Prospect Info: LD Fedor Gordeev, Guelph Storm (OHL)

NJ Fan 12

Jun 23, 2020
Trying to get a read on this one. Former Maple Leaf pick was not going to be signed and would have re-entered last year's draft had the Wild not traded for him and signed him.

Former Toronto GM drafted a bunch of bigger defensemen but most were never signed - moving onto other organizations or in some cases USport Canada college hockey.

Is Gordeev an example of a player not likely to reach the NHL or did the current Toronto regime give away a player with potential due to the change in philosophy?

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
From all I've seen from him (from afar) he has a really good skill level, but has struggled to put up the number of points that his size an skill combination would imply he could. I can't help but wonder if maybe he just doesn't have enough hockey sense. I personally view him as a sort of dark horse to be an NHL player, but I haven't ever been able to view him regularly, so these are just my speculations based on the very little that I have viewed him.

I wouldn't worry about the Leafs having given him away. He's been a bit of a question mark for a long time, now, and eventually hard decisions have to be made about some of those players when you're running out of available contracts to hand out. The Islanders giving Spurgeon away was a far more egregious example, and even that one was one I'd argue they couldn't really be blamed for because there was no way of foreseeing just how good the guy would become.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad