LD Olli Juolevi (2016, 5th, VAN, traded to FLA, claimed by DET) Part II

settinguptheplay

Classless Canuck Fan
Apr 3, 2008
He will almost certainly start in the AHL after off season back surgery. The Canucks would have to trade a D or 2 before he got a sniff of the opening lineup. Even then he would need an impressive camp. Which is unlikely due to spending the summer recovering.

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
Herniated disk in his back could really set him back.

Best case, misses out on almost the whole summer training period, but recovers well from surgery. Worst case, chronic back problems for his entire career, career derailed.

The back is typically not something that ever regenerates to being 100%.

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
One of the most underrated prospects tbh. Hes at least going to be Olli Maata level player in the NHL.

I do hate his lack of intensity though...

lawrence

May 19, 2012
its open season for Canucks right now anyone can make it out of camp. That said don't think he has what it takes to make opening night roster. Maybe called up action later on.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
No, Juolevi is not underrated, he is rated exactly where he needs to be, until he shows even something remotely to suggest he can stick to the NHL.

He has a bad attitude, had constantly development delays, and has honestly looked piss poor in most showings, except this last year in Europe.

Reactions: Grip it N RYP it

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
No, Juolevi is not underrated, he is rated exactly where he needs to be, until he shows even something remotely to suggest he can stick to the NHL.

He has a bad attitude, had constantly development delays, and has honestly looked piss poor in most showings, except this last year in Europe.
Excellent draft year season, mediocre draft+1 season, good first season as a pro playing against men. Two good U20's & one mediocre.

Piss poor in most showings my ass. And what the f*** would you know about his attitude? How many games have you even seen from him? What a sad comment to make about a prospect who turned 20 two months ago.

Canucks LB

Oct 12, 2008
Excellent draft year season, mediocre draft+1 season, good first season as a pro playing against men. Two good U20's & one mediocre.

Piss poor in most showings my ass. And what the **** would you know about his attitude? How many games have you even seen from him? What a sad comment to make about a prospect who turned 20 two months ago.
I have seen him play like 20+ games in the last year fews, the guy has been nothing more than a giant disappointment.

Last year even the damn coach had to sit him aside and do a 1 on 1 meeting with him, giving him shit for his attitude problems.

Reactions: Grub

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
I have seen him play like 20+ games in the last year fews, the guy has been nothing more than a giant disappointment.

Last year even the damn coach had to sit him aside and do a 1 on 1 meeting with him, giving him **** for his attitude problems.
He did? Can you confirm that somehow?

Canucks LB

Oct 12, 2008
Ah, some very legitimate sources. I do know that he sat for a couple of games, but I've not heard anything about a 1 on 1 meeting and ****ty attitude.
holy shit man, it was reported by the media, including guys like botchford who overheard it, because they were screaming.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Well, he was benched for quite a while following some terrible, extremely lazy games so we don't really need to rely on hearsay in that case. Is it so important whether the coach did actually have to 1-on-1 him or whatnot? Benched he did get.

The Drop

Rain Drop, Drop Top
Jul 12, 2015
Vancouver

Not even a year ago you were defending this pick over the likes of Sergaechev. Do you ever stick to your word?

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland

Last year even the damn coach had to sit him aside and do a 1 on 1 meeting with him, giving him **** for his attitude problems.

Yes, he had a rough stretch after the WJC but outside of that he had a very solid year and was a guaranteed top 4 dman in the team. Inconsistency is not unheard of with young dmen playing their first season in a pro league. The back surgery at this stage of his development is a bit worrisome, though.

Hockeyisl1fe

Dec 8, 2016
holy **** man, it was reported by the media, including guys like botchford who overheard it, because they were screaming.
I don't recall anything like this happened. Are you talking about his time in London? His scratches with TPS had nothing to do with his attitude or how he played, that was confirmed by his coach Kaskinen.

stampedingviking

Jul 2, 2013
Basingstoke, England

What bad attitude? What constant development delays? When has he looked "piss poor" except at pre-season last year? You seem to have bought in to all the crap that's being spewed on the Canucks' board about Juolevi. :huh:

Reactions: Belisarius

Svencouver

Apr 8, 2015
Vancouver
I'm tepidly optimistic and excited for what he can offer. His high IQ and poise are what we drafted him for and are showing pretty well so far, and are a lot harder to teach than some extra accountability or physicality. We'll see how he looks when he comes up, which should be this year at some point depending on injuries. Really want to see how he plays at the NHL level.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad