LD Owen Power - Univ. of Michigan, NCAA (2021 Draft)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daneurism

Nov 13, 2010
Saw him quite a bit between bantam and minor midget. Skating/puck handling very advanced for a huge Dman. Prone to some coordination issues, and wasn't always consistent-Though, he was often the best player on the Reps against elite opponents-He can really step his game up.

Him and Roman Schmidt-Another towering 2021 eligible-have some similarities. Schmidt has better hands/a little more coordinated, Power has better offensive instincts(IMO).

Reactions: GrittyHawkDown

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Weird that this thread didn't catch on. He is a top prospect in the 2021 Draft after all.
-listed today as 6 foot 5 / 212 pounds

So, in his rookie season in the USHL,... last season, he scored 11 goals and 25 points +5 and 10 penalty minutes in 58 games
+ another 4 points in 11 play-off games

This season so far: 5 goals, 10 assists, 15 points, 26 shots on goal -1 with 6 penalty minutes in 14 games
- has scored at least a point in 11 of his 14 games this season

8012.jpg

Fonzieleaf

Jul 8, 2013
Collingwood, Ontario
Weird that this thread didn't catch on. He is a top prospect in the 2021 Draft after all.
-listed today as 6 foot 5 / 212 pounds

So, in his rookie season in the USHL,... last season, he scored 11 goals and 25 points +5 and 10 penalty minutes in 58 games
+ another 4 points in 11 play-off games

This season so far: 5 goals, 10 assists, 15 points, 26 shots on goal -1 with 6 penalty minutes in 14 games
- has scored at least a point in 11 of his 14 games this season

8012.jpg
Looks like Kyle Dubas' son

Last edited:

tealhockey

@overtheboards
Jun 2, 2012
www.tealhockey.net
If you go to like 4 minutes in to this video there are some clips of him. I have a couple more but I have been too busy to do more videos like this, probably get some done in a few weeks

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
A bump.

9 goals, 24 assists (0.97 ppg)
+6 with 12 penalty minutes

1st in d-men assists, points, 2nd in d-men goals
6th in Steel points. leads all d-men in points in the USHL (and in ppg)

Last edited:
Reactions: Dominance

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
It sounds like Power will be playing at Michigan next year. There was some question as to whether he would arrive next year or in 2021.
Interesting. I’m not sure if that decision will end up having a good effect on his eventual draft position, but given he’s already a powerful defender and skater, it might be the best decision for long term development.

Reactions: CupInSIX

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018
Can't recall if he got a Hlinka camp invite or not...but wondering if Hockey Canada gives him a shot with the upcoming U18 tournament...

haven't checked on the current playoff race in the CHL in the last 2 weeks to see who will/will not be available...

something I'll do tomorrow morning with my coffee at sunrise.

Mickey the mouse

Jun 30, 2013
Can't recall if he got a Hlinka camp invite or not...but wondering if Hockey Canada gives him a shot with the upcoming U18 tournament...

haven't checked on the current playoff race in the CHL in the last 2 weeks to see who will/will not be available...

something I'll do tomorrow morning with my coffee at sunrise.
He will be playing with Chicago Steel in USHL playoffs.

If Steel out of playoffs he will be in Canada top 4. I'd say #1 D overall but I haven't seen all of Canada D play enough to make that statement

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018
He will be playing with Chicago Steel in USHL playoffs.

If Steel out of playoffs he will be in Canada top 4. I'd say #1 D overall but I haven't seen all of Canada D play enough to make that statement

Jamie Drysdale will most likely be available. I'll rate him #1 D over Power. but who knows if Hockey Canada will bring Drysdale to the U18 tournament after playing the U20 tournament. Hockey Canada sometimes digs out idiotic roster rules. The graduation rule.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
A bump.

9 goals, 24 assists (0.97 ppg)
+6 with 12 penalty minutes

1st in d-men assists, points, 2nd in d-men goals
6th in Steel points. leads all d-men in points in the USHL (and in ppg)

Impressive considering how hard it is to put up points in the USHL, sounds like a player to watch for sure.

Reactions: Artorius Horus T

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I completely whiffed on what I saw of this guy the first few games I saw. I’ve changed my mind. He’s one of the best prospects I’ve seen in the 2021 draft.

Power looks like an absolute beast. I don’t think comparisons to Hedman are that far off, based on how he plays. He has really good hands for a player his size, and while he probably doesn’t skate as well as Hedman, he’s an above average skater for a player of any size. He can defend, as well. I wouldn’t rule out that he could go 1st next year. The two biggest dark horse candidates to go 1OA might be the two late ‘02 born Canadian kids that skipped out on major junior to play at Michigan next year.

His GM also called him by far the best player on the Chicago Steel roster this season, and that’s saying something, considering the team likely has a few eventual first round picks on it and maybe as many as 10 guys with a real chance to reach the NHL. It’s by far the most talented roster in recent USHL history of the non-NTDP teams, and his GM was willing to go out on a limb to make a statement like that. I think that says something. GM’s usually don’t want to praise one of their players much more than the others, but the Chicago GM did.

Last edited:

grentthealien

Oct 2, 2016
Newfoundland
If we ever get to see best on best international hockey again I’m interested how Canada’s D is going to look in the coming years. A few years ago I felt like we weren’t developing enough new high end talent while our top guys were getting older and teams like USA and Sweden were just getting better.

Guys like Makar, Chabot, Ekblad, Power, Brandt Clarke, Byram, Drysdale etc etc just to name a few are either already in the NHL or in the pipeline. Now quite a few players there we still need to wait to see how they develop and perform in the NHL, but at least for right now it looks like Canada is restocking.

Reactions: Kipper933

scallionjj11

FOREVERALFIE
Jun 10, 2009
East Coast
Does it not feel like this kid came from now where though? I know its kinda a crap shoot at the top of the 21 draft though. It'll be very interesting to see how deep that 21 draft will be.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Does it not feel like this kid came from now where though? I know its kinda a crap shoot at the top of the 21 draft though. It'll be very interesting to see how deep that 21 draft will be.
He doesn't play in Canada so he's likely to go unnoticed by Canadians and the Canadian media. As a Canadian kid playing on a U.S. team, he's not going to hyped by the Americans.

So, while he hasn't come out of no where, he has gone unnoticed.

Last edited:
Reactions: MasterMatt25
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad