LD Jonathan Tychonick - BCHL, Penticton Vees (2018, 48th, OTT)

NarcoPolo

Jul 16, 2012
Figured this kid deserves his own thread by now (if he already does than my bad).

He's a very strong skater with quick feet and good edges and has the ability to make pin point passes through traffic as his head is always up and possess's great vision and tons of confidence with the puck. He's got fantastic puck skills and isn't afraid to be aggressive on the rush, often catching players off guard with his speed/edge work or just flat out undressing players at times. In his own zone his edges and quick feet allow him to be more evasive in puck retrievals but he, like most other young kids, could stand to get a bit stronger because at the Junior level he can get bounced around from time to time. On a similar note, I'd like him to be more assertive physically away from the puck or in puck battles but I think that will come as he continues to add strength to his frame. He's doesnt have a lot of size to him atm but he's a shade under 6 ft which is not small by todays standards in the NHL. I expect him have a strong summer and wouldn't be surprised at all if he was a 1st round pick next year, potentially going in the range where Fabbro went in his draft year.

Last edited:

Dumpster Flyers

Jun 21, 2006
What's the deal with this kid? He seems to have high end skills and is committed to a top school (UND), but I rarely see him ranked in the 1st round.

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
What's the deal with this kid? He seems to have high end skills and is committed to a top school (UND), but I rarely see him ranked in the 1st round.
The age-old problem with prospects playing in Junior A: unless they’re utterly dominating - like a Jost or Makar - it is difficult for scouts to confidently assess players. For the record, I think Tychonick would look just as impressive if he was playing in the CHL and he is firmly within my personal first round.

Reactions: FrankGallagher

FrankGallagher

Oct 6, 2015
Really underrated I think. One of the best players to watch leading a breakout as he's a threat both carrying and passing the puck up. Also an extremely shifty skater who has great mobility, This is one of the best parts of his game offensively as he really uses his skating and patience on the offensive blue line to control the play. I had him 15th in February and think he's undervalued because of the level he's playing at

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Good two-way player which have all the modern era strengths you want in a defender. He also plays bigger than his size says and isn't soft for an offencive defender. There is a capacity limit on his talent, but with that said he is a superb prospect worth of going in the late first round for me. Just needs to get bigger as he's underdeveloped physically to the style of game he wants to play and he will absolutely do just that by going to North Dakota and the NCAA route.

Reactions: 99664987

Haanz

Mar 2, 2013
I know offense and skating are his bread and butter, but how is his defensive game? Outside of adding some size / strength, is he lacking in any areas in particular?

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
I know offense and skating are his bread and butter, but how is his defensive game? Outside of adding some size / strength, is he lacking in any areas in particular?
I mean, he doesn’t smoke guys every game and isn’t exactly a Shea Weber clone, but the game is moving far away from that anyways. Very agile skater, smart and hardworking, and a good stick. He’ll need to develop more but he’s at a good place in all important defensive attributes.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013

HP, ISS and FC all have him ranked #29. Looks like he's a late-season riser.

I also doubt those guys watch BCHL much, which may explain his lack of hype. Actual NHL scouts have probably seen him a lot more and may have him ranked quite high in comparison, a bit like Cholowski who ended up going #20, although he was rocketing up the draft lists late in the season and most had him in the 1st round at that point.

JK2K

Mar 13, 2017
Will he get an invite to Team Canada u18 WC? Will Canada wait to see what other D is available after first round or will he get an invite right now after being eliminated?

Dodospice

Jan 19, 2012
Will he get an invite to Team Canada u18 WC? Will Canada wait to see what other D is available after first round or will he get an invite right now after being eliminated?

Should garner an invite right away imo.

Ducati Boy

HF Original
Feb 7, 2018
He would be my choice as a darkhorse top 15 player in the draft. Despite Penticton's loss, he performed as a leader and as the dominant force on the team, particularly as the season progressed, which is what scouts always want to see.

JK2K

Mar 13, 2017
When will Hockey Canada announce the first traunch of players invited?
After round 1?

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I think his stock is going to jump up big time after the U18’s.

TLP

Apr 9, 2018
Good player, but really a mid second rounder. The draft is just too deep.

Teemu

Caffeine Free Since 1919
Dec 3, 2002

Really phenomenal interview from Jonny. Watched him all season, he's mature beyond his years.

Also had an interesting interview with Scott Wheeler in the Athletic. Kid certainly has a personality.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->