LD Olli Juolevi - TPS, Liiga (2016, 5th, VAN)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Magua

Doer of Hoffific Things
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
if this kid is the best or even among the best D's in a draft then my gawd what a weak draft for defenesemen

It's a weird draft. There's not really any true top d men imo. Any of the 3 top guys from last year would be a lock in my mind to go first in this draft, or they should anyways. But the depth of d men into the 2nd is pretty good. There's a lot of "good" d men early. Wouldn't surprise me one bit for this draft to be one of those where the stars are not the top drafted ones.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
He doesn't need to dominate or lead the offense. That London team is so top line centric, pretty much everyone just needs to follow their lead and support them. He does show flashes though, and I do wonder what his game would look like if the Knights were more dependent on everyone to create.

That said, I thought his entire Memorial Cup was the usual stuff from Juolevi. Solid, highly intelligent, excellent gap control and stick work, poise with and without the puck, great transitions. He's just a player that if you isolate on him impresses you with all the smart plays all over. I don't think he's a franchise #1, but a ceiling of a Stralman-like player doesn't seem unreasonable. That's a hell of a player, and he really fits the mold of what a good modern NHL d man is supposed to be. And I'm not sure I see a future #1 out of the other top d men either. Sergachyev is the only one for me who is dead even, but he has more risk.

Great post, echoing my thoughts. I really do wonder what Juolevi would look like if he played on another team than the Knights. Their whole offense runs through Dvorak-Marner-Tkachuk. What would Juolevi look like if he played on a team where he was more relied on to provide offense? He looked way better offensively playing for Team Finland but I'm not sure if that was due to the bigger ice surface or the team he was playing on.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Great post, echoing my thoughts. I really do wonder what Juolevi would look like if he played on another team than the Knights. Their whole offense runs through Dvorak-Marner-Tkachuk. What would Juolevi look like if he played on a team where he was more relied on to provide offense? He looked way better offensively playing for Team Finland but I'm not sure if that was due to the bigger ice surface or the team he was playing on.

Im not an expert on him but what i gathered from the WJC's and what people with better OHL knowledge have said about him, it does feel like he's kind of like a complimentary player offensively. He can support your skilled forwards well, makes the pass and generally just helps them to do their thing. But he doesn't generate stuff by himself like, let's say, Letang or Burns does for example.

He feels more like a quietly good 2nd pairing guy with a decent defensive game than a future #1 offensive defenseman. Stats along the lines of 5+35 seem like would fit him.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Im not an expert on him but what i gathered from the WJC's and what people with better OHL knowledge have said about him, it does feel like he's kind of like a complimentary player offensively. He can support your skilled forwards well, makes the pass and generally just helps them to do their thing. But he doesn't generate stuff by himself like, let's say, Letang or Burns does for example.

He feels more like a quietly good 2nd pairing guy with a decent defensive game than a future #1 offensive defenseman. Stats along the lines of 5+35 seem like would fit him.
He's clever and flashes high-end PP ability at times, its just the PP is QB'd by Marner and at times they want a better shot or Mete's speed out there. It will be interesting to see how he does next year, and he should run the PP. I still think Chychrun has the higher ceiling, but Juolevi's grown on me. He needs to get stronger (which will also help his shot). I fully expect him to break through offensively next year if Marner is on the leafs. He also needs some help adapting to the heavy forecheck on small ice, but I think that was more a problem with adjusting to the speed of the game and smaller surface than a long-term flaw.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
He's clever and flashes high-end PP ability at times, its just the PP is QB'd by Marner and at times they want a better shot or Mete's speed out there. It will be interesting to see how he does next year, and he should run the PP. I still think Chychrun has the higher ceiling, but Juolevi's grown on me. He needs to get stronger (which will also help his shot). I fully expect him to break through offensively next year if Marner is on the leafs. He also needs some help adapting to the heavy forecheck on small ice, but I think that was more a problem with adjusting to the speed of the game and smaller surface than a long-term flaw.

The great thing is that he should be healthy now?
and will have a offseason to improve his skating and add strenght.
As he missed the last offseason with knee injury.

I liked last night how he was leading the play, he was constantly showing where to go or where to pass, is that normal for him in London?
The 1st 40mins he played a safe game but after that he started to push for offense more.

I like that (in way like Laine) he has done what he has done because of the skill/IQ he has, and not because of his physical tools, lot of potential to improve.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
if this kid is the best or even among the best D's in a draft then my gawd what a weak draft for defenesemen

It is.

Unless you are one of the people who thinks Chychrun is going to magically put it together when he couldn't do so while being physically superior to his league. Spoiler alert...he won't.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
You're not the only one who thought this.

This draft is the weakest draft for Dmen in a long time. It's ugly
Outside of Ekblad, 2014 was ugly. I'd say this draft actually has better depth in regards to D. 2012, 2013 and 2015 had great talent at the top of the draft.

stewpac

Nov 30, 2015

I had high hopes going into the season with him but about the half way point I realized that he isn't the player I was expecting. He is ok at everything but not great. People like to point out his intelligence or hockey iq but he makes just as many bone head plays as the rest of the knights defense. I think he'll be a NHL player just not a top 4 defensman.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
It is.

Unless you are one of the people who thinks Chychrun is going to magically put it together when he couldn't do so while being physically superior to his league. Spoiler alert...he won't.

Agreed. I have the following ahead of Chych

Juol
Serg
Bean
Mcavoy

Im sure im missing a few too

Bernier the Boats

Formerly BBurke
Aug 31, 2011

That would easily make him a number 1 dman. He's a guy who will play 25+ quality minutes a night, where his best attributes are being great at shot suppression while providing complementary offensive production. I think someone like John Carlson would be a good comparable. Good for about 35-40 points most years playing with skilled players. Doubt Juolevi will hit 55 points like Carlson has, but then again he plays on the best offensive team in the NHL, including the best power play.

docbenton

Dec 6, 2014

I think he's easily better than Provorov who's a similar type of player. But I've never been a fan of Provorov, had him 17th in 2015.

stewpac

Nov 30, 2015
That would easily make him a number 1 dman. He's a guy who will play 25+ quality minutes a night, where his best attributes are being great at shot suppression while providing complementary offensive production. I think someone like John Carlson would be a good comparable. Good for about 35-40 points most years playing with skilled players. Doubt Juolevi will hit 55 points like Carlson has, but then again he plays on the best offensive team in the NHL, including the best power play.

The knights never relied on him for 25 minutes a night, what makes you think that he is that type of player?

Vide

Mar 2, 2015

I don't agree with this at all. This is actually a strong draft for d-men. There isn't an Ekblad or Doughty in this draft no but there's lots and lots of guys who could be impact defensemen in this draft. Fact of the matter is that a lot of the top defensemen in the NHL today are guys who were drafted outside the top10.

Karlsson, Weber, Subban, Josi, Vlasic, Burns, Giordano, Brodie, Letang, Klingberg, Carlson, Chara, McDonagh are examples of this. Basically most top defensemen aren't high picks.

I think this draft could produce a lot of top4 d-men, probably more than most drafts even. Chychrun, Sergachev, Juolevi, Bean, Fabbro, McAvoy and Dineen are all great prospects that I expect will be solid NHLers for many years. One (or more) of them might even turn into a stud #1D.

Beyond them you have good depth in Hajek, Clague, Girard, Green, Fox, Carlsson and Johansen who I think have a good chance of being bottom4 defensemen in the NHL. I could go on with Stanley, Niemelainen, Lindgren, Krys, Lajoie, Mete, Moverare, Cederholm, Peeke, Day but these guys have a fairly long road to the NHL. Still solid prospects though.

Really, this is a good draft for defensemen. If anything the forward depth is severely lacking. Beyond the top15 or top18 there isn't much. I don't think you'll see many good forwards emerge from the latter part of the 1st round and beyond.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
Came in this thread to check on Joulevi cause it looks like Flames might grab him.

All I see is people saying he isn't that great. Awesome

bigbuff33

Jun 13, 2014
I don't agree with this at all. This is actually a strong draft for d-men. There isn't an Ekblad or Doughty in this draft no but there's lots and lots of guys who could be impact defensemen in this draft. Fact of the matter is that a lot of the top defensemen in the NHL today are guys who were drafted outside the top10.

Karlsson, Weber, Subban, Josi, Vlasic, Burns, Giordano, Brodie, Letang, Klingberg, Carlson, Chara, McDonagh are examples of this. Basically most top defensemen aren't high picks.

I think this draft could produce a lot of top4 d-men, probably more than most drafts even. Chychrun, Sergachev, Juolevi, Bean, Fabbro, McAvoy and Dineen are all great prospects that I expect will be solid NHLers for many years. One (or more) of them might even turn into a stud #1D.

Beyond them you have good depth in Hajek, Clague, Girard, Green, Fox, Carlsson and Johansen who I think have a good chance of being bottom4 defensemen in the NHL. I could go on with Stanley, Niemelainen, Lindgren, Krys, Lajoie, Mete, Moverare, Cederholm, Peeke, Day but these guys have a fairly long road to the NHL. Still solid prospects though.

Really, this is a good draft for defensemen. If anything the forward depth is severely lacking. Beyond the top15 or top18 there isn't much. I don't think you'll see many good forwards emerge from the latter part of the 1st round and beyond.
I don't think any draft has more top 4 defenseman than 2012

Magua

Doer of Hoffific Things
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
^

Agreed. If I'm a team outside the top 5-10 picks looking to hit on a solid d man in the first few rounds, this is a good draft to do so. There's just no truly elite d prospect or two, and the top ones don't have much separation and all have a few question marks. Frankly, outside the top 3 last year this draft is probably better for d men. Just stinks to be a team at the top of the draft desperately wanting a top guy.

Magua

Doer of Hoffific Things
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
I would argue that I'd rather have Chabot than any defenceman available this year.

Haha I swear I actually wrote "or Chabot who I really liked last year." But I deleted it because Zboril did go before him and it was easier to just mention the big 3 from last year, who were pretty much their own tier at the time. But yeah, he'd be in the running for first d man this year with his season last year imo. I'm a big fan.

FinPanda

Team Finland 2022 WHC champions
Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
He was the 1st Finnish D at the WJC so he has been put into situation where he had to be the 1st guy. He didn't have to be in London. Interesting to see how good he can be when he has to be the guy on the small ice though.

Sad to hear he sucks. Though he was a good D, probably not a 1st D, but solid 2nd or 3rd.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Tkachuk put up eye popping numbers for a top 5 pick (like top 6-7 for last 10 years) and justifiably gets questioned for being on a top junior line and top OHL team

Juolevi couldnt even muster that good of points on the same stacked line. Seriously this guy should be up around ppg with the team he has. The fact he has some prettty meh stats is extremely concerning. He should have atleast grabbed a generous amounts of secondary assists.

For recent top drafted D his numbers look amongst the worst when you factor in strength of team.

Id have Fabbro and McDavoy over him to be honest. I could see him slip to 13-16 ala Zadorov

Namikaze Minato

Apr 30, 2009
Beautiful B.C.
He was the 1st Finnish D at the WJC so he has been put into situation where he had to be the 1st guy. He didn't have to be in London. Interesting to see how good he can be when he has to be the guy on the small ice though.

Sad to hear he sucks. Though he was a good D, probably not a 1st D, but solid 2nd or 3rd.

maybe the leafs can grab him at 30 or 31 and hunter can work his magic :laugh:

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu

Sucks? Playing smart defense instead of trying to do something fancy is not sucking.

From couple of Memorial Cup games i saw it seemed he wasn't really given an opportunity to put up big numbers. His only job on the PP was to keep the puck in the zone without any real opportunity to shoot, since Knights mostly setup playing the puck from behind the net. On 5vs5 he was always the first guy back defending, instead joining the rush.

His strenght should improve a ton since he missed last summer with surgery. People seem a bit too harsh on his defensive game, which will improve for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->