LD Noah Hanifin - Boston College, NCAA (2015 Draft)

Status
Not open for further replies.

dballislife2

Jul 7, 2011
imo hanifins skating already puts him in the nhl next season, his skating is that elite...and hes already got nhl size

Mark Kandy

Habcoolic
Jul 22, 2014
Montreal
If TO is picking him, he could easily be on our blue line next year.

Yeah? I took in consideration that he would be pick #3, #4 or #5 and I thought that being drafted by Toronto woud be an obstacle to make the jump in the NHL right away.

Carolina and Arizona blue lines sucks compare to Toronto blue line I think, so he would have more chance to be in the league at 18 with one of the two others, no?

jmart21

MISC!!!
Nov 16, 2009
All Over The Place
Yeah? I took in consideration that he would be pick #3, #4 or #5 and I thought that being drafted by Toronto woud be an obstacle to make the jump in the NHL right away.

Carolina and Arizona blue lines sucks compare to Toronto blue line I think, so he would have more chance to be in the league at 18 with one of the two others, no?

Phaneuf
Robidas
Rielly
Gardiner
Polak
Brewer
Erixon

He's likely already just as, if not more, suitable to be on the Leafs blue line than any of the guys in bold.

FWIW, most leaf fans had basically expected at least one or two rookies would be on the blueline this year. Granberg, MacWilliam, and Percy were the likely front runners. Granberg just tore his achilles so he is off the list and I don't think it's a stretch to think Hanifin can be more impressive in camp than MacWilliam or Percy.

If the Leafs pick him I think he's in the NHL on opening night.

Mark Kandy

Habcoolic
Jul 22, 2014
Montreal
Phaneuf
Robidas
Rielly
Gardiner
Polak
Brewer
Erixon

He's likely already just as, if not more, suitable to be on the Leafs blue line than any of the guys in bold.

FWIW, most leaf fans had basically expected at least one or two rookies would be on the blueline this year. Granberg, MacWilliam, and Percy were the likely front runners. Granberg just tore his achilles so he is off the list and I don't think it's a stretch to think Hanifin can be more impressive in camp than MacWilliam or Percy.

And on the second pair? :amazed: that would be nice!!

jmart21

MISC!!!
Nov 16, 2009
All Over The Place
And on the second pair? :amazed: that would be nice!!

Could be in the pressbox as vet guys like Brewer, and Robidas would likely be given the benefit of the doubt for the first few games/weeks.

But even if that was the case I think he'd be pretty quickly in the lineup.

I look at a guy like Gardiner....Hanifin is likely already at his skating level (or higher), more physical, and a shockingly higher hockey IQ. He's literally got every one of JG's strong points covered, and also has JGs weak points covered as well.

I don't see how he isn't on the team if they do indeed draft him.

Semantics

PUBLIC ENEMY #1
Jan 3, 2007
San Francisco
Phaneuf
Robidas
Rielly
Gardiner
Polak
Brewer
Erixon

Polak should be in bold too, runs around in his own end blocking shots and hitting guys all day because he has zero puck moving ability.

Einzakin

Jan 20, 2011
Polak should be in bold too, runs around in his own end blocking shots and hitting guys all day because he has zero puck moving ability.

That isn't true. Polak is an excellent 4-5-6 defenceman and St. Louis misses him.

91Kadri91*

Phaneuf
Robidas
Rielly
Gardiner
Polak
Brewer
Erixon

I love how you bolded the Leafs most effective defenseman.

91Kadri91*

Could be in the pressbox as vet guys like Brewer, and Robidas would likely be given the benefit of the doubt for the first few games/weeks.

But even if that was the case I think he'd be pretty quickly in the lineup.

I look at a guy like Gardiner....Hanifin is likely already at his skating level (or higher), more physical, and a shockingly higher hockey IQ. He's literally got every one of JG's strong points covered, and also has JGs weak points covered as well.

I don't see how he isn't on the team if they do indeed draft him.

Brewer is a free-agent.

Mar 12, 2009
Jeff Marek on hockey central @noon keeps talking about him as a "6'5 Defenseman". Where is he getting that height from or is he exaggerating/projecting if he grows?

Mark Kandy

Habcoolic
Jul 22, 2014
Montreal
Is it me or if Arizona ends drafting him, Hanifin will be like already #2 in their depth chart behind OEL!? I know it seems like Arizona will draft Strome but it's an hypothetical question.

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Is it me or if Arizona ends drafting him, Hanifin will be like already #2 in their depth chart behind OEL!? I know it seems like Arizona will draft Strome but it's an hypothetical question.

Yes, and they're both lefties, so they'd be on different pairings. Like OEL and Yandle were. Though I agree with you that AZ takes Strome.

Mats13

Apr 22, 2015
Phaneuf
Robidas
Rielly
Gardiner
Polak
Brewer
Erixon

You didn't seriously bold Gardiner :shakehead

Obviously, Hanifin will immediately be better than our best defencemen, but he won't be better than the gritty, #5 defenceman, Polak :biglaugh:

one77

Dec 22, 2013
I love Marner but if Arizona takes Strome, Leafs should take Hanifin. He's as safe of a homerun pick as can get (not named McDavid/Eichel). He does it all extremely well. Elite in many aspects of the game.

Hanifin - Rielly
Gardiner - Gudbranson (through Kessel trade)
Percy - Polak
-Robidas/MacWiliam/Loov

NarcoPolo

Jul 16, 2012

Obviously, Hanifin will immediately be better than our best defencemen, but he won't be better than the gritty, #5 defenceman, Polak :biglaugh:

In what world is gardiner our best defensemen?..

The Magic Man

With God given hands
Sep 1, 2008
Hamilton, Ontario
I love how you bolded the Leafs most effective defenseman.

You might want to read that again.

He's likely already just as, if not more, suitable to be on the Leafs blue line than any of the guys in bold

Gardiner is our best skater, but I think he leaves a LOT to be desired in the IQ dept. Who knows what his limits are as a student of the game but he was riding the short bus most of the time, the way I saw it.

I'd be surprised if Hanifin is as good a skater as Gardiner considering Jake is one of the best skaters in the NHL, IMO. But the big difference is the most important part to being a true #1D and that's intelligence. I've never seen it in Gardiner, but it's considered the best attribute of Hanifin.

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2003
KW
I'd feel fine about it, especially since you guys already have Nylander as a somewhat similar kind of player to Marner. Rielly and Hanifin would give you two fantastic-skating building blocks back there. Assuming the Leafs get a high pick next year, there are several high-end forwards. Either way, I'd be pretty happy as a Leafs fan with my options should Arizona pick Strome.

We need Hanifin more than Marner.

Phaneuf I don't expect will be around much longer, that leaves Rielly as the only top pairing d in our organization, and Hanifin brings that elite defensive potential that we need.

Is he eligible to play in the AHL next season?

Jul 10, 2003
KW
You might want to read that again.

Gardiner is our best skater, but I think he leaves a LOT to be desired in the IQ dept. Who knows what his limits are as a student of the game but he was riding the short bus most of the time, the way I saw it.

I'd be surprised if Hanifin is as good a skater as Gardiner considering Jake is one of the best skaters in the NHL, IMO. But the big difference is the most important part to being a true #1D and that's intelligence. I've never seen it in Gardiner, but it's considered the best attribute of Hanifin.

I respectfully disagree, but hopefully we can see them playing on the same pairing and we'll see then :nod:

Mark Kandy

Habcoolic
Jul 22, 2014
Montreal
We need Hanifin more than Marner.

Phaneuf I don't expect will be around much longer, that leaves Rielly as the only top pairing d in our organization, and Hanifin brings that elite defensive potential that we need.

Is he eligible to play in the AHL next season?

I think he isn't, the rule is you have to get drafted from an European league to be AHL-eligible at 18. Pretty sure but not 100% sure.

Anyway I don't think he would leave university to play AHL...

The Magic Man

With God given hands
Sep 1, 2008
Hamilton, Ontario
I respectfully disagree, but hopefully we can see them playing on the same pairing and we'll see then :nod:

Fair enough. I'm always a little reluctant to buy all the hype of prospects when they haven't actually been on the ice. His skating is elite for a player outside of the NHL, but I see Gardiner as a top 15-20 skater in the world. That's a much tougher group to stand out in then the NCAA and WJC.

I think he isn't, the rule is you have to get drafted from an European league to be AHL-eligible at 18. Pretty sure but not 100% sure.

Eligibility for the AHL only matters to CHL players. If he attends rookie camp, his NCAA career is over and it's up to him and the NHL team where he goes from there. He could still report to the CHL.

McMatthews

Sep 12, 2007

He can leave NCAA to play in AHL at 18 years old.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad