LD Janis Jerome Moser - EHC Biel-Bienne, NLA (2021, 60th, ARI)

Speyer

Sep 23, 2016
Im Wald
His passing and hockey IQ are already on an NHL level in my opinion. If he wants to play in the big league he needs to improve his shot (mostly power) and his size/strength though. If he can put up good numbers this season I could see a team drafting him in the later rounds as drafting overagers seems to have become more popular lately.

Reactions: JabbaJabba

Kipper933

Remember the Kipper
Jul 10, 2002
Toronto, ON
Visit site
Would he be eligible at 21 years old? Or UFA?

Yes, as a European player, he's still draft-eligible for 1 more draft.

He's looked pretty decent in the WJCs and a handful of games at the WC the last couple years and gone undrafted. But certainly a big year in a top european league in the NLA would get him a long look by NHL teams.

LeonTheKing

Aug 8, 2016
12 points in 11 games. Definitely not just a hot streak. Someone should've picked him in late round.

Speyer

Sep 23, 2016
Im Wald
Moser is sort of a weird case. He was always a good passer but that never seemed to translate to assists in Juniors and especially in his first few pro years. It needs to be pointed out however that he used to play very conservatively in Biel prioritizing to make the safe play instead of taking offensive risks. Then this season he moved up the depth charts in Biel and got more offensive responsibilities and all of a sudden the points seem to finally come. His shot power and release however are stil abysmal and nowhere near the NHL level. He is also very frail and could get manhandled in a tougher league. So he is still a project and would probably need a couple more years of seasoning in Biel.

tcat84

Sep 15, 2014
16 in 16 now.

Leading ALL Dmen in the league in P/G tied for overall points , leading all skaters 23 and younger in P/G and points...

Pretty impressive stuff for a 20 yr old in the NL.

Reactions: JabbaJabba

Speyer

Sep 23, 2016
Im Wald
16 in 16 now.

Leading ALL Dmen in the league in P/G tied for overall points , leading all skaters 23 and younger in P/G and points...

Pretty impressive stuff for a 20 yr old in the NL.

I agree, I never thought he could hold his PPG pace this long but he keeps proving me wrong. I initially thought last year that Berni and Aebischer (I am still really high on him too) had more NHL potential but Moser had an extremely impressive season so far and some of the points he scored came in very important moments for his club wich makes him the most promising prospect for our country right now. Switzerland hasnt had a top 4 dman in the NHL since Josi, so lets hope that Moser can fill this void eventually. It will be interesting to see how early he will go in next years draft as he will be definitely one of the more predictable players with lots of ice time this season.

slumpy43

Mar 30, 2005
USA
In comparison to Josi's 2009-2010 NLA season, statistically:

Roman Josi: 19 yrs old, 0.81 PPG and contributed to about 26.7% of the team's goals
Janis Jerome Moser: 20 yrs old, 0.89 PPG and contributed to about 27.9% of the team's goals

Granted the NLA's caliber may of been different 10 years ago and he is a full year older that Roman was, but the numbers are still impressive.

Speyer

Sep 23, 2016
Im Wald
In comparison to Josi's 2009-2010 NLA season, statistically:

Roman Josi: 19 yrs old, 0.81 PPG and contributed to about 26.7% of the team's goals
Janis Jerome Moser: 20 yrs old, 0.89 PPG and contributed to about 27.9% of the team's goals

Granted the NLA's caliber may of been different 10 years ago and he is a full year older that Roman was, but the numbers are still impressive.

Moser isnt really comparable to Josi in 2010. Josi was arguably the best D in the league that year, especially in the playoffs where he dominated and was a big factor for Bern winning the championship. I really like Moser but I am a bit concerned how his offence will translate on a higher level. Besides that he needs to get stronger to.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Moser isnt really comparable to Josi in 2010. Josi was arguably the best D in the league that year, especially in the playoffs where he dominated and was a big factor for Bern winning the championship. I really like Moser but I am a bit concerned how his offence will translate on a higher level. Besides that he needs to get stronger to.

Absolutely. Nice late bloomer story but he isn't anywhere near NHL allstar material. I wouldn't necessarily expect him to stick in the NHL at all. Like you said, he's not an offensive defenseman by design and he's rather soft, too. Difficult to carve out an NHL career as a European if you don't have high end skill or physical presence.

Speyer

Sep 23, 2016
Im Wald
Absolutely. Nice late bloomer story but he isn't anywhere near NHL allstar material. I wouldn't necessarily expect him to stick in the NHL at all. Like you said, he's not an offensive defenseman by design and he's rather soft, too. Difficult to carve out an NHL career as a European if you don't have high end skill or physical presence.

If he makes the NHL long term, I see him more as a defensive minded d-man as well. It should't be underestimated how much more difficult it is to contribute offensively in the NHL compared to the european leagues. He also won't have the same opportunities on the PP or in overtime that he has in Biel right now. I think his future in the NHL will be determined in how much he can round out his frame and adapt to the north american game. Any further offensive improvement would be very valuable to. Luck will probably an important factor as well. He should try to avoid the AHL at all costs for example if he doesn't plan to end up like Rhatgeb and company.

I have to say I am impressed though with how he progressed this year. He was basically an offensive blackhole before and has become above average (for the NLA) within a season. And he was always a good skater and puck mover with great defensive decision making and a good first outlet pass. I am curious to see if he will be able to progress further in the future and how he will play against better competition at the WC.

Reactions: Hinterland

Speyer

Sep 23, 2016
Im Wald
Honestly if we’re going to players based on similar passports, he’s closer to Roman Josi than Diaz in all honesty.

That being said, I think a comparison around a guy like Damon Severson is fair an accurate.

I disagree with that. Even though Diaz isnt a perfect comparison (I couldn't find one on top of my head) he is a lot more comparable to JJ Moser than Severson or Josi. While Moser is certainly a better skater and better defensively than Diaz (opposed to Diaz' slightly better offensive toolset) their rather diminutive physical presence in the corners as well as behind and in front of the net are comparable. Moser wont be an offensive, or even two way defenseman in the NHL, but rather a defensive minded player that relies on hockey iq instead of physicality and can help the transition game of his team with good outlet passes and skating.

Leopain

Jun 15, 2017
Got called up and played two games with Arizona this week. How has he looked?

finkelsteinberg

Sponsor
Jul 1, 2016
Phoenix, AZ
Got called up and played two games with Arizona this week. How has he looked?
I only saw 1 of the games. Got pushed around a bit. Took a penalty likely due to his lack of strength/size so he definitely needs to add some weight which the coach pretty much said. Didn't look bad but still needs some time.

Reactions: Leopain

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad