LD Donovan Sebrango - Kitchener Rangers, OHL (2020, 63rd, DET, traded to OTT)

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
59th in Central Scouting's final rankings.

What separates him from some of the other draft-eligible OHL D this year?

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
A second-round pick, 40th overall, by the Kitchener Rangers in the 2018 OHL Priority Selection Draft defenceman Donovan Sebrango has had two strong seasons in the league. Sebrango slipped a bit as teams were concerned that he was committed to attending Boston University. The Rangers convinced him to go the OHL route and Sebrango put up seven goals and 19 assists for 26 points in 62 games as a 16-year-old rookie. He improved this season, putting up six goals and 24 assists for 30 points in 54 games before the season was cancelled. Sebrango also played for Team Red at the 2020 CHL Top Prospects Game in Hamilton. He got into a fight with Windsor Spitfires forward Will Cuylle.

Sebrango has also represented Canada on the international stage. In five games at last summer’s Hlinka-Gretzky Cup, he picked up two assists. Sebrango helped the team to a silver medal. The Kingston, Ontario native also played for Team Canada Black at the 2018 Under-17 World Hockey Challenge, scoring two assists in five games. Prior to coming to the OHL, Sebrango attended the Canadian International Hockey Academy, a prep school located just east of Ottawa.

Our Scouting Report is here
Donovan Sebrango Scouting Report: 2020 NHL Draft #80

Mar 12, 2009
Good pick, really wanted him at 59 or 64. Good skater, really competitive, likes to throw big hits when he can and he will drop the gloves. Good puck mover, and I think there might be some offensive potential that hasn't been fully tapped into yet.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
I've been working a tonne lately and havent had a chance to watch th Canada scrimmages. Anyone have some insight to how he has looked? I'm probably gonna watch them tonight or tomorrow but I'm interested in what others think of him... definitely wont make the team this year but I think he coudl be a solid PK/shutdown guy for the team next year for sure

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Probably won't make the team, but has been quietly good, or at least decent. Similar to Hunt. He will have a good chance to make the team next year.

Reactions: newfy

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Probably won't make the team, but has been quietly good, or at least decent. Similar to Hunt. He will have a good chance to make the team next year.

Itll be interesting to see what happens. Their team next year could just end up being a bunch of bullies to be honest. They could end up with Power, O'rourke, Schenider, Guhle and Sebrango all on the rosterwhich would be scary for other junior teams (although Schneider might not be eligible actually).

But a lot of similar style players could hurt Sebrangos chances

Tetsuo

Boss of a Pile of Rubble
Apr 11, 2018
Michigan
By all accounts, he's had a great season. He's not a game-breaking talent but is a serious work horse.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Hes a pretty quick riser in Detroits prospects rankings. Playing solid minutes in the AHL now. I kinda hope the OHL doesnt start so he can play there all season.

Seems like a really tough kid already asserting himself physically out there too

Mar 12, 2009
Looks like He'll play the whole season in GR.

Is he going to be required to play next year in the OHL? He'll only be 19 until mid January 2022.
Unless they change the CHL-NHL transfer agreement, yes. I don't think i would hurt him to bad, I think there's a chance that their is some untapped offensive potential that he'd have a great chance to work on leading the way and PPing the QB in Kitchener.

BigHitter67

Feb 6, 2014
Unless they change the CHL-NHL transfer agreement, yes. I don't think i would hurt him to bad, I think there's a chance that their is some untapped offensive potential that he'd have a great chance to work on leading the way and PPing the QB in Kitchener.

This! No rush. Refine the offensive game !

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Looks like He'll play the whole season in GR.

Is he going to be required to play next year in the OHL? He'll only be 19 until mid January 2022.

Yesh and I hope he does. Hes been awesome, playing top 4 and PK in Grand Rapids this year but the OHL is a spot for him to work on his offense. The OHL should be pretty easy for him after this year and how hes played so he can focus big time on his offense.

Seeing him in pro hockey like he is already makes me wonder how he fell so far in the draft

Reactions: The Zetterberg Era

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
1688957316543.png

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->