LD Mike Koster - Univ. of Minnesota, NCAA (2019, 146th, TOR)

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Keep in mind that he doesn't play against the top teams in HS, so his stats are inflated.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Looks like he could be a good player. 2019 is a draft we haven't heard much about yet, I wonder where he would rank vs. other players available for 2019.

WesternCollegeHockey

Jul 13, 2006
He's in the upper echelon of '01 D in the US, and should get consideration from the NTDP. Talking about the NHL Draft at this point for kids that age is kind of silly.

UNITEDSTATESOFHOCKEY

Jan 5, 2018
I was just browsing eliteprospects when I came across Mike Koster. His stats are amazing for a defenseman his age. He is also committed to the university of Minnesota. Just wondering if anyone has any more info on him. Mike Koster at eliteprospects.com

Had a very good Hlinka Tournament, Excellent skater and passer... Interested to see where he ends up... was really good for Fargo this spring putting up 10 PTS in 21 Games... Not a lot of size but when you skate like he does, its less of an issue now days!

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Interesting enough Seattle Thunderbirds of WHL just hired a new GM this offseason and one of his first of a few moves was trading for Koster's rights and Tbirds are confident that they can potentially make him commit to the CHL

Last edited:

UNITEDSTATESOFHOCKEY

Jan 5, 2018
Interesting enough Seattle Thunderbirds of WHL just hired a new GM this offseason and one of his first of a few moves was trading for Koster's rights and Tbirds are confident that they can potentially make him commit to the CHL

We shall see but getting a Minnesota raised kid that's committed to the U. to go the WHL route isn't that easy! It's not like getting some Minnesota kid who's committed to Neb. Omaha to switch!

wasup

Mar 21, 2018
His head and offensive skills are his main attributes . Lack of size and skating stride are concerns . Player for Tri City USHL a fair bit last year i don't thinking he is going Dub

wasup

Mar 21, 2018
I don't see a single thing wrong with his skating or feet at this point!
Saw him play 5 ushl games last year live . Too much upper body movement and stride pattern are a bit of a concern for me . But brain wise and offensive creativity top notch .

UNITEDSTATESOFHOCKEY

Jan 5, 2018
Saw him play 5 ushl games last year live . Too much upper body movement and stride pattern are a bit of a concern for me . But brain wise and offensive creativity top notch .

I'd say his brain (decision making) is the one big red flag in his game, also doesnt have the best of shots! but to each their own!

UNITEDSTATESOFHOCKEY

Jan 5, 2018
One of the best game iq's of this class. Shot can be improved quickly.

By best you mean worst right? did you want him at the hlinka, I ran out of fingers and toes to count the number of high risk with low reward plays he made with the puck... He would be a ton more effective if he simplified his game!

North Country

Oct 24, 2012
By best you mean worst right? did you want him at the hlinka, I ran out of fingers and toes to count the number of high risk with low reward plays he made with the puck... He would be a ton more effective if he simplified his game!
A few posts up you said he had a very good Hlinka. Is this Jekyl or Hyde that is currently posting?

UNITEDSTATESOFHOCKEY

Jan 5, 2018
A few posts up you said he had a very good Hlinka. Is this Jekyl or Hyde that is currently posting?

Doesn't mean he wasn't good in other areas dude! USA didn't have a great defensive group and he was their best defenseman! he made plays with the puck that wouldn't work at the professional or even college levels but he got away with in the Hlinka. Guess I should have been more specific....

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
40 pts in 18 games... anyone have a scouting report on this kid???

UNITEDSTATESOFHOCKEY

Jan 5, 2018
40 pts in 18 games... anyone have a scouting report on this kid???

I've heard from people that he's leveled off this year and not projecting like the high end prospect many thought he would. I haven't seen much of him but I wouldn't pay too much attention of his points in HS, that school plays a lot of cupcakes, a lot of nights are "get your points night"! Having said that, Looking through his game log tho, it looks like he has performed well against some of the better programs in the State this year....

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I've heard from people that he's leveled off this year and not projecting like the high end prospect many thought he would. I haven't seen much of him but I wouldn't pay too much attention of his points in HS, that school plays a lot of cupcakes, a lot of nights are "get your points night"! Having said that, Looking through his game log tho, it looks like he has performed well against some of the better programs in the State this year....

I hear you. This draft lacks offensive defenseman, so I am just trying to see if there are some hidden gems out there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->