LD Markus Phillips (2017, 118th, LAK; traded to WPG)

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
Very smart defensively, uses his stick very well. Bit undersized but he's stocky and strong, good leadership qualities. His skating is good, especially his agility (balance/pivots etc.). Main question-mark for me is his offensive ceiling, that said i feel like he has some upside in that regard.

Right now i have him close with Hoefenmayer as the 3rd/4th dmen from the O this year, both are quality prospects in my eyes.

Last edited:

Tim Raines

Oct 26, 2015
I like him a lot. He's a classy, smart positional defender who has no glaring weaknesses and tons of leadership skill.

No one skill will wow you with him, but there is nothing that jumps out as a red flag either. He's a safe player who definitely has offensive limits, but he is far from inept at head-manning the puck and getting shots to the net.

I wouldn't hesitate to pick him at all beyond the 1st round.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
His scouting report sounds a lot like a better skating version of Xavier Ouellet. Which would be a pretty good player, IMO.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Canucks should take him at 64. We need d prospects BAD

PensFan101

Forever Champions.
Apr 23, 2007
Owen Sound
Phillips is one of the few short, stocky defenders with good enough skating (his is really, really good) and more than enough puck skill to compensate at the next level. Don't think he'd ever be more than a #4-6, but hey if a guy like Jake Dotchin can make it, Phillips definitely can too.

I think he's going to emerge as one of the OHL's best defenders next season. He showed glimpses of it being a part of the Attack's Big 4 D this past season, so we'll see if he can take that next step with Centorame and possibly Friend gone and Phillips having the keys to the defence.

Also need to highlight his character and leadership qualities. He's my pick to be Attack captain next season. A perfect guy to take in the late second, early third round.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
Really hope he's available at 69 for the Yotes. We don't really need LHD, but you never know how the blueline looks in 3-4 seasons. Phillips would be a great all-around add.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad