LD Miro Heiskanen - IFK Helsinki, Liiga (2017, 3rd, DAL)

Status
Not open for further replies.

member 297479

It still amazes me how we have here posters who have no idea what a season he had.
People outside Finland probably don't watch him at all, excluding perhaps international competition where he didnt stand out at the WJC (had a mediocre tournament, was injured?). But he is a very special player on most nights. It's remarkable to watch him on the rush, give crisp passes and be poised under pressure with how many minutes per night he played. His skating is so elegant too. Also seems to have a good head on his shoulders. From interviews he came off as quiet, confident and smart, these traits reflect his play imo. I guess if you spend your D+1 in Finland and you're drafted by Dallas a lot of hype won't be coming his way, which is fine. I believe it was great for him to spend another year in Liiga.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Dunno what he has to do with Heiskanen but no, it's not as impressive...
I can't really agree. I consider it a more impressive season.
It still amazes me how we have here posters who have no idea what a season he had.
Yep. That's the only explanation I can think of. People just don't understand how good Heiskanen's season was. Which is rather odd, to be frank. It's right there.

I guess I'll try bringing these two points up(in vain):

1. Miro Heiskanen is over 8 months younger.
2. Miro Heiskanen is a defenseman. Defensemen in general take a significantly longer time to develop.
3. Miro Heiskanen is not an offensive defenseman. Offensive production was supposed to be a "weakness" of his. Perspective.

ImNeverWrong

THE HF ALPHA
Jan 18, 2018
Habs fan, no dog in this fight. Miro is the better prospect. Flourishing while playing the tougher position to dominate as a KID. And this is the Heiskanen thread, i don't want to hear about the Canucks prospect in this thread. I saw some activity here and was thinking to get some nice news/footage, and all i find is trolling. Go away!

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Youngest player to win the award. He still doesnt turn 19 for another 2.5 months... still not as impressive as Petersson tho /s

What the f*** does this have to do with Pettersson?

Habs fan, no dog in this fight. Miro is the better prospect. Flourishing while playing the tougher position to dominate as a KID. And this is the Heiskanen thread, i don't want to hear about the Canucks prospect in this thread. I saw some activity here and was thinking to get some nice news/footage, and all i find is trolling. Go away!

Nucks fan here, no dog fight at all. It was a Dallas fan who brought up Pettersson. Not us. so gtfo.

Last edited:

jballa95

Aug 18, 2013
I swear this thread has turned into a pre-school fight from both sides. Grow up and appreciate both players, who gives a f**k if one is slightly better than the other. This thread should be discussing Heiskanen's accomplishments, and not be a ridiculous unwinnable argument.

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
I swear this thread has turned into a pre-school fight from both sides. Grow up and appreciate both players, who gives a f**k if one is slightly better than the other. This thread should be discussing Heiskanen's accomplishments, and not be a ridiculous unwinnable argument.
It's like this in most prospect threads. Endless comparisons which don't even make sense.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I can't really agree. I consider it a more impressive season.

Yep. That's the only explanation I can think of. People just don't understand how good Heiskanen's season was. Which is rather odd, to be frank. It's right there.

I guess I'll try bringing these two points up(in vain):

1. Miro Heiskanen is over 8 months younger.
2. Miro Heiskanen is a defenseman. Defensemen in general take a significantly longer time to develop.
3. Miro Heiskanen is not an offensive defenseman. Offensive production was supposed to be a "weakness" of his. Perspective.

People outside Finland probably don't watch him at all, excluding perhaps international competition where he didnt stand out at the WJC (had a mediocre tournament, was injured?). But he is a very special player on most nights. It's remarkable to watch him on the rush, give crisp passes and be poised under pressure with how many minutes per night he played. His skating is so elegant too. Also seems to have a good head on his shoulders. From interviews he came off as quiet, confident and smart, these traits reflect his play imo. I guess if you spend your D+1 in Finland and you're drafted by Dallas a lot of hype won't be coming his way, which is fine. I believe it was great for him to spend another year in Liiga.

Couldn't believe my eyes when few days ago I had to read what a massive mistake Dallas did with drafting Heiskanen over Glass/Pettersson, when I'm betting Dallas is ....ng loving the pick.

He has the potential/talent to step right into Dallas top4 next season. He's shown potential for franchise D-man this season.

Cumina

Sep 26, 2016
Miro was the 10th fastest skater in the WHC, according to measurements by the IIHF.

1. Ronalds Kenins, Latvia: 41,32 km/h
2. Leon Draisaitl, Germany: 39,94 km/h
3. Frederik Tiffels, Germany: 39,61 km/h
4. Marek Hovorka, Slovakia: 39,58 km/h
5. Patrick Kane, USA: 39,26 km/h
6. Adrian Kempe, Sweden: 39,16 km/h
7. Tristan Scherwey, Switzerland: 38,99 km/h
8. Connor McDavid, Canada: 38,91 km/h
9. Kasperi Kapanen, Finland: 38,75 km/h
10. Miro Heiskanen, Finland: 38,63 km/h

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
Miro was the 10th fastest skater in the WHC, according to measurements by the IIHF.

1. Ronalds Kenins, Latvia: 41,32 km/h
2. Leon Draisaitl, Germany: 39,94 km/h
3. Frederik Tiffels, Germany: 39,61 km/h
4. Marek Hovorka, Slovakia: 39,58 km/h
5. Patrick Kane, USA: 39,26 km/h
6. Adrian Kempe, Sweden: 39,16 km/h
7. Tristan Scherwey, Switzerland: 38,99 km/h
8. Connor McDavid, Canada: 38,91 km/h
9. Kasperi Kapanen, Finland: 38,75 km/h
10. Miro Heiskanen, Finland: 38,63 km/h
Well, McDavid at 8. surely makes this list pointless.

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
There are no guarantees ever, but I do think that mirroring prospects seasons and accomplishments to other youngsters (or now professionals) gives a pretty good insight of how their careers might pan out.

Anyway, cannot wait to see Miro in the Stars jersey! So glad we have at least one top end defenceman ready to make an impact, no matter how small that may be during the first few year(s) in the toughest possible league.

Hockeyisl1fe

Dec 8, 2016
He was so utterly wrong utilised in the WHC, just gonna say that. Played the anchor role in his pairing and killed penalties instead of Qbacking the pp. He is very good defensively for his age, but imo the offense he can bring outshines that. Just couldn't get it really going at any point compared to what he showed in the FEL playoffs. At least Marjamäki won't coach him ever again.

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
He was so utterly wrong utilised in the WHC, just gonna say that. Played the anchor role in his pairing and killed penalties instead of Qbacking the pp. He is very good defensively for his age, but imo the offense he can bring outshines that. Just couldn't get it really going at any point compared to what he showed in the FEL playoffs. At least Marjamäki won't coach him ever again.

Yeah it was pretty puzzling. I think he played we’ll in both roles, but they really needed him on that top powerplay unit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad