LD Philip Broberg - Bakersfield Condors, AHL (2019, 8th, EDM) Part 2

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
Looks like he scored in yesterday's 4-1 win over Djurgarden. I take it he's coming along well with his injury?

devilsfan35

Jun 15, 2015
Is he a physical d-man? Does he block shot/kill power plays?

what his floor/upside

Sweetpotato

Jan 10, 2014
Edmonton

what his floor/upside
Hes not overly physical but he throws a bit hit when the opportunity presents itself. I have no idea whether he's adept on the penalty kill.

Floor: bottom pair shutdown dman.
Ceiling: OEL type.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020

what his floor/upside

Swedish Jack Johnson.

He makes some troublesome decisions with the puck and loses his man in the zone a lot to indecision. Great athletic abilities, and can be a horse when he wants to be. His hockey IQ is going to limit how good he can be though.

Evgeny Oliker

Mar 12, 2003
Visit site
Swedish Jack Johnson.

He makes some troublesome decisions with the puck and loses his man in the zone a lot to indecision. Great athletic abilities, and can be a horse when he wants to be. His hockey IQ is going to limit how good he can be though.

I disagree. In his first few games at this WJC he looked very good at both ends. Then he ended up playing through an injury and wasn’t same.

I feel sure in saying he will be much better defensively than Jack Johnson

Reactions: oilynutz

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
He has top pair upside. I think he could grow into being the same player that Nurse is today, but it will take some time for him to get there. He should be able to play big minutes and provide around 35-45 points a year.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
Swedish Jack Johnson.

That actually sounds like Nurse.

I wasn't a fan of JMFJ even back when he was a King but JJ wasn't the most athletically gifted. I guess I need to watch Broberg to form my own opinion.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
I disagree. In his first few games at this WJC he looked very good at both ends. Then he ended up playing through an injury and wasn’t same.

I feel sure in saying he will be much better defensively than Jack Johnson

His first few games at the WJC were good and I get the injury hampered him. I’m speaking more about his overall season with Skelleftea.

One game he’d play a couple of excellent shifts then disappear and you wonder why he can’t dominate like that more, then he’d play the next game and make mistakes in all three zones and then he’d disappear. His game is terribly inconsistent.

Broberg will be better than Seider when all is said and done.

Man, I can’t wait to come back to this thread and prove how incredibly wrong you are. There isn’t a single thing in Broberg’s game that is better than Seider.

Reactions: EXTRAS

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
His first few games at the WJC were good and I get the injury hampered him. I’m speaking more about his overall season with Skelleftea.

One game he’d play a couple of excellent shifts then disappear and you wonder why he can’t dominate like that more, then he’d play the next game and make mistakes in all three zones and then he’d disappear. His game is terribly inconsistent.

Man, I can’t wait to come back to this thread and prove how incredibly wrong you are. There isn’t a single thing in Broberg’s game that is better than Seider.

Elite skating, for one. Seider is a good skater.Broberg is an elite skater.
Broberg also has a better point shot and better tools to QB a powerplay.

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
Full disclosure — I never was on board the Broberg hype train and rated him below Bjornfot with the fullest of confidence.

Overall, he hasn’t played like a difference maker in the SHL. Very sloppy in several areas to include simple passes, wildly inaccurate shot, and overall defensive zone awareness. The good news is that McDavid and Draisaitl can help cover up his warts, and his size, skating, and physicality are NHL caliber.

Don’t think he’ll ever be a big name in the NHL but still too early to say he’ll never carve out a solid career.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
Full disclosure — I never was on board the Broberg hype train and rated him below Bjornfot with the fullest of confidence.

Overall, he hasn’t played like a difference maker in the SHL. Very sloppy in several areas to include simple passes, wildly inaccurate shot, and overall defensive zone awareness. The good news is that McDavid and Draisaitl can help cover up his warts, and his size, skating, and physicality are NHL caliber.

Don’t think he’ll ever be a big name in the NHL but still too early to say he’ll never carve out a solid career.

He needs a year or two on the Condors. Samorukov was completely lost defensively in the first 10+ AHL games but near the end of the season he was playing top pair occasionally (and apparently had a good/great KHL season).

Overall, I'm just not a fan of the 2109 first rounders... they all have serious warts. I feel Boldy might be the best player picked after Broberg (well Zegras if you want a pure offense player). Also pretty high on McMichael but he would have been a reach at that pick.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
He definitely kills power plays...

This pick will haunt Oilers fans for years
I dunno.
I thought the entire USHL team was total garbage, and there would be no way for all 8 of those first round picks to become impact NHLers. It's starting to look like none of them are on track to be that.

I'm ok with a gamble-pick like Broberg. He had a great year last year, but is having a bit of a down one. Development is never linear, ESPECIALLY Dmen.
Not to mention, PhilBro is still a teenager playing against men.

We should expect to know more about what he's going to become around 22-25.

flying v 604

Sep 4, 2014
He has top pair upside. I think he could grow into being the same player that Nurse is today, but it will take some time for him to get there. He should be able to play big minutes and provide around 35-45 points a year.
45 points puts him like what? Top10-15 in the league? Pretty lofty based on what he's shown so far.

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
45 points puts him like what? Top10-15 in the league? Pretty lofty based on what he's shown so far.
Keep in mind Nurse has averaged 43P/82GP the past 3 seasons and his comparison was that he could see Broberg turning out similar to Nurse. I wouldn't focus too much on the points given that D who can skate and who regularly play with McDavid or Draisaitl are going to see a bump in their point totals simply due to playing with 2 top 5 players in the league. I have a hard time quantifying Broberg's upside, but his game at that age looks eerily similar to Nurse, minus some of the physical play.

Reactions: Kaners PPGs

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
I think Broberg's top upside is a smoother skating Klefbom. Imo their play styles and approaches are very similar. Though there is a solid change he ends up closer to a Hanifin or Ryan Murray type.

Klefbom I wouldn't call elite at any one aspect: offensively/defensively/vision/skating/passing/shooting (though those last 3 are/were all well above average), but due his size, speed, talent, and generally safe style of play, he was someone you could toss on the ice and get 23+ quality minutes in any situation vs. any competition. He'd just never be one to take over a game. I see the same out of Broberg.

It'll be fun to watch him and Samorukov break into the league. Reminds me of the early/mid 20210s when the Oil had Klefbom and Marincin breaking into the league.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
Elite skating, for one. Seider is a good skater.Broberg is an elite skater.
Broberg also has a better point shot and better tools to QB a powerplay.

If you're going by 2019 scouting reports and only 2019 scouting reports, sure. Broberg is the better skater, better shooter, better passer, and even better prospect.

But it's not 2019 anymore.

Seider has gone from 'really good skater for a big guy' with Mannheim in 2019 to 'really good skater in general' in 2020 with Grand Rapids to 'exceptional skater' with Rogle in 2021.
Broberg has always had great skating but it hasn't improved leaps and bounds since being drafted. If you'd have watched the Rogle vs. Skelleftea games you would have seen that they're equals as skaters.
Edge: Seider because the guy is a lot stronger on his edges and has tremendous balance when taking a hit with or without the puck.

Seider's passing is almost laser precise and his hand-eye coordination is top notch. The guy knocks clearing attempts out of the air on the regular and keeps the play alive while running Rogle's powerplay.
Broberg hasn't displayed the kind of passing and hand-eye coordination that give me confidence that he could legitimately quarterback a powerplay and his decision making when pinching needs a lot of improvement. A lot of the time he chooses to rush when he should pass, and he chooses to pass when he should rush.
Edge: Seider, far and away. His passes almost always hit their mark, and he's able to hold the offensive blueline better than a lot of guys in the NHL.

Seider doesn't have much of a slapshot but he's got a pretty good snapper and he has a pretty good, low and accurate "seeing eye" wrister that is able to on net to create rebounds. That's what you want from defensemen like Seider. Doughty does this, Keith does this, Seth Jones does this. The booming slapper is becoming less necessary a weapon on the powerplay.
Broberg has a booming slapper but the guy sends it shoulder level and above. I worry that the guy is going to KO someone on the ice when I see him wind up. Broberg's wrist shot while skating in full stride is fun to watch and has a lot of power on it, but needs a lot more accuracy.
Edge: Seider, because his shot causes chaos instead of stopping the play.

Seriously, there are so many other defensemen in the 1st and 2nd round picked after him that are looking better than Broberg at #8 in 2019. Bjornfot, York, Heinola, LaCombe, Knyazev, Johansson. Arguably Soderstrom (although he's having a rough time in Tucson)

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
If you're going by 2019 scouting reports and only 2019 scouting reports, sure. Broberg is the better skater, better shooter, better passer, and even better prospect.

But it's not 2019 anymore.

Seider has gone from 'really good skater for a big guy' with Mannheim in 2019 to 'really good skater in general' in 2020 with Grand Rapids to 'exceptional skater' with Rogle in 2021.
Broberg has always had great skating but it hasn't improved leaps and bounds since being drafted. If you'd have watched the Rogle vs. Skelleftea games you would have seen that they're equals as skaters.
Edge: Seider because the guy is a lot stronger on his edges and has tremendous balance when taking a hit with or without the puck.

Seider's passing is almost laser precise and his hand-eye coordination is top notch. The guy knocks clearing attempts out of the air on the regular and keeps the play alive while running Rogle's powerplay.
Broberg hasn't displayed the kind of passing and hand-eye coordination that give me confidence that he could legitimately quarterback a powerplay and his decision making when pinching needs a lot of improvement. A lot of the time he chooses to rush when he should pass, and he chooses to pass when he should rush.
Edge: Seider, far and away. His passes almost always hit their mark, and he's able to hold the offensive blueline better than a lot of guys in the NHL.

Seider doesn't have much of a slapshot but he's got a pretty good snapper and he has a pretty good, low and accurate "seeing eye" wrister that is able to on net to create rebounds. That's what you want from defensemen like Seider. Doughty does this, Keith does this, Seth Jones does this. The booming slapper is becoming less necessary a weapon on the powerplay.
Broberg has a booming slapper but the guy sends it shoulder level and above. I worry that the guy is going to KO someone on the ice when I see him wind up. Broberg's wrist shot while skating in full stride is fun to watch and has a lot of power on it, but needs a lot more accuracy.
Edge: Seider, because his shot causes chaos instead of stopping the play.

Seriously, there are so many other defensemen in the 1st and 2nd round picked after him that are looking better than Broberg at #8 in 2019. Bjornfot, York, Heinola, LaCombe, Knyazev, Johansson. Arguably Soderstrom (although he's having a rough time in Tucson)
Broberg is a better skater than Seider.

Seider is better pretty much everywhere else though, what a stud he is.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
From an author who watched one game.

The author admitted to watching one game post WJC. They were discussing a report from someone who watched more than that.

David Staples wrote the article for the Edmonton Journal. Tomas Zahorak is the guy that wrote the report for Dobber Prospects.

Zahorak's report on Broberg is here.
SHL Update: March 2021

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad