LD Nathan Staios - Hamilton Bulldogs, OHL (2019 undrafted; signed by FLA)

Breakfast of Champs

Apr 15, 2007
Looked really good in the one red/white game I watched for the Hlinka camp, but he was cut from the roster so maybe his other showers weren't so strong.

Regardless a few plays he made caught my eye and I've been keeping track of him since.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
His production fell off pretty hard, but he scored this beauty last night...

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Leading scorer amongst defenseman for the Bulldogs after being acquired prior to the season.

At his size I'm not sure if he gets drafted but is there any indication that he will get an invite to development camp - if they have them this year?

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
A quick bump on him, he has looked good in the limited viewing I have of him.
His skating has improved and defensively he is obviously really smart.

Anyone who watched his team more got any insights? I feel like a 5'11 OHL who is scoring near a PPG even at 20 is still work a team taking a flyer on.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I just said on the Habs board since we have 2 prospects with Hamilton that he impressed me and I would be interested in bringing him to our development camp. Some NHL team will 100% invite him to their development camp this summer.

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007
I saw that this kid won CHL defenseman of the year and appears to be a big cog of the dominant Hamilton Bulldogs squad. Also an undrafted free agent, is anyone here familiar with his game? I was wondering if the Oilers might be able to snag him (could have an inside track on him with the Steve Staios connection and all).

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
I saw that this kid won CHL defenseman of the year and appears to be a big cog of the dominant Hamilton Bulldogs squad. Also an undrafted free agent, is anyone here familiar with his game? I was wondering if the Oilers might be able to snag him (could have an inside track on him with the Steve Staios connection and all).
He is a pure offensive defender.

Think Tyson Barrie without the defence.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
He's talented and he can skate and he looks like a guy who will move the AHL and be able to compete well there next season.

Most guys with this skillset plateau as talented AHL PP QBs but every once in a while a Torey Krug pops up and it isn't impossible Staios could be that guy.

Ridiculous he won CHL defender of the year over Zellweger, though.

Reactions: GermanSpitfire

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Pretty cool he was able to work and get himself a contract.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Good for him. Was a hell of a player for Hamilton this season.
He really was. Even banged up badly he was still outstanding. And he was fighting like a warrior out there. Not the biggest guy but even when he was suffering and visibly hurt he was still throwing hits.

I know Mysak deflected it in the end but this goal was all Staios who, much like the rest of his team, seemed to have nothing left in OT. At some point, Staios went for a big hit along the boards and was bent over on the bench getting attention from the trainer. A few seconds later he goes out to do this. I also remember him defending a 1vs2 with an incredible slide. If the knock on him was that he's soft and poor defensively then he proved that it was just a myth last season. He might be small but he can play big. Wouldn't be surprised to see his game translate well to pro hockey and I'm happy he earned a contract with a very good NHL team. If it wasn't for his and the Kammerer injury I think Hamilton wins the memorial cup. If Staios doesn't come back in that Windsor series I think Hamilton doesn't even make it to the Memorial cup tournament. Even nowhere near 100% he was a difference maker.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad