LD Jamie Oleksiak (2011, 14th, DAL)

Analyzer*

Is this guy jacked ? How else can you be 240 and skate well at 6'7 ?

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
He's 240lbs at age 17? :amazed:

If he truly does have offensive potential and skating ability packaged into a 6'7, 240lbs it wouldn't suprise me for him to go much higher than he rated.

Mathletic

Feb 28, 2002
Ste-Foy
Yeah you gotta wonder why the offense isnt coming for him since everyone seems to indicate he has alot of offensive skills. He seems to have a ton more filling out to do than Oleksiak and he looks like he is 13.

I'd be more interested in his defensive game, which seems to be very good

firstroundbust

lacks explosiveness
Mar 3, 2004
Parts Unknown
I did a little interview with a Redline Scout, with whom we HFers are familar:

Max Giese said:
Really, skies the limit for Jamie. It's hard to project his ceiling when every year he just gets better and better. He's a massive kid that moves pretty well on his feet for a big guy (he's a bit knock-kneed but it doesn't matter because how strong his edgework is). He's almost unbeatable one-on-one with his massive wingspan and quality footwork. There is a burgeoning edge there and he is actually fairly skilled with the puck. No way this kid gets out of the first-round in my opinion. His decision making used to be an issue but it has improved steadily year after year to where some NHL scouts who are just getting their first look at him now are saying it's a non-issue. I remember when the Chicago Steel brought him in as a 16 year-old and he was an uncoordinated mess and wasn't a very smart player. It's amazing how far he's come.

dkollidas

Nov 18, 2010
I know it's not a need, but could you imagine him and Myers as a pairing? That'd be insane just size wise. Although the Sabres definitely need a center much more so than any other position, but still fun to think about.

Nasty Nazem

Come at me Crow!
Apr 5, 2010
Canada
Anyone know how good his offensive game is or if he actually plays physical/has a mean streak?

His size is so intriguing, especially if he skates well. I wouldn't mind Burke picking him up with either 1st or 2nd round pick.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
Can't see him slipping out of the 1st round and he could be this years McIlrath like someone said earlier.

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
Anyone know how good his offensive game is or if he actually plays physical/has a mean streak?

His size is so intriguing, especially if he skates well. I wouldn't mind Burke picking him up with either 1st or 2nd round pick.

Doubt he gets that far but if he does get to either Leafs pick I can't see them passing on him. I can't see many passing on him after 20, though. I think Jensen and him are two guys that will either get picked reeeally high and shock everyone or, at the latest, get picked 21/22

Edgeworth*

Jamieson Oleksiak

Most mock drafts have this kid at the mid to late 1st range was wondering why? His stats from '09-'10 looked pretty good and this year he's got 3A in 18GP. I admittedly don't know a ton about his game but a guy who's 6'7 is hard to pass up.

Question for me is:

Is Oleksiak more of a Valabik or a Chara? Does he have what it takes to hit the NHL level? I'd assume a lot of teams would love a guy who has such size so is it just his skating that needs work?

rockinghockey

Oct 22, 2008
Jamie Oleksiak

I have been trying to learn a bit about prospects from the 2011 draft since Edm will have two picks in the 1st round and a very early 2nd.

What can you tell me about this kid?

I know that he is big but how is his skating, puck handling, shot, hockey sense and does he use his size and power in games?

Thanks

Uncle Ed

Oct 10, 2010
SI NY
I have been trying to learn a bit about prospects from the 2011 draft since Edm will have two picks in the 1st round and a very early 2nd.

What can you tell me about this kid?

I know that he is big but how is his skating, puck handling, shot, hockey sense and does he use his size and power in games?

Thanks

saw what looked like edmonton scouts at the BU/NE game tonight. im sure there were probably more too checking out Oleksiak as well as Clendening and Nieto

TheNorth

Better Call Saul
Feb 16, 2010
Think he well be taller then Chara? How tall were guys like Chara, Meyers, and Valabik in their draft years?

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I wanna see more of him as well. He's huge!

thatswhatshesaid.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad