman or Doughty at 7 is a “massive steal”.

I disagree, any Top Pairing Dman who has been finalists for Norris Awards are amazing value outside of top 3-5 in a draft.

Grantham

Mar 28, 2017
Is it outrageous to say MTL or Ottawa should have taken this kid 3rd or 4th overall?

I’d say it depends.

Montreal: Desperately needed a center. They got a late draft riser, which is usually a very good thing. He’s big, smart, plays two-ways. Tons of untapped potential in this Finnish kid once he gets stronger legs.

Ottawa: Have the best Defensemen in the world as of right now. Now they may have been playing their cards and hoping they can get a modern version of Todd Bertuzzi and still keep Karlsson. I think Brady is going to cause riots, he is really good at his craft. I don’t think things are looking rosy on the Karlsson front but that is because of inept management. As a Canucks fan I deeply sympathize.

So I would say these are fine choices. Quinn was my preferred pick at our spot, so I’m very excited to have him. This was the biggest organizational need and we may have finally found something.

But time will ultimately tell the real story. Lots can happen in their development still. Very intrigued by the top 13 or so in this draft. Very exciting to be able to see how they all develop!

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
We better get Jack Hughes or I think Quinn Hughes leaves as a UFA first chance he gets to play with his brother.

Why do people always assume brothers want to play together? I wouldn’t want to play with my brother. He’s good friends with Brady Tkachuk, does that mean he’s gonna go to Ottawa? Maybe he grew up a big Doughty fan and wants to play in LA?

mouz135

Apr 27, 2013
Why do people always assume brothers want to play together? I wouldn’t want to play with my brother. He’s good friends with Brady Tkachuk, does that mean he’s gonna go to Ottawa? Maybe he grew up a big Doughty fan and wants to play in LA?
Jack and Quinn have both stated that they want to play together

Reactions: lawrence

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
I disagree, any Top Pairing Dman who has been finalists for Norris Awards are amazing value outside of top 3-5 in a draft.

Your standard for “amazing value” (or “MASSIVE STEAL” which were your original words) is ridiculously low. 7 is a whopping TWO spots away from 5.

“Finalist” lol

Long live hyperbole I guess.

Reactions: Mathew Barzal

Mathew Barzal

Walk It Like I Tocchet
Jun 5, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Is it outrageous to say MTL or Ottawa should have taken this kid 3rd or 4th overall?

It's not outrageous, but Montreal is in a pretty shitty spot prospects wise. They need everything, if I was in their position it's a coin flip between Kotkaniemi and Hughes/Dobson. You certainly can't fault them for picking Kotkaniemi.

Grub

First Line Troll
Jun 30, 2008
B.C
It's not outrageous, but Montreal is in a pretty ****ty spot prospects wise. They need everything, if I was in their position it's a coin flip between Kotkaniemi and Hughes/Dobson. You certainly can't fault them for picking Kotkaniemi.
Who would have thought that Galchenyuk would not pan out, I was sure that that guy was a bonifide first line player.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Jack and Quinn have both stated that they want to play together

Meh, would you expect any brothers to say they don’t want to play together when asked by the Media?

Not meaningful unless there’s a whole lot more to situation, a la the Sedins.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Only time will tell. Personally, I’m a big fan and would have taken him 3rd. But much better hockey minds took other guys 3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th. We’ll have a much better idea in 3-5 years.

G0bias

Oct 4, 2007
MTL
Who would have thought that Galchenyuk would not pan out, I was sure that that guy was a bonifide first line player.
He's a first line player, just hasn't established himself there as a center (for a variety of reasons I won't go into). But I wouldn't rule it out depending how Arizona plans to work with him.

As for Hughes I'm excited to see how he does this year in Michigan as he had one of the better D-years in the NCAA in recent memory.

Thebesthockey

Aug 6, 2013
He's a first line player, just hasn't established himself there as a center (for a variety of reasons I won't go into). But I wouldn't rule it out depending how Arizona plans to work with him.

As for Hughes I'm excited to see how he does this year in Michigan as he had one of the better D-years in the NCAA in recent memory.

no galchenyuk just didnt pan out in mtl
its on mtl not galchenyuk

he IS a centre
will prove it in arizona

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->