LD Luca Cagnoni - Portland Winterhawks, WHL (2023, 123rd, SJS)

covfefe

Zoltan Poszar's Burner
Feb 5, 2014
Have been impressed by this kid every time I've watched Portland. Very shifty edge to edge, loves to get involved offensively, the prototypical modern D-man (he's even lined up at FW this year).

Of course, this all comes with a decent amount of work to be done in his own end.

Late '04 bday - definitely one to watch for next year.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
scored about 40 points (9 goals) last season
(added another goal and 3 assists in 11 playoff game)

- leads the WHL in preseason points; 2 goals, 4 assists in 3 games

1st round potential?

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Hopefully Portland can turn into a factory again.
As for this kid, he can play. Size will be an issue but he’s going to produce Aton of points this season.
Also becoming a big fan. I think his game looks pretty tailored to the modern NHL. Size may keep him from being a top, top pick in this loaded draft but he sure seems like he has second round type potential at least.

For a draft lacking big name defensemen (at least to start the season) - the WHL has got some guys in Dragicevic, Price and Cagnoni who sure seem to have upside.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Wonder what the league's appetite is for a player of his size. Late '04 with good, but not great production is usually not my type, but I really enjoyed watching him. Really agile, 4 way mobility that he uses to beat forecheckers as a puck carrier and mirror attackers as a rush defender. Excellent hands. Quick and soft. Always in control. Plus passing touch and lots of saucers as a post above hinted at. The question will be how a player like this will hold up during a heavy cycle, but I don't know many that do well there and he was rarely playing defense when I watched him because of all of the controlled plays he made for his team and all of the uncontrolled plays he forced the other team to make. Not sure there is a super high ceiling here, but looks like he could be a real efficient contributor at the next level.

MichaelFarrell

Aug 29, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
I really like Cagnoni’s game. I think I underrated him a bit in the beginning of the season but I think he’s a really good defenseman that has risen a lot in my rankings. He is one of the best puck-moving defensemen in the draft in my opinion if not the best.

His hockey IQ, his skating, and his skill make Cagnoni such a good puck mover. Cagnoni is a really smart hockey player. He knows when to pinch and he knows when to sit back a bit. There is a maturity in his game that I think is underrated. He makes some phenomenal passes when he’s on the ice and has great vision in the offensive zone. He is a great playmaker and is a serious threat whenever he pinches into the offensive zone. The most notable aspects of his game has to be his ability to go tape-to-tape and initiate zone-entries. He plays like a prototypical modern day defenseman. His skating is really smooth and he has nice lateral movement. He doesn’t have game-breaking speed but he’s solid in that area.

Cagnoni can get out of position at times which is going to happen to a defenseman that pinches into the offensive-zone. Usually, the risk is worth it because he’s able to create solid scoring chances. He is not really a shooter either. His shot is definitely not a definitive aspect to his game. I think Cagnoni will be able to keep up with the pace of the pro game eventually. But, he is undersized and will probably need to be paired with a more defensive-minded defenseman for him to have the most success.

I don’t see him as a potential #1 D. But, Cagnoni could be a guy you have in your top 4 that is able to get pucks up ice and QB a 2nd PP which is still a valuable asset. There is always risk associated with drafting undersized defenseman, but he is going to get bigger and stronger at 5’10”. I think Cagnoni is definitely a 1st round pick.

Reactions: wetcoast

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad