LD Luke Hughes (2021, 4th, NJD)

teravaineSAROS

Jul 29, 2015
Is Luke’s performance so far enough to make him an early contender for 1st overall in 2021?

Depends what you mean by contender. I'd say it's unlikely he goes 1st because he's going to be a skinny defenseman. I'm not fully sure how he compares to Quinn Hughes but Quinn, as entertaining as he is, wouldn't go ahead of players like Dahlin, Svechnikov and Tkachuk in a redraft as of today. Defensemen take longer to develop though so who knows in the future + the 2021 draft isn't as strong as the 2018 draft was.

If you draft a defenseman 1st overall you're assuming he has the tools to potentially become a #1 defenseman and it's extremely unlikely (but not impossible) for a defenseman who's below like 6 feet and atleast 190 pounds to become one.

HFBoards Top 31 NHL Defenders

^ Most defensemen listed here are comfortably bigger than that except for Spurgeon at #29 and Krug at #30 (Krug's fairly stocky for his height though) and they're not defensemen you would've picked 1st overall.

Not saying Luke can't become a #1 defenseman but I think whoever is drafting 1st overall would feel more comfortable getting a center over him.

tealhockey

@overtheboards
Jun 2, 2012
www.tealhockey.net
Depends what you mean by contender. I'd say it's unlikely he goes 1st because he's going to be a skinny defenseman. I'm not fully sure how he compares to Quinn Hughes but Quinn, as entertaining as he is, wouldn't go ahead of players like Dahlin, Svechnikov and Tkachuk in a redraft as of today. Defensemen take longer to develop though so who knows in the future + the 2021 draft isn't as strong as the 2018 draft was.

If you draft a defenseman 1st overall you're assuming he has the tools to potentially become a #1 defenseman and it's extremely unlikely (but not impossible) for a defenseman who's below like 6 feet and atleast 190 pounds to become one.

HFBoards Top 31 NHL Defenders

^ Most defensemen listed here are comfortably bigger than that except for Spurgeon at #29 and Krug at #30 (Krug's fairly stocky for his height though) and they're not defensemen you would've picked 1st overall.

Not saying Luke can't become a #1 defenseman but I think whoever is drafting 1st overall would feel more comfortable getting a center over him.
NTDP has him at above 6'0, just turned 16. He's going to be one of the youngest players eligible for 2021 -- a week from being a 2022 draft -- looking at vitals this early is a slippery slope.

Reactions: teravaineSAROS

teravaineSAROS

Jul 29, 2015
NTDP has him at above 6'0, just turned 16. He's going to be one of the youngest players eligible for 2021 -- a week from being a 2022 draft -- looking at vitals this early is a slippery slope.

Do you know how legit the measurement is? wasn't Jack listed as 5'11 when he was clearly 5'10 at best? I'm not saying he's not 6'0 I'm just curious.

IMO a lot will depend on what his frame looks like by the time he's drafted. If he's skinny but has a slightly wider frame (aka more room to build mass on) than the other brothers I could see him contend for #1.

tealhockey

@overtheboards
Jun 2, 2012
www.tealhockey.net
Do you know how legit the measurement is? wasn't Jack listed as 5'11 when he was clearly 5'10 at best? I'm not saying he's not 6'0 I'm just curious.

IMO a lot will depend on what his frame looks like by the time he's drafted. If he's skinny but has a slightly wider frame (aka more room to build mass on) than the other brothers I could see him contend for #1.
Yeah I think Jack is a bit smaller than what's been reported. Luke is definitely bigger. Every inch counts and he's got a frame that is a lot more appealing for my money

Reactions: teravaineSAROS

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado

The NTDP doesn't inflate measurements, but they do round up when converting their heights from centimeters to feet/inches because they only use whole numbers for the inches, i.e. 5'10.52 becomes 5'11. They also list the centimeters measurements if you want exact accuracy.

I don't understand the height concerns. Luke is noticeably taller than both his brothers.

Bologna 1

Aug 5, 2006
We don't really know Jack's weight because he didn't do the combine. He is slight for sure and I imagine Luke will fill out more. Yeah I know, but I guarantee that it is on their mind, even if it may get ruled out. Two kids taken in the top 8 already. Zach Werenski figured it out. As someone who watches a lot of Michigan games, I'm fine either way. Michigan blue line with L Hughes, Owen Power and Hunter Brzustewicz in 2022~23 ish would be straight fire

don't forget about Seamus Casey, who IMO is the best of all of them....

Reactions: Oneiro

AvsCOL

Jul 16, 2013

Pretty sure Jack and Quinn are both 5'9-5'10 at best. After the way those two look, I wouldn't be the least bit concerned if Luke is under 6'. Talent reigns supreme.

teravaineSAROS

Jul 29, 2015
Pretty sure Jack and Quinn are both 5'9-5'10 at best. After the way those two look, I wouldn't be the least bit concerned if Luke is under 6'. Talent reigns supreme.

Definitely not worried either. Just talking about being picked #1 overall as a defenseman

Reactions: ibengals

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I don't think he's anywhere near as electrifying as Jack or Quinn, based off watching one game. Good prospect though, in my opinion. He doesn't have the edges of Quinn or Jack, but is a very fast skater. I also absolutely do not agree with those that say he's the best skater of the three. I think he's the worst skater of the three, although he's still a very good skater. He will probably have the most well-rounded game of the three. Looked good in that area, and has enough skill. I wouldn't say his skill or playmaking looked anywhere near as good as either of his brothers.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
I think you're pretty significantly underrating his skill/playmaking.

All of the following is a comparison of them at the same U17 age. I wouldn't say he's less electrifying than Quinn, but that he plays a more mature / intentional game than either of his brothers did, a likely byproduct of having played with Quinn and Jack as his older brothers. He often looks just like Quinn, pirouetting around defenders with the puck, utilizing spin-o-ramas quite often, etc., he just relies on it a lot less than his brother did. He plays less like WJC Quinn and more like WHC/NHL Quinn. His shot is much better than Quinn's too.

They're obviously all different in their own ways, but he looks like a high-end NHL draft pick to me.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
I think you're pretty significantly underrating his skill/playmaking.

All of the following is a comparison of them at the same U17 age. I wouldn't say he's less electrifying than Quinn, but that he plays a more mature / intentional game than either of his brothers did, a likely byproduct of having played with Quinn and Jack as his older brothers. He often looks just like Quinn, pirouetting around defenders with the puck, utilizing spin-o-ramas quite often, etc., he just relies on it a lot less than his brother did. He plays less like WJC Quinn and more like WHC/NHL Quinn. His shot is much better than Quinn's too.

They're obviously all different in their own ways, but he looks like a high-end NHL draft pick to me.

Yeah, don't get me wrong, I think he looks like a high pick. I want to stress that I saw one game, and I could be wrong. But I'm commenting on what I saw. His brothers are two of the more skilled, better playmaking and better skating players in the sport. From my first viewing, he looked like a high-level prospect, somewhere in that same ball-park as the other two, but a different style of player from his brothers. Not as dynamic, but more well-rounded, not as frantic of a pace to his game.

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
I don't think he's anywhere near as electrifying as Jack or Quinn, based off watching one game. Good prospect though, in my opinion. He doesn't have the edges of Quinn or Jack, but is a very fast skater. I also absolutely do not agree with those that say he's the best skater of the three. I think he's the worst skater of the three, although he's still a very good skater. He will probably have the most well-rounded game of the three. Looked good in that area, and has enough skill. I wouldn't say his skill or playmaking looked anywhere near as good as either of his brothers.

I have attended a few of the U17 home games so far this year, and I would agree that he ranks lowest in skating ability of the three Hughes brothers. That's not to say he is not a good skater, but it's just that those two are tough to top. I still remember the first time I saw Quinn Hughes play for the program and saw him skate. I went to look for his measurables on the lineup sheet, and was confused when I couldn't find him. I was looking under the forwards section, because I just assumed someone who skated like that was a forward. :laugh:

So far, Luke has shown some offensive abilities, but he does need to work on the defensive part of his game (but what player this age doesn't?). He gets caught in bad positions on occasion. With John Wroblewski as his coach, though, he's in fine hands for improving this part of his game.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
I have attended a few of the U17 home games so far this year, and I would agree that he ranks lowest in skating ability of the three Hughes brothers. That's not to say he is not a good skater, but it's just that those two are tough to top. I still remember the first time I saw Quinn Hughes play for the program and saw him skate. I went to look for his measurables on the lineup sheet, and was confused when I couldn't find him. I was looking under the forwards section, because I just assumed someone who skated like that was a forward. :laugh:

So far, Luke has shown some offensive abilities, but he does need to work on the defensive part of his game (but what player this age doesn't?). He gets caught in bad positions on occasion. With John Wroblewski as his coach, though, he's in fine hands for improving this part of his game.

I've now watched him play more and I think I actually like Luke's game the most of the brothers, but it's not going to be as exciting as the other two. Quinn and Jack play two of the more unique styles of play you will see for players at their position in the sport of hockey. And with it comes some parts of the game they notably struggle with, in my opinion. Luke plays nothing like his two brothers. I think he has pretty good two way potential and projects as a two way defensemen who is very good in most areas, but not elite in any area.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad