LD Dmitri Samorukov (2017, 84th, EDM, traded to STL)

RoyalCitySlicker

Sep 6, 2013
Didn't see a thread previously on him, but if I have missed it, this can be deleted.

Anyone have any info on this player? He was selected by my hometown Guelph Storm #2 overall in the Import Draft.

GM is confident he will come over, but nothing is ever written in stone in the Import Draft ;)

Opinions on him seem to be pretty wide-ranging, possibly due to limited viewings.

Would love to know what to expect, how highly regarded he is in scouting circles, and also if we in Guelph should expect to see him in the fall.

Thanks.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Birthplace: Volgograd, Russia

He played all his relevant hockey in Moscow (U16, U17, MHL)

He referes to misspelling his name. There is no russian name Dimitry, only Dmitry.

Last edited:

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Didn't see a thread previously on him, but if I have missed it, this can be deleted.

Anyone have any info on this player? He was selected by my hometown Guelph Storm #2 overall in the Import Draft.

GM is confident he will come over, but nothing is ever written in stone in the Import Draft ;)

Opinions on him seem to be pretty wide-ranging, possibly due to limited viewings.

Would love to know what to expect, how highly regarded he is in scouting circles, and also if we in Guelph should expect to see him in the fall.

Thanks.

No offence, but I don't see how the CHL is a good option for him at this point in time. His high draft position is obviously due to his U18 showing where he was outplaying Sergachyov for all but the last game when Sergachyov finally remebered he is viewed as a top D-man on the roster. How much is one short tournament showing worth at this age? Time will tell.

RoyalCitySlicker

Sep 6, 2013
No offence, but I don't see how the CHL is a good option for him at this point in time. His high draft position is obviously due to his U18 showing where he was outplaying Sergachyov for all but the last game when Sergachyov finally remebered he is viewed as a top D-man on the roster. How much is one short tournament showing worth at this age? Time will tell.

General Manager in Guelph (OHL) seems to think he'll sign, but I guess I wouldn't expect him to say any different. Usually with these picks there is an understanding that something is likely to get agreed upon, but who knows. Time will tell.

Why do you think CHL isn't a good option for him? Not good enough? Too much of a change (larger schedule, coming to Canada, language barrier)?

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
Anybody willing to talk about this guy's game? I'm always fascinated by Russian prospects because I find them woefully underscouted and valued.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Watched him today in the Hlinka Memorial game against Sweden. Thought he was the best d-man for team Russia, maybe with some competition from Rubinchik. He's grown, he's up to 6'2 now and looks big out there compared to his peers. In this game he was composed and calm with the puck, capable of good passes and he showed some nice offensive game with a couple of dangerous shots on goal that could (and probably should've) led to an assist or two. I was impressed and I can see why he's rated as a 1st rounder by some. Looks very promising. I'll keep a close eye on him the rest of the tournament.

RoyalCitySlicker

Sep 6, 2013
Thanks for the update/info! Sounds like he was impressive.

When he was selected in the import draft, it was noted by both scouts and the team that he was actually quite larger than the height/weight listed from last year.

Still no word on his status for next year as far as I know...anyone else know anything different/?

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
My prediction.

Samorukov will go top 10 in the 2017 draft.

He's really good already, and he seems to be improving.

That's my feeling as well. He seems to have all the tools to be a great defenseman. Will be interesting to follow him this year.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Hehe, they were saying the same things about Sokolov, before he moved to NA...

Saying what? I think Sergachyov is a pretty good comparable. Like Samorukov he were considered a high-end defenseman last summer and the early lists had him in their top30. After coming over to NA he did nothing but boost his stock and eventually ended up being selected 9th overall. I don't see why the same can't happen to Samorukov.

The players themselves have a big responsibility of trying to adapt to NA. Sergachyov worked really hard to learn the english language and to integrate himself. I think that's a big part of his success. I don't know what Dmitris attitude is like but if it's anything like Mikhails he'll do just fine I think.

RoyalCitySlicker

Sep 6, 2013
Saying what? I think Sergachyov is a pretty good comparable. Like Samorukov he were considered a high-end defenseman last summer and the early lists had him in their top30. After coming over to NA he did nothing but boost his stock and eventually ended up being selected 9th overall. I don't see why the same can't happen to Samorukov.

The players themselves have a big responsibility of trying to adapt to NA. Sergachyov worked really hard to learn the english language and to integrate himself. I think that's a big part of his success. I don't know what Dmitris attitude is like but if it's anything like Mikhails he'll do just fine I think.

All I know is what I have read and or heard...

So far, he's impressed at the Hlinka.

He's also shown to be quite a bit larger than he was listed pre-Import Draft - also a good thing, especially when so little was known about him.

I don't know about a top-10 pick, but certainly he looks to be trending in the right direction.

He and Ryan Merkley could be the blocks of a darn good defense corps for the next couple of years. Very exciting!

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
decent start to his draft year with 2A in 4 games. HP has him at #11 in the new rankings
He's intriguing. In my only viewing of Guelph (on TV) I found myself focused more on Merkley though. That kid while small seems very dynamic in his skating. Samorukov clearly one of the D to watch in the OHL this year though, along with Hague and Paquette.

Also, the title of this thread should be updated.

enj92

Oct 2, 2015
Ufa
He's intriguing. In my only viewing of Guelph (on TV) I found myself focused more on Merkley though. That kid while small seems very dynamic in his skating. Samorukov clearly one of the D to watch in the OHL this year though, along with Hague and Paquette.

Also, the title of this thread should be updated.

Is that statement about Merkley? Because according to eliteprospects, Samorukov is about 6'2, but somewhat skinny for sure. He needs to bulk up throughout this season.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Is that statement about Merkley? Because according to eliteprospects, Samorukov is about 6'2, but somewhat skinny for sure. He needs to bulk up throughout this season.
About Merkley. Samorukov is noticeably bigger, and they play on the same pairing. Merkley looks like a 16 year old out there, but has quite dynamic skills. I was trying to watch both, but with Merkley being a local kid and the 1OA in the OHL draft I was obviously very interested to see how he does.

Guelph isn't a great team, but these two kids give this casual OHL viewer a lot of reason to watch them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad