LD Jake Bean (2016, 13th, CAR; traded to CBJ)

Sticks and Pucks

Jan 2, 2008
This guy is only 16 years old and is having a pretty good season so far. Why did he go undrafted in the Bantam Draft? Was it a case of having the skill but not the size or did he just improve a lot since the draft? What does he project to become?

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
This guy is only 16 years old and is having a pretty good season so far. Why did he go undrafted in the Bantam Draft? Was it a case of having the skill but not the size or did he just improve a lot since the draft? What does he project to become?

Wasnt good enough at the time... late bloomer.... thats the case for many many players and the reason why alot of people wish that the WHL draft would be a year later just like the other 2 leagues in Canada

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Really skilled with the puck. Gets pucks on net. Accurate shot. Good skater but lacks power right now. Needs a lot of work in the defensive zone, but he is an agile enough skater to hold his own. Sometimes overhandles the puck instead of making the simple play. The only two goals Calgary gave up this weekend were a direct result of that. Needs time to develop physically. Good looking young player.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Does he project to be better than Provorov?
That's a tough question. Bean's only 16. Provorov's 17 but he's a lot closer to his peak. Provorov is near NHL-ready. Bean is probably going to need a few years to develop. Even that, they play a different style of game. Bean is much more geared to the offensive side. He takes risks. Not sure he thinks the game at Provorov's level.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
What's impressive to me with Bean is that he's still an extremely raw player. Skates ok but lacks power. Obviously lacks size, strength and overall jam in his game. But he's smart, moves the puck well and is trending up fast.

As for him not being drafted in Bantam, I believe zjh said in the past that he told teams he was going to play NCAA. That obviously hurt his chances, along with his lack of size at the time.

zjh

@ZenonHerasymiuk
Jan 24, 2011
AB88
What's impressive to me with Bean is that he's still an extremely raw player. Skates ok but lacks power. Obviously lacks size, strength and overall jam in his game. But he's smart, moves the puck well and is trending up fast.

As for him not being drafted in Bantam, I believe zjh said in the past that he told teams he was going to play NCAA. That obviously hurt his chances, along with his lack of size at the time.

Yeah a scout told me that. Also told he wasn't great in his draft year, small and weak. Likely a combination of the two. His dad is the CFO of the Flames, so it makes sense that the Hitmen took a flyer. Bottom line is he worked hard to make himself the player he is today. Been fun to watch.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
His backskate is really choppy and he doesn't cover much ground which gives him trouble defending. He'll have to iron that to not be a liability, but he's really good with the puck on his stick. Very creative.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Where do you guys think he'll land in the 2016 draft.

I hope the Canucks land him. Kids absolutely amazing.

1st round, but pretty hard to say exactly where. Wouldn't be crazy to have him as a top 20 guy probably, even if he is a littler rough around the edges still.

Dec 3, 2012
Off to a great start for Calgary. 9 points in 6 games. Really good offensive Dmen. Like him a lot.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Sanheim-Bean pairing is the best in junior hockey. They are carrying Calgary. They might lead the team in scoring.

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
No that would be Clague-Provorov but Bean-Sanheim are a close 2nd. Watched some of the game last night and they were great in both ends.

As of now the Brandon duo still play together on the PP, but that's it. IMO, the Sanheim-Bean pair is clearly better.

BIitz

GRANT = SOFT
Oct 5, 2010
Him and Sanheim are so good together. Love Bean, one of my favorite defenseman spects this year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad