LD Jamie Oleksiak (2011, 14th, DAL)

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
Just curious...

I know he was born in/from Canada, but he's represented the US in the past.

What's his situation? Grew up in Canada or the US? I see he played in Toronto a couple few years ago. Dual citizen?

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Just curious...

I know he was born in/from Canada, but he's represented the US in the past.

What's his situation? Grew up in Canada or the US? I see he played in Toronto a couple few years ago. Dual citizen?

he has played in the US for sometime now...I have watched him all the way back to his tier-1 days before his time in the USHL. He has dual citizenship, but has represented the US and looks to continue to do so from the future on. he has the opportunity to be an Adam Deadmarsh player (switch sides), but it is very unlikely imo as he seems to be completely motivated to make team USA next year for the WJC.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
anything new on him? isles have two second rounders and id like to see them add size to their d prospect corps.

txomisc

Mar 18, 2002
California
Visit site
Should be gone around 15-20

And perhaps even earlier. We are talking about a massive player who can apparently skate pretty damn well for his size. Teams are going to be very very intrigued by that. It wouldnt be at all shocking to see someone with that profile go top 10.

dkollidas

Nov 18, 2010
Anyone say Islanders? Don't ask me why, but I have a feeling they pick up at 5th or 6th wherever they fall because I think they realize the lack of size and strength on their blueline and I also think that the idea of adding a d-man that large is exciting in terms of pulicity, which they need

SuperSaiyanBeastmode

May 20, 2010
Ontario
the fact that he can skate, and has offensive upside WHILE being 6'7" 240lbs... well I would not be surprised if he's taken before ryan murphy imho. he is in my top 3 of the best players that might be available after the top 10.(jensen, and zibanejad are included in that) I hope burke moves up for any of those three!

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
Should be gone around 15-20

yeah, i want the isles to trade up with their (presumably 34th pick and 50th pick) and try and go after him but after reading some of the comments above, he probably wont be there.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
the fact that he can skate, and has offensive upside WHILE being 6'7" 240lbs... well I would not be surprised if he's taken before ryan murphy imho. he is in my top 3 of the best players that might be available after the top 10.(jensen, and zibanejad are included in that) I hope burke moves up for any of those three!

He won't (Or rather shouldn't) be taken before Murphy but he should be the fifth defensemen taken and picked around 11-15

Theman96

Jan 5, 2011
North America
Burke should jump all over him if he is still available because what's better than a monster PMD? He should draft with th higher 1st RD pick just in case some1 takes him before our 2nd 1st or 2nd pick

waingr0

May 14, 2010
I want the Leafs to grab him with whichever 1st that comes earlier. I doubt he makes it past #15, though. Too much potential to pass on.

outKast*

He's Boris Valabik part 2. I would rather so many other dmen over him.

NUhockey

Jul 6, 2010
Boston
If you're going to troll, do it a bit better ;)

Valabik was and still is a sub par skater. Oleksiak is an excellent skater.

Valabik is a defensive defensmen, Oleksiak is most definitely an offensive defensemen.

I would say Oleksiak is a mix rather than offensively minded, but we'll see how his game develops. As for the other poster comparing him to Valabik, you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. They are two completely different players when height is discarded.

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
I doubt he slips beyond 15, not with the effectiveness of the likes of Hedman and Myers, big (size-wise) NHL ready D.

Myers went 12th in a deep draft, and if I remember correctly he wasn't in the top 30 part way through the year - just like Oleksiak.

zeus3007*

RNH + Oleksiak or Larsson + Zibenejad would be ideal.

Or Larsson and Oleksiak. With Marincin and Teubert also in the system, nobody would be knocking the Oilers defense prospects anymore...just their NHL defenders.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad