LD Ivan Provorov - Brandon Wheat Kings, WHL (2015, 7th, PHI)

Status
Not open for further replies.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Like the WJC?

Yeah, I'm still high on Provorov. And I've got no skin in the game as an Oilers fan.

Brandon has laid some absolutely awful games this year and bounced back. Let's wait until the Memorial Cup is all said and done before we throw him under the bus.

Besides, these are 16-19 year old kids, they are prone to ups and downs. It's what makes junior hockey so exciting.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Yeah, I'm still high on Provorov. And I've got no skin in the game as an Oilers fan.

Brandon has laid some absolutely awful games this year and bounced back. Let's wait until the Memorial Cup is all said and done before we throw him under the bus.

Besides, these are 16-19 year old kids, they are prone to ups and downs. It's what makes junior hockey so exciting.

And to say it again, he was 3rd star in game 1 so all this BS is based on 1 game.

And he has points on half his teams goals....tied for the team lead with Quennville.

He still has been the best BWK, but their team has been outmatched.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
And to say it again, he was 3rd star in game 1 so all this BS is based on 1 game.

And he has points on half his teams goals....tied for the team lead with Quennville.

He still has been the best BWK, but their team has been outmatched.

They were simply blown out by an absolutely dominant London Knights team. The entire Brandon team was awful. It looked like men against boys out there, very shocking to see.

A lot of people who don't follow Brandon probably don't know they lost 10-0 to Red Deer this year and got blown out in a game during every series on their way to the WHL Championship.

This team bounces back well, I'm not saying they'll beat the Knights. London should wrap this up very easily, but don't be surprised if we see Brandon bounce back and play much better in their remaining games.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
As I said in another thread, if Marner was gone when the Leafs picked, I would have taken Provorov before Strome or Hanafin and I still would. The kid is a stud.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I said this prior to lotto, and as bad as Memorial Cup has been I stand by it. I would trade Puljujarvi (or 4th overall) for Provorov.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
I said this prior to lotto, and as bad as Memorial Cup has been I stand by it. I would trade Puljujarvi (or 4th overall) for Provorov.

In my view, Marner and Provorov are the two best drafted players not in the NHL. Despite these crappy two games for Provorov, I still stand by it.

Brandon has just been shellshocked against two excellent teams. To my eyes, this Knights team is among the top 3 junior teams I've ever seen.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
In my view, Marner and Provorov are the two best drafted players not in the NHL. Despite these crappy two games for Provorov, I still stand by it.

Brandon has just been shellshocked against two excellent teams. To my eyes, this Knights team is among the top 3 junior teams I've ever seen.
Crazy thing is, Erie beat them in the regular season (London lost 4 players to the WJC to Erie's 3). I think Marner is the best drafted (but its debatable). Strome and Provorov deserve some discussion. To a lesser extent, so do Connor, Werenski, Rantanen and Nylander (if you weren't including him. Werenski has had a very impressive year, but was slightly over shadowed by Michigan's top line. Will be interesting to see how they bounce back. I was more dissappointed with Patrick and Hawryluk, they really created nothing what was supposed to be the best non-london line in the CHL, even Debrincat and Strome put up a way better fight.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Crazy thing is, Erie beat them in the regular season (London lost 4 players to the WJC to Erie's 3). I think Marner is the best drafted (but its debatable). Strome and Provorov deserve some discussion. To a lesser extent, so do Connor, Werenski, Rantanen and Nylander (if you weren't including him. Werenski has had a very impressive year, but was slightly over shadowed by Michigan's top line. Will be interesting to see how they bounce back. I was more dissappointed with Patrick and Hawryluk, they really created nothing what was supposed to be the best non-london line in the CHL, even Debrincat and Strome put up a way better fight.

Yeah those are some good players. I still have Marner and Provorov ahead on my list.

It was very strange indeed to see Brandon get smoked like that. You seem like you're into junior hockey and probably haven't followed the WHL as closely as the OHL (I'm the reverse).

This Brandon team has been crushed by teams before only to come back and win later on. Brandon still has some very good players and an excellent coach. They are a proud group full of many big, strong players. It looks like they have a size and strength advantage over London. London has an obvious speed and skill advantage. For Brandon to compete, they have to slow the game down and work the cycle game. Play a dump and chase game with a heavy forecheck. They are a team that adapts well.

I don't think they can keep up with the Knights because the Knights are a very special team. But, if they do meet again I would expect Brandon to be much better and put together a way better performance.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Yeah those are some good players. I still have Marner and Provorov ahead on my list.

It was very strange indeed to see Brandon get smoked like that. You seem like you're into junior hockey and probably haven't followed the WHL as closely as the OHL (I'm the reverse).

This Brandon team has been crushed by teams before only to come back and win later on. Brandon still has some very good players and an excellent coach. They are a proud group full of many big, strong players. It looks like they have a size and strength advantage over London. London has an obvious speed and skill advantage. For Brandon to compete, they have to slow the game down and work the cycle game. Play a dump and chase game with a heavy forecheck. They are a team that adapts well.

I don't think they can keep up with the Knights because the Knights are a very special team. But, if they do meet again I would expect Brandon to be much better and put together a way better performance.
I follow Jr, mainly the OHL due to getting practically all there games on my television package (and the first half of the Leafs not being worth watching til they brought up the youngsters), get some Q, but no WHL unless its Friday night hockey. Was very surprised to see them smoked back to back.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
I follow Jr, mainly the OHL due to getting practically all there games on my television package (and the first half of the Leafs not being worth watching til they brought up the youngsters), get some Q, but no WHL unless its Friday night hockey. Was very surprised to see them smoked back to back.

This has not been the Brandon team I've seen all year. But, I have seen them put up some terrible performances like we saw against the Knights. They are a very fickle and strange team to understand at times.

When Brandon is "on" they can be dominant working the cycle game and forecheck. Yet they can also get blown out of the building by lesser competition from time to time.

While I would expect Brandon to bounce back and play the Knights much tougher if they met again, I don't think they are any match for the Knights. The Knights are just too talented and too fast. As I mentioned before, probably in my top 3 junior teams I've ever seen.

If people are judging Provorov solely on this tournament, it's a damn shame. Junior aged kids are prone to ups and downs. Even if Brandon brings their 'A' game against the Knights if they met again, they are still no match for them. The scoresheet would likely be much closer though.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia

I have seen this said a few times about Erie beating London. What you have to remember I'd when you play a team multiple times thru a season and see them play much more, you become better prepared. Brandon has not played a team like London this year. And they certainly were overwhelmed. But if they were to play a 7 games series, the gasp would certainly close, but London would still win as they are the better team.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
-4 and 2 points in the tournament..

He was his usual brilliant smart self tonight, albeit a touch more conservative offensively (after last game where the team forgot to play defense, surprise surprise!). He was named 3rd star in game 1. His team scored 5 goals to 16 against this round robin. He had 1 off game against a superior London team that curb stomped them...and he was still one of the hardest working, best Wheaties in that game.

Seppuku seems the only option here tbh. :sarcasm:

Last edited:

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
He had 1 bad game against the best team in the country. He had 2 points on 5 goals.

He was 3rd star in game 1 and was good again last night. But certain people will only remember the London game.

Oh well, off to the NHL next year Ivan. Philly awaits you.

HighOFFHockey

Co-Founder of The Flyers Nitty Gritty
Aug 24, 2008
Philadelphia
flyersnittygritty.com
He had 1 bad game against the best team in the country. He had 2 points on 5 goals.

He was 3rd star in game 1 and was good again last night. But certain people will only remember the London game.

Oh well, off to the NHL next year Ivan. Philly awaits you.

Honestly, do you really care what people are saying at this point? We know what we have, anyone who jumps up after one game should just take a seat and wait. I'm so excited for this Kid to join the Flyers.

Ohashi_Jouzu*

Apr 2, 2007
Halifax
-4 and 2 points in the tournament..

And the top three scorers on the team for both regular season and playoffs (Hawryluk, Patrick, Quenneville) contributed a combined -8 and 3 points between them... maybe they simply faced their toughest competition at the toughest stage of the year, and maybe that 3 game sample means relatively little in terms of all the other underlying data/observation behind any future projections?

"Maybe".

AtlasRust

Jan 16, 2011
Just named the CHL Defenseman of the year.

Can't wait til he's in the orange and black.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad