LD Denton Mateychuk - Moose Jaw Warriors, WHL (2022, 12th, CBJ)

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan
Liked what I saw from him in his few games last year and was really impressive in his 1st game this year in the bubble, reminds me of Ty Smith/Jake Bean their draft-1 year. Mateychuk is a really good puck moving dman who is already an elite skater and loves to jump up into the play to create offense. His skating allows him to be aggressive as he can get back to cover for himself if the puck goes the other way. Has good size already at 5'11 192 and comes from an athletic family. Isn't afraid of contact and will take a hit to make a play while throwing the odd hit himself. Already on the top pairing with Hunt and getting 2nd PP unit time so he'll have a big role at a young age which is rare in the WHL. Look forward to seeing how he develops over the coming years.

https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/570931/denton-mateychuk

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Are there only really 4 posts in this thread? Wow. I am a big fan of this kid, I think he is one of the most underrated players in this draft and he has a lot of room to grow.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Absolutely elite skater. I'd expect he'd push toward the top 10 of this draft if he maintains his level of play in the second half of the season.

Also comes across as a mature, well-spoken kid who I expect will do well in the interview process, combine, etc.

Can see a lot of Miro Heiskanen in his play.

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
Absolutely elite skater. I'd expect he'd push toward the top 10 of this draft if he maintains his level of play in the second half of the season.

Also comes across as a mature, well-spoken kid who I expect will do well in the interview process, combine, etc.

Can see a lot of Miro Heiskanen in his play.
Not sure if he will break into the top-10, but I’ve seen a consensus beginning to form in many lists that place him firmly in the top 10-20 range.

Reactions: d rake

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Not sure if he will break into the top-10, but I’ve seen a consensus beginning to form in many lists that place him firmly in the top 10-20 range.

Eliteprospects has his consolidated ranking at #16 and I'd expect that to move up.

I don't know if he'll move into the top 10 but I wouldn't be surprised at all.

Elite skaters tend to be upward movers plus as I said before this is a player I think will interview well.

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
Really? A lot of reputable sources out there seem to be putting him in the 20's. Both TSN lists had him at 29 and hockey prospect doesn't even have him in their first round. I'm honestly amazed at how many scouting services out there don't seem high on him when his skillset and toolbox are this high-end.

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
Really? A lot of reputable sources out there seem to be putting him in the 20's. Both TSN lists had him at 29 and hockey prospect doesn't even have him in their first round. I'm honestly amazed at how many scouting services out there don't seem high on him when his skillset and toolbox are this high-end.
Emphasis on “beginning to form.” :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad