LD Joni Jurmo - KooKoo, Liiga (2020, 82nd, VAN; traded to CAL)

DiglettDangles

Feb 15, 2020
Montreal
Wish the Jets can find a way to select him by picking up a late 1st or early 2nd.

This is where he'll go despite this thread being excecptionally short. I am hoping teams sleep on him and he slips to MTL's 39/40.
We have recent history of picking lesser known defensemen "early" in R2 that turn out looking great a year later.

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
Finnish defenceman Joni Jurmo had a solid season in his countries’ junior leagues playing in the Jokerit system this year. The 17-year-old played 43 games in the Jr. A Under-20 League putting up five goals and 23 assists for 28 points in 43 games. He was only able to play one playoff game before the season was cancelled. He also played one game in the Jr. B Under-18 League, picking up an assist. Jurmo also represented his national teams. He played four games for the Under-18 National team and four games for the Under-20 team picking up three goals and six points. Following the season Jurmo transferred to JYP and is expected to play for their men’s team in the SM Liiga next season.

In 2018-19, Jurmo was one of the best players in the Jr. B U-18. He put up three goals and 20 assists for 23 points in 42 games. Jurmo also added a goal and two assists in seven playoff games. He helped lead his Jokerit team to the league championship. Jurmo was named the best defenceman in the league and a First-Team All-Star. He also played five games at the U-20 level, picking up an assist.

Our Scouting Report
https://lastwordonhockey.com/2020/05/19/joni-jurmo-scouting-report/

Kipper933

Remember the Kipper
Jul 10, 2002
Toronto, ON
Visit site
Jurmo is probably the player I'm most interested to see where he gets taken this year. I was expecting him to show up higher in the final scouting service rankings, but he was in the late, late 2nd of McKenzie's list and that's one of his higher rankings.

His profile reads like a guy that would go in the Top-25 most drafts, I rate him and Wallinder pretty similarly. Jurmo has shown more offensive flair and Wallinder is more sturdy defensively, but I also like Jurmo's defensive game, efficient, good positioning.

His ability to read defenders while carrying the puck is fantastic, and he uses his skating excellently to exploit openings. Obviously there's a bit of a question mark if he can still use his skillset effectively on a smaller ice surface with less time and space to skate in to, but I think his upside is quite high.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
Jurmo seems like an inevitable Carolina pick with one of their 2nds or a 3rd this year. It’d be very interesting to keep tabs on him, Honka and Puistola with them all signed to play for JYP next year.

Dutronc

May 14, 2018
Jurmo seems like an inevitable Carolina pick with one of their 2nds or a 3rd this year. It’d be very interesting to keep tabs on him, Honka and Puistola with them all signed to play for JYP next year.
If my team draft late 1st he's my pick. A reach but he's amazing.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I really feel like he’d be on Anaheim’s list at the 31 spot for sure and I doubt we’d pass him at 36 if he still there

Reactions: Dutronc

PodcastAlleyCanada

Jun 28, 2020

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
Big fan of this pick. Late 3rds are wild cards, but you can't teach his size and skating.

Reactions: Blueston

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Wanted Thompson here but this could be a solid pick too

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad