LD Ivan Provorov - Brandon Wheat Kings, WHL (2015, 7th, PHI)

Status
Not open for further replies.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL

Ivan Provorov, D
Brandon Wheat Kings, WHL
6'0" - 200lbs
Stats - http://www.whl.ca/roster/bio/181596

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/sp...an-d-man-good-fit-for-wheaties-273358931.html

Surprised he hasn't had a thread yet for him. 22 points in 20 games, even though he plays on a really good team, still impressive. Been climbing a lot of WHL followers list, and some scouting services are starting to consider him a 1st round defensmen. Personally I haven't see him play a lot thus far, but he is a good skating defensemen which has good intelligence at finding the open ice. Even though he is just 6'0", he is still 200lbs and can play a physical game. Uniquely enough, he has been one of the cult Russians to move and play majority of his hockey in North America. In terms of playing style, personally speaking he reminds me of John Carlson. But I've seen people say he plays a similar game like his country mate, Zadorov (not as physically dominating though). Opinions?

Ace88*

Was wondering when this thread was made. Hes one of my favourite spects in this draft, i have him currently at 16 but if he keeps up his current level of play he'll be up there challenging werenski and kylington for 3rd* D taken.

Last edited by a moderator:

The Iron Goalie

Formally 'OEL for Norris'
Feb 8, 2012
Langley, BC
Was wondering when this thread was made. Hes one of my favourite spects in this draft, i have him currently at 16 but if he keeps up his current level of play he'll be up there challenging werenski and kylington for 2nd D taken.

Agreed. I currently have him 12th love the way he plays.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Like him a lot. Lots of good D-men available in the first round this year.

herbst20

Jul 8, 2011
The kid is a flat out stud. I watched him all last year in Cedar Rapids. He literally has all the tools to be a great defenseman. Yes he is only 6'0 195 but the kid is as gritty as it gets. He laid some of the most punishing checks in the USHL last year as a 16 year old. He played both Defense and Forward coming up in the AAA level and it shows in his game. He saw top PP and PK minutes last year before heading off to the CHL like most expected.

I said all last year that he reminds me of a grittier Duncan Keith.

Ace88*

^^ He may be 6'1 but he has such a low, solid centre of gravity. He hits like a truck and is so damn strong on his skates which makes him a beast on the boards. Competition has trouble beating him in battles and knocking him off the puck.

I just cant say enough good things about this kid. He has as complete a game as any defense prospect.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Finally had the chance to catch him live earlier this week and came away very impressed. Lived up to the expectations I had after hearing lots about him from others who had seen him.

Plays a pro style game. Skates well, passes hard, very keen sense of where to be, can defend physically or positionally, good shot. Just a very well rounded and versatile player. I think he's a legit top 20 guy and someone who is probably closer to NHL ready than many of the others in this class.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Much like Niklas Kronwall in that he plays a much 'bigger' game than his listed size because he's so sturdy and strong on his skates with a powerful low centre of mass. And looks to have a Kronwall-esque skill level as well. Was a standout on the Russia-WHL games despite being the only '97 on a '95-laden team.

If he was Canadian I'd say that he's trending toward being a top-10 pick and being the highest WHL player selected. Since he's Russian, who knows, but he's a major two-way talent who will surely go in the first round at worst.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Much like Niklas Kronwall in that he plays a much 'bigger' game than his listed size because he's so sturdy and strong on his skates with a powerful low centre of mass. And looks to have a Kronwall-esque skill level as well. Was a standout on the Russia-WHL games despite being the only '97 on a '95-laden team.

If he was Canadian I'd say that he's trending toward being a top-10 pick and being the highest WHL player selected. Since he's Russian, who knows, but he's a major two-way talent who will surely go in the first round at worst.

He has played majority of his youth and junior hockey North America though. Yes he plays for Russia internationally, but moving as a 14 year old to Pennsylvania requires a lot of character, especially since Russians are not normally great at English and culture is probably different from the Motherland. Personally I don't think there will be a huge worry compared to a player drafted out of Russia.

Ace88*

Much like Barbashev last year, there is zero "russian factor" risk with Provorov. If teams are passing on him because he's Russian, well, they are foolish.

Last edited by a moderator:

OlWpgJet

Oct 27, 2002
Visit site
On a very strong Wheat Kings club, he is arguably the best defenceman as a 17 year old. Ryan Pilon would be right there too, another 17 year old. Provorov is a better offensive puck moving skating dman than Pilon and Pilon is pretty good offensively as well. They both play a pretty rounded game. Albeit, I am a wheat king fan, I can see Provorov cracking top 10, Pilon cracking top 20 as well as Jesse Gabrielle giving the top 20 a strong run. Strong draft this year so you never know but 3 to keep an eye on.

Ace88*

Gotta think it'll help him that he speaks really good English. You could confuse him for a Canadian or American kid pretty easily.

He is part of a program where canadian homes take in foreign prospects. From what ive seen hes in a really good place and i think it displays on the ice and in his play. He plays with a cool confidence you dont often see in russian prospects if im honest.

He had a great tournament but not the best gold medal game, but you can hardly blame the loss on him. He did his part in orchestrating the comeback.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Anyone notice he always has two hands on his stick? I've seen him play about 10 times this year and its something that has always stood out to me. Not saying its wrong, but just seems odd for a shorter defenseman. Maybe it would be beneficial to go with one hand on the stick to create a little extra reach once in a while. Also when he's carrying the puck up the ice to get a little extra speed.

Beaunett

Dec 29, 2014
North
SPORTSNET will broadcast their game against Calgary this afternoon. It's a good chance to look at Provorov, Pilon, and Clague.

Ryp37

Nov 6, 2011
Love this kids game very well rounded for his age would be ecstatic if he fell to Van

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->