LD Evan Nause - Québec Remparts, QMJHL (2021, 56th, FLA)

Wintersun

Jan 15, 2013
Montreal
To me, he was the best player available for the QMJHL draft last year. Just a stunningly skilled defenseman with unlimited upside. Didn't really like his U17 this year however.

The way he's been in the USHL this year, it looks like he really was better than Whynot and Plandowski.

Reactions: IHaveNoCreativity

Gravity

Generational Poster
Feb 27, 2017
In a Barred Spiral
To me, he was the best player available for the QMJHL draft last year. Just a stunningly skilled defenseman with unlimited upside. Didn't really like his U17 this year however.

The way he's been in the USHL this year, it looks like he really was better than Whynot and Plandowski.

Is it safe to say that he's nauseatingly good? :sarcasm:

Sens72

Football Enthusiast
Aug 31, 2018
Canada
There is strong rumours of him returning to the QMJHL. Val-d’Or forfeited his rights for a compensation pick so he is eligible for the draft tonight.

tealhockey

@overtheboards
Jun 2, 2012
www.tealhockey.net
Wait what? He got drafted in the 1st round twice?
Not sure exactly how it works but if you take a guy high (first round) and he doesn't report then you can get a first round pick back for the following year, if I recall correctly. Then the player re-enters the draft as well. Happened with Evan Nause and Guillaume Richard (I think) this year. Both really solid prospects with some 2021 nhl draft appeal

Breakfast of Champs

Apr 15, 2007
Not sure exactly how it works but if you take a guy high (first round) and he doesn't report then you can get a first round pick back for the following year, if I recall correctly. Then the player re-enters the draft as well. Happened with Evan Nause and Guillaume Richard (I think) this year. Both really solid prospects with some 2021 nhl draft appeal

Lots of players have gone back in the draft as 17 year olds, but this is the first time I can recall someone going so high in back to back years. Richard is eligible but he was not picked in the 1st round. He will likely be picked tomorrow by someone.

edit - as for compensation, Victo and VD were given the same picks they had last year in the 1st round, hence there being 20 picks in the 1st round of an 18 team league.

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
Lots of players have gone back in the draft as 17 year olds, but this is the first time I can recall someone going so high in back to back years. Richard is eligible but he was not picked in the 1st round. He will likely be picked tomorrow by someone.

edit - as for compensation, Victo and VD were given the same picks they had last year in the 1st round, hence there being 20 picks in the 1st round of an 18 team league.

To be fair, Evan Nause is a legit top-end prospect and VD simply decided to take the compensatory draft pick for letting him back into the draft, instead of just trading him. So, even if a year older than the other prospects, Nause is still a top prospect and as a 17 years old is ready to step in and play right away. Honestly, he will likely be Quebec's #1 defenseman as soon as this season

Reactions: Newfoundland

Breakfast of Champs

Apr 15, 2007
To be fair, Evan Nause is a legit top-end prospect and VD simply decided to take the compensatory draft pick for letting him back into the draft, instead of just trading him. So, even if a year older than the other prospects, Nause is still a top prospect and as a 17 years old is ready to step in and play right away. Honestly, he will likely be Quebec's #1 defenseman as soon as this season

oh definitely, and Quebec definitely had a commitment from him - its just a very rare scenario tp be taken top 10 two years in a row

Reactions: NA Scouting

SergeConstantin74

Always right.
Jul 7, 2007
pretty odd for sure. any idea the last time it happened, 1st round in 2 straight years?

The compensation pick for a player that doesn't report was created in 2006. Usually players that don't report get traded if they really want to play in the league so they don't enter the Draft the year after. I think before Nause the earliest a player was taken twice early in the Draft was Shane Bowers. He was taken 4th overall in 2015 by Cape Breton and 32nd overall (2nd round) in 2016 by Saint John.

wein

Jul 2, 2013
The compensation pick for a player that doesn't report was created in 2006. Usually players that don't report get traded if they really want to play in the league so they don't enter the Draft the year after. I think before Nause the earliest a player was taken twice early in the Draft was Shane Bowers. He was taken 4th overall in 2015 by Cape Breton and 32nd overall (2nd round) in 2016 by Saint John.

I think you’re right that Bowers was the second highest two time drafted player.

Michael O’Leary was drafted first and third round in 2014 and 2015 respectively. Funnily enough, it was Cape Breton that drafted both Bowers and O’Leary in the first round and in back to back years no less.

Breakfast of Champs

Apr 15, 2007
I think you’re right that Bowers was the second highest two time drafted player.

Michael O’Leary was drafted first and third round in 2014 and 2015 respectively. Funnily enough, it was Cape Breton that drafted both Bowers and O’Leary in the first round and in back to back years no less.

Yup and it was the 3rd year in a row one of their 1st round picks did not report (Roy, O'Leary, Bowers)

FrankGallagher

Oct 6, 2015
Scouts are going to love this guy. High IQ, strong skater, size and bite. Really complete package two-way defenceman. Stood out at the u17s as one of Canada's captains and has looked great in the Q so far. Think he will be a top 20 pick in the draft.

Reactions: Haanz

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad