LD Miro Heiskanen (2017, 3rd, DAL) Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
Then why wont the Dallas gm do it? if it is SO no brainer? But yeah only in hfboards, whatever your point is with that...

But yeah, let's put all of our money on one basket... Who says Dallas becomes instant cup threat? What if they dont? They still have a mediocre forward crop... and they cant improve that without money or assets.

You do realize Ottawa GM also has to accept the trade? It's bound to be a very complicated situation when a player of Karlsson's calibre is available. And like I said in my last post, if you're more worried about your team's bottom 9 forwards who are playing half the minutes Karlsson is, I'm not stopping you. If they still don't win the cup, then bummer, but at least you gave it a VERY good shot.

Hostile Offer

Jun 17, 2017
Finland
They have franchise F's and Kling on defense.

That's not stopping them from being a contender once more, it's the quality depth. Nashville/Jets would be too much to handle most likely with that depth.

Heiskanen has shown franchise D-man potential and by all accounts is NHL ready, should be top4 ready.

You don't want to be a 4 man team in cap hell.

Yeah... I would be scared too if I had to put Karlsson on ice against studs like Bonino and Lowry.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Yeah... I would be scared too if I had to put Karlsson on ice against studs like Bonino and Lowry.

Hmm, Jets 2nd line is Ehlers- Little/Roslovic- Laine, or you have him face Connor- Scheifele- Wheeler.

Dallas would have Seguin, Karlsson, Benn, Klingberg. Jets- Scheifele, Wheeler, Laine, Buff, Trouba with Ehlers, Connor, Little, Roslovic, Morrissey, Perreault, Myers, Vesalainen bringing the depth.
Dallas, Lindell, Niku.........?

Again, 4 men teams don't go far. Dallas has a better shot at getting to Cup level with keeping Heiskanen and building a 2nd scoring line. Defense didn't fail them, and it's only going to get better as they add Heiskanen& Lindell gains more experience.

Hostile Offer

Jun 17, 2017
Finland
Hmm, Jets 2nd line is Ehlers- Little/Roslovic- Laine, or you have him face Connor- Scheifele- Wheeler.

Dallas would have Seguin, Karlsson, Benn, Klingberg. Jets- Scheifele, Wheeler, Laine, Buff, Trouba with Ehlers, Connor, Little, Roslovic, Morrissey, Perreault, Myers, Vesalainen bringing the depth.
Dallas, Lindell, Niku.........?

Again, 4 men teams don't go far.

None of those players have the impact Karlsson has. Not even close.

Hockeyisl1fe

Dec 8, 2016

He is closer to Dahlin than people think. And his offensive skill set was supposed to be his weakness.

I think his only real weakness is his shooting. It's not bad and he actually has a pretty good wrister, but he isn't really that big of a threat from the blue line. I see no value in comparing him to possibly the best dman prospect in this century though, Heiskanen is fantastic in his own right.

MrHeiskanen

Nov 12, 2017
If you aren't giving up Heiskanen for an extended Karlsson then something is seriously wrong with the way your GM evaluates players. This kid is great but come on now.

Heiskanen plus what. Everyone is assuming it's a 1 for 1 and it's "STUPID" not to give him up.

What if it's Heiskanen ++++

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
None of those players have the impact Karlsson has. Not even close.

As a whole they have.

Laine is a potential Rocket winner on the 2nd line, Scheifele is a ppg C, Wheeler one of the best wingers in the game. Behind them 2 60+ wingers in Ehlers& Connor.
One of Trouba/Myers/Buff on the ice at every minute.

I'll say it again, a 4 man team does not win a Cup.

Last edited:

Hostile Offer

Jun 17, 2017
Finland
Heiskanen plus what. Everyone is assuming it's a 1 for 1 and it's "STUPID" not to give him up.

What if it's Heiskanen ++++

That was aimed for the people who see Heiskanen as an absolute non-starter in a Karlsson trade. Whatever pluses are added is another story.

Hokinaittii

Aug 15, 2015
I saw someone asking for a shift by shift videos in the last thread. I actually found some of my old clips I had on my youtube channel previously. Now these aren't excactly shift by shift videos but I think you can get a better grasp how he plays the game from these than just from watching his goals and assists.

Part 1:

Part 2:

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
He's a fantastic prospect. By no means should he be 'untouchable' in a deal for Karlsson. but still, fantastic prospect.

Not a prospect hugger but hte more I think about it the more it would be a dealbreaker for me if im dallas. On the flipside as Oottawa, i wouldn't trade EK to Dallas unless he was coming back.

WhatWhat

Aug 7, 2014
I mean, if you are more worried about your team's bottom 9 forward depth than your top end talent, good for you I guess.
We are more worried about the bottom 9 than the top end talent because we have top end talent and lack bottom 9 players... How hard is that to understand? You realize bottom 9 forwards play 66% of the game right. We currently have 2/3 of the game where we are straight up outmatched when comparing forwards with just about every team expected to make playoff

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
I saw someone asking for a shift by shift videos in the last thread. I actually found some of my old clips I had on my youtube channel previously. Now these aren't excactly shift by shift videos but I think you can get a better grasp how he plays the game from these than just from watching his goals and assists.

Part 1:

Part 2:

His skating alone deserves a highlight reel imo. Thanks for sharing these, I'm going to watch them on repeat until the season begins :)

Reactions: Ookhaab

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
But how do you make that team a contender in the West?

After Heiskanen there's no elite/high end prospects really, the depth in the bottom9 isn't something you contend with.
So you don't have the money or assets to turn it into a contender.

Heisk should walk into Dallas and be a top4 from game 1 and by the end of season as pointed in the article 2nd best D-man on the roster.
Kling at 4.25M, Lindell at something similar longterm and Heisk on ELC gives Dallas insane amount of money to put on the bottom9 if they want to.

West has 2 of the best teams in the league with one of the best depths in the league playing in the same division.
I gotta agree with you, I don't think I would acquire karlsson at the cost. I think they are better off doing what you say, hang onto Heiskanen and use the extra money to try to improve the other lines, that is indeed where their main weakness lies. We all know how great Karlsson is but acquiring him also kind of hancuffs them on improving those lower lines as you said.

cowgirlcath

Johnny Mony and Cathy
Jul 9, 2018
Calgary
His ability to take the puck in his own end and create chances is really amazing. Love the way he sees the ice and how hard he works to win most of his battles. Can't wait to see him in the NHL.

Reactions: Kcb12345

Dundalis

Dec 28, 2003
I think his only real weakness is his shooting. It's not bad and he actually has a pretty good wrister, but he isn't really that big of a threat from the blue line. I see no value in comparing him to possibly the best dman prospect in this century though, Heiskanen is fantastic in his own right.
Heiskanen's value, the reason he went number 3 was because he had unbelievable defensive instincts approaching someone like Lidstrom defensively (in terms of the prospect Lidstrom, not the finished article obviously). His gap control, defensive IQ, and ability to poke check are elite at his age, especially for someone who's not prototypical Dman size. His concerns leading into the draft which pushed him down to where he was drafted, were offensive concerns. Those concerns are gone. He racked up goals at an incredible rate for a defensemen, and should absolutely be able to hit double digit goals in the NHL in exactly the same way John Klingberg consistently does despite not having a canon from the blueline. He effortlessly gets into the heart of the defense to fire off those incredibly accurate wristers. Basically you are looking at a guy who can put up Klingberg like offensive numbers in his prime, while having the potential to be one of the best shut down defenders in the NHL where his outstanding skating and instincts allow him phenomenal gap control at still such a young age.

The above attributes also give him an incredibly high floor, so I would not trade him for Karlsson straight up.

Dundalis

Dec 28, 2003
If you aren't giving up Heiskanen for an extended Karlsson then something is seriously wrong with the way your GM evaluates players. This kid is great but come on now.
No, a bad GM is someone who evaluates trade targets in a vacuum. Ignoring things like need, salary cap management etc. Dallas doesn't NEED another high scoring Dman. It would be a luxury. And because of that fact and the significant weaknesses that exist which they would no longer be able to address, like lack of scoring on 3 lines, no way would I guarantee cup contention simply by adding Karlsson. They would like to work out a trade for Karlsson purely due to him being BPA and the excitement generated by his name, when someone like Panarin would likely help the team more despite not being as good a player.

So when your potential acquisition is purely a luxury, are you're a team that didn't even make the playoffs last season, giving up a generational 18 year old defensive prospect like Heiskanen makes no sense. If it were different and we didn't already have Klingberg, and were in desperate need of an elite PMD, while our forward scoring depth was more solid, then the trade would make a bit more sense. That's not the case though.

If we miss on Karlsson, it woudn't bother me because while it would be nice, it's not a need, especially if it allows us the mean to be able to acquire someone like Panarin,

Laineux

Aug 1, 2011
giving up a generational 18 year old defensive prospect like Heiskanen
Honest observation. The league seems to have at least twenty generational players and prospects the way that term is being used now. It has replaced the word "elite".

Reactions: Lowlife

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
a generational 18 year old defensive prospect like Heiskanen

I love Heiskanen, but he's not a generational prospect. Dahlin is.

Heiskanen is an elite prospect, yes, but not generational.

WhatWhat

Aug 7, 2014
Honest observation. The league seems to have at least twenty generational players and prospects the way that term is being used now. It has replaced the word "elite".
That term is tossed around way too frequently. In the past year we have seen a generational forward prospect in McDavid and the rumblings are that Dahlin is a generational prospect as a Dman.

Outside of those 2 names no one from any of the recent drafts should be tagged with the term generational

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad