LD John Ludvig (2019, 69th, FLA; claimed by PIT)

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
Surprised there isn't already a thread about him. Ludvig is one of my favourites.

In the 2019 draft, the Florida Panthers made a surprise pick by taking Ludvig, an overage defenseman with 18 points in 58 WHL games. That's the type of production that normally wouldn't warrant a draft pick, especially for an overager.

John Ludvig took a massive step forward the next season, putting up 62 points in 60 games for the Portland Winterhawks. He is more of a shutdown defenseman who is known for his mobility and physicality, but the offense seems to have taken a major step forward too.

He has 6 points in 10 AHL games to start off his pro career. Has anyone seen him play down there?

Reactions: barriers

Sticktape

Jan 25, 2017
Great article on the kid

From the article:

Mike Johnston shared a story about when he went to visit Ludvig after his rookie season in the WHL. “I stopped in to see him, his dad, and his mom. His dad and John took me out into the backyard and asked if I wanted to see where John trained. I will describe what I saw as a shed, barn-like structure. In there was a pullup bar, a sawed-off log, and John would work in there almost like a “Rocky” like-program. He was jumping on and off logs, doing pull ups, dong one handed push ups, stickhandling, shooting, and would run through the forest.”

Sure enough, Ludvig echoed what his bench boss said, “Yep, we have this barn or shed in my backyard where I have some weights, tires, and sledgehammers. I’ve got an old school training setup here which is very useful for me. This quarantine hasn’t impacted me too much training wise because of my style of training.”

The runs through the forest are not your everyday run, “We still have four feet of snow up here still. Every morning I get up with my family and we are going on hikes through the mountains in four feet of snow.”

“I couldn’t believe it,” Johnston continued. “I have never seen that in today’s day and age. Everybody is at a gym with high-tech equipment, but here John was old school “Rocky” training like you see at the end of the movie and how he is doing all these things with no fancy equipment. That just shows you with John the type of focus and work ethic he has.”

The old-school mentality does not end with the backyard.

Johnston and the family went back inside the house before departing for dinner. “Do you have internet here,” Johnston asked. John answered, “Nah, not really, it doesn’t really work well out here.”

The Ludvigs live about 15 minutes outside of Kamloops.

Johnston was left thinking, “This guy is a teenage kid, training in a shed, working in the woods, training like he is, old school as they come, and doesn’t have internet. Wow, this is an amazingly focused and determined kid.”

canucklax

Feb 9, 2018
He was such a fun guy to watch develop over the years in Portland. He initially came in after getting listed playing Jr. B and quickly earned a reputation as a rugged defensive defenseman who in his 17 and 18 year old years would shut down top lines. He was lauded for his shot blocking and physicality but never really had much time on the PP or o-zone starts. Florida drafted him and something clicked that offseason that opened up so much for him offensively. Hes not a flashy guy in the o-zone but he reads the play well and has a hard shot that is able to get to the net. I think with his skating and defensive play he'll for sure be at least a bottom pair guy with PK time, but with his final year in junior and now a hot start to his pro career, could have 2nd pairing/2nd PP upside if this trend continues. The story above is an excellent example of his work ethic that has taken him all the way from Jr B to the AHL and how I would definitely bet on him to make the most of his abilities.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
We Panthers fans are high on him, it seems like he has a decent shot at being a solid 2nd pairing two-way guy if he keeps up his offensive production. He'll be a good piece for us as the Panthers continue to retool their blueline.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad