LD Jérémie Poirier - Saint John Sea Dogs, QMJHL (2020, 72nd, CGY)

Andy Lehoux

Jan 2, 2018
I never seen a 16-years-old D dominate as much the QMJHL as Poirier did last night against Halifax. He was easily the best player on the ice every shift. His confidence is incredible and he is very skill offensively.

He was selected 8th at the last QMJHL draft. He's currently 6'0 and he weights 192 pounds (from September 2018). He was born in June 2002.

EP profile --> Jérémie Poirier at eliteprospects.com

I don't want to overreact because it's just 1 game, but if he continues to play like this, he might as well challenge for a top 15 spot at the 2020 draft. He still need to improve some aspect in his game, but he has a great potential. A name to keep in mind.

[Edit] Here's a scouting report on Poirier if anyone is interested.

Last edited:

Seb

All we are is Dustin Byfuglien
Jul 15, 2006
I know Poirier is a prevalent last name in Qc, but is he related to Emile in some ways?

cg98

Oct 10, 2017
I never seen a 16-years-old D dominate as much the QMJHL as Poirier did last night against Halifax. He was easily the best player on the ice every shift. His confidence is incredible and he is very skill offensively.

He was selected 8th at the last QMJHL draft. He's currently 6'0 and he weights 192 pounds (from September 2018). He was born in June 2002.

I don't want to overreact, but if he continues to play like this, he might as well challenge Alex Lafrènière (and Byfield, Holtz, etc..) for the 2020 #1 spot. A name to keep in mind.
No way he challenges them for #1, not now anyways. Kid just started his junior career, lets wait and see first.

Andy Lehoux

Jan 2, 2018
No way he challenges them for #1, not now anyways. Kid just started his junior career, lets wait and see first.
That's why I said "I don't want to overreact, but if he continues to play like this, he might as well challenge..." He played such a good game. He looked like a 18-years-old Thomas Chabot in his first QMJHL game. Still, it's 1 game and I will wait to see him more before putting him in the same tier as Lafrènière, Byfield and Holtz.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
That's why I said "I don't want to overreact, but if he continues to play like this, he might as well challenge..." He played such a good game. He looked like a 18-years-old Thomas Chabot in his first QMJHL game. Still, it's 1 game and I will wait to see him more before putting him in the same tier as Lafrènière, Byfield and Holtz.
He never looked anything like Chabot as an 18 year old last night.

Reactions: cg98

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan
Yeah I watched last night and he was very impressive for his age but has a long ways to go to be in the top 5 discussion. Has tremendous skating and plays very confidently but has to learn how to pick his spots better as well as his shot which should come in time. He definitely looks promising though and I'm not sure how he fell to 8th.

Reactions: Andy Lehoux

Andy Lehoux

Jan 2, 2018
Yeah I watched last night and he was very impressive for his age but has a long ways to go to be in the top 5 discussion. Has tremendous skating and plays very confidently but has to learn how to pick his spots better as well as his shot which should come in time. He definitely looks promising though and I'm not sure how he fell to 8th.
Totally agree ! It's only game and he still need to improve some aspect in his game, but he has a great potential.

Thebesthockey

Aug 6, 2013

I don't want to overreact because it's just 1 game, but if he continues to play like this, he might as well challenge Alex Lafrènière (and Byfield, Holtz, etc..) for the 2020 #1 spot. He still need to improve some aspect in his game, but he has a great potential. A name to keep in mind.

ummm

no

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I'm going to echo what others have said. Very impressive player. Looks like a high pick for 2020. He definitely could learn to pick his spots better, but I think he's actually pretty good defensively.

Scratchy

Nov 14, 2011
I've seen very little of these young guys but Poirier seems aggressive, skates well, reads the play well, just needs to work on his shot and passing. A quite intriguing young player. Responsible but aggressive going forward. Hope he keeps improving.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
I've seen very little of these young guys but Poirier seems aggressive, skates well, reads the play well, just needs to work on his shot and passing. A quite intriguing young player. Responsible but aggressive going forward. Hope he keeps improving.

Sounds a little concerning.

Andy Lehoux

Jan 2, 2018
Here's quick compilation of clips I've got on him. Poirier has an incredible potential. He got the skill, hockey IQ, vision, offensive instinct and release. Only thing he needs to work on is his top speed/acceleration, as he often gets beat by speedy forwards when defending rushes. Right now I would have him in the mid-1st for 2020.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Planning to get to a Sea Dogs game soon. Can't wait to get a look at this kid.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
The lack of Poirier discussion for the top defensemen spots in the 2020 draft is surprising.

I don't think he's as good as Drysdale, but after that, I'm having trouble seeing why exactly Poirier does not deserve to be in the discussion after that among the best defensemen in the 2020 draft.

scoutman1

Twitter - scoutman33
Feb 19, 2005
www.facebook.com
The lack of Poirier discussion for the top defensemen spots in the 2020 draft is surprising.

I don't think he's as good as Drysdale, but after that, I'm having trouble seeing why exactly Poirier does not deserve to be in the discussion after that among the best defensemen in the 2020 draft.
To me justion barron is the top defender for drsft then jamie drysdale...those two are on pedestal by themselved....next teir is guhle, poirier, o'rourke

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
To me justion barron is the top defender for drsft then jamie drysdale...those two are on pedestal by themselved....next teir is guhle, poirier, o'rourke

I would say that Poirier and Barron are a similar caliber. I don't think either is a surefire 1D prospect. Barron's defending is a little questionable, Poirier could improve his skating slightly. I have Drysdale as a tier higher. I think he could compete for 1OA. Outside of Dahlin, I think he's the next best D prospect in any recent draft.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad