LD Owen Power - Univ. of Michigan, NCAA (2021 Draft)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tetsuo

Boss of a Pile of Rubble
Apr 11, 2018
Michigan
Well, yeah. Not really a hot take at all. He’s emerged as the clear favourite at this point.

He’s ahead of Brandt Clarke and a couple other forwards, two of whom are his teammates as well.

Michigan likely has three top 10 picks, pretty damn impressive.
Don't forget Luke Hughes is also committed for next year too.

Reactions: snipes

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Don't forget Luke Hughes is also committed for next year too.

If Beecher, York and Power stay another year, they could ice this lineup.

Brisson-Johnson-Samoskevich
Bordeleau-Beecher-Duke
A. Fantili-Beniers-Ciccolini
Groll-Lambert-Williams

Power-York
Truscott-Hughes
Edwards-Blankenburg
L. Fantili

Portillo

Thats a ridiculous lineup. By my count, thats 15 definite picks, another two with a decent chance of being picks, six guys with top 10 potential, and potentially 10 first rounders. It's all hypothetical, but what a team that would be. You could argue that whole team consists of real NHL prospects or team captains.

Tetsuo

Boss of a Pile of Rubble
Apr 11, 2018
Michigan

Bordeleau-Beecher-Duke
Groll-Lambert-Williams

Power-York
Truscott-Hughes
Edwards-Blankenburg
L. Fantili

Portillo

Thats a ridiculous lineup. By my count, thats 15 definite picks, another two with a decent chance of being picks, six guys with top 10 potential, and potentially 10 first rounders. It's all hypothetical, but what a team that would be. You could argue that whole team consists of real NHL prospects or team captains.
As a Michigan alum I am pretty pleased with the state the hockey program is in. It sucks that I won't get to see one of the most, if not the most, talented groups of Wolverines in my lifetime play in person but I can't be too salty. They are going to be really fun to watch.

Edit: I should clarify that I am talking all Michigan sports, not just hockey. Like this team is already beyond the Fab Five in terms of raw talent and they could be even better if some of the big name players stay. It's ridiculous.

Gopher13

Apr 28, 2020

Bordeleau-Beecher-Duke
Groll-Lambert-Williams

Power-York
Truscott-Hughes
Edwards-Blankenburg
L. Fantili

Portillo

If they are that good they ain't staying.

FireBird71

Aug 6, 2015

Bordeleau-Beecher-Duke
Groll-Lambert-Williams

Power-York
Truscott-Hughes
Edwards-Blankenburg
L. Fantili

Portillo

Dylan Duke after that and Seamus Casey after that...plus they could flip some peeps like they did with Beniers

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
If they are that good they ain't staying.

They aren't that good, which is why I think they might stay. There are no Eichel's here.

There are a number of considerations that go into the decisions, so it might not be as simple as if they are NHL ready or not, but Beecher is more of a 3 year college player, in my opinion. He'd need a big improvement in his second year than most expect to be good enough to leave after 2. York, I think it's 50/50. I think he's closer to being able to leave than Beecher. The Flyers don't exactly need him on their blue line yet, so that might help the argument for him to stay. Power, he'll probably be a top 3 pick, but how often do defensemen go straight to the NHL after being drafted? It's not often. Most of the time, the first defensemen picked does not play in the NHL the next season. How much does he gain on the average first defensemen picked with his skillset and that he's one of the older first year draft-eligibles for 2021?

The rest, I don't see any of them being NHL players next year. I guess its possible for someone like Hughes, Beniers, Johnson, and Samoskevich, but I think the they'd need to hit a 95-100% outcome for their season and development this year for that to happen. It seems a little too unlikely to happen, in my opinion.

Reactions: wetcoast

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Dylan Duke after that and Seamus Casey after that...plus they could flip some peeps like they did with Beniers

I listed Duke. Second line RW. EP has him as attending in 22-23, but I think thats more than likely an error. He's not a late birthday. I don't see why he wouldn't be attending when most kids his age attend their first year of college. He probably doesn't have anywhere to play beyond this season, and he's certainly going to be ready to play next season.

I think overall 2021-22 will be their best chance at a super team. It's true that they will likely continue to bring in some good players, but thats a lot of high picks, and high picks often don't stay more than 2-3 years. Next season seems to me like these Michigan players might be just in that range where they are really good but not elite enough to be NHL'ers for 21-22. But I could also see a realistic chance that someone like Power or York leaves after this season. Thats the way college sports is in its current iteration. You have a better chance to keep your best players if there's some flaw in their game that hurts their pro potential or they are a little inconsistent during a season or they are very good but not yet elite.

goavsblue8

Aug 1, 2020
They aren't that good, which is why I think they might stay. There are no Eichel's here.

There are a number of considerations that go into the decisions, so it might not be as simple as if they are NHL ready or not, but Beecher is more of a 3 year college player, in my opinion. He'd need a big improvement in his second year than most expect to be good enough to leave after 2. York, I think it's 50/50. I think he's closer to being able to leave than Beecher. The Flyers don't exactly need him on their blue line yet, so that might help the argument for him to stay. Power, he'll probably be a top 3 pick, but how often do defensemen go straight to the NHL after being drafted? It's not often. Most of the time, the first defensemen picked does not play in the NHL the next season. How much does he gain on the average first defensemen picked with his skillset and that he's one of the older first year draft-eligibles for 2021?

The rest, I don't see any of them being NHL players next year. I guess its possible for someone like Hughes, Beniers, Johnson, and Samoskevich, but I think the they'd need to hit a 95-100% outcome for their season and development this year for that to happen. It seems a little too unlikely to happen, in my opinion.

Pretty much all of this, from what has been said by the UM coaches York is really the only one they expect to be done at um after this year. They expect to get two years out of powers(dude enrolled at 17 and as you said history says he'll do a second year), beniers, and johnson. Then they expect to get 2-3 years out of Bordeleau and Brisson and three out of Beecher. I really have no idea why Portillo is at um, because Mann is elite and has 3 years left with the ncaa granting an extra year for this year. This lineup card does not even include Jackson hallum(3rd pick) and Tyler Haskins(who has been injured but the um coaches are very high on as potential high round pick this year). Hell they recruited hallum with the idea he'd be a speedy depth 4 year player, and then bam hes a 3rd round pick that they may no longer be able to delay enrollment. The early evals and recruiting going on um is special right now.

FireBird71

Aug 6, 2015
Pretty much all of this, from what has been said by the UM coaches York is really the only one they expect to be done at um after this year. They expect to get two years out of powers(dude enrolled at 17 and as you said history says he'll do a second year), beniers, and johnson. Then they expect to get 2-3 years out of Bordeleau and Brisson and three out of Beecher. I really have no idea why Portillo is at um, because Mann is elite and has 3 years left with the ncaa granting an extra year for this year. This lineup card does not even include Jackson hallum(3rd pick) and Tyler Haskins(who has been injured but the um coaches are very high on as potential high round pick this year). Hell they recruited hallum with the idea he'd be a speedy depth 4 year player, and then bam hes a 3rd round pick that they may no longer be able to delay enrollment. The early evals and recruiting going on um is special right now.
Mann could get signed and leave

Shultzyfeelinirie25

Jun 29, 2018
Gonna be a great 2 game series for anyone wanting to see some hockey, this Thursday and Friday. it will have the likes of futures like Owen Powers, Kent Johnson, Matty Beniers, Cam York, to name a few go up against Cole Caufield, Dylan Holloway, and Sam Stange. It should be great to see some future 1st and 2nd rounders go up against already 1st and 2nd rounders

Reactions: Ginger Papa

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Gonna be a great 2 game series for anyone wanting to see some hockey, this Thursday and Friday. it will have the likes of futures like Owen Powers, Kent Johnson, Matty Beniers, Cam York, to name a few go up against Cole Caufield, Dylan Holloway, and Sam Stange. It should be great to see some future 1st and 2nd rounders go up against already 1st and 2nd rounders

Is Holloway leaving for the Team Canada camp before this series? I’d love to see that series. I’ll be 100 percent tuning in if he’s there. Holloway was fantastic the first two games at centre against Notre Dame.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
How stubborn of them. They wouldn't even leave it as an option. It's like they felt the need to make a stand for some reason.
He would be looking at a 2 week isolation away from the entire group if he was released on the 10th that puts him at being able to join the team by the 24th at the earliest. For a player that was never a lock to make the team at any point it just doesn't make any sense at all.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
He would be looking at a 2 week isolation away from the entire group if he was released on the 10th that puts him at being able to join the team by the 24th at the earliest. For a player that was never a lock to make the team at any point it just doesn't make any sense at all.

It wasn’t two weeks for NHL teams, and I doubt it’ll be two weeks for teams coming to Canada for the WJC. Likely 2-3 days.

dmac7719

Apr 27, 2018
Ontario
It wasn’t two weeks for NHL teams, and I doubt it’ll be two weeks for teams coming to Canada for the WJC. Likely 2-3 days.
Other teams coming into Canada will probably be isolating themselves at their respective camps then moving into an isolation area when they reach Edmonton. Powers would need to enter Team Canada's isolated camp. He would almost certainly have to isolate for 2 weeks if he was to be invited to the team when released.

Leviathan899

Nov 17, 2014
Toronto, ON.
Holloway won’t be playing, he’s at WJC camp.

Reactions: ORRFForever

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Other teams coming into Canada will probably be isolating themselves at their respective camps then moving into an isolation area when they reach Edmonton. Powers would need to enter Team Canada's isolated camp. He would almost certainly have to isolate for 2 weeks if he was to be invited to the team when released.

Why didn’t NHL teams have to do that?

dmac7719

Apr 27, 2018
Ontario
Why didn’t NHL teams have to do that?
I would wager NHL players being tested daily at their training camp before leaving for the bubble had something to do with that. But would every team entering the WJC have the funds to test their players daily to emulate what the NHL did? Maybe, but I don't think it's out of the question that some of these teams may create a bubble for their camp before they leave for Edmonton if they are unable to do daily testing.

All of the other NCAA players are currently separate from the main camp as they are required to go through the 2 week quarantine. If Power had been invited to the camp when released Dec. 10 everything points to that he would also have to go through the same 2 week quarantine.

DInTheB

Jul 27, 2006
Who knows if Michigan will get through the next few weeks unscathed, but the current issues with the Canadian team is exactly why this was not a cut and dry decision.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
NCAA teams are in not in a strict bubble, and all of the States where B10 schools are located have FAR worse Covid rates of infection that ALTA. It was just happenstance that the Canadian camp was infected, and not Michigan.

I was watching some glowing report about the Gophers goaltender on TV talking about what a vocal leader he is. They showed him surrounded by his entire team in his crease during pregame. They literally couldn't have been jammed in any closer. Their coach is just recovering from Covid. At what time does the light bulb go off?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->