LD Danila Galenyuk - HC Sochi, KHL (2018 undrafted)

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Another 2 point game for him. He's 1+7 after 31 games. More, than Romanov and Zhuravlyov. This WJC Team Russia is going to have three solid KHL regulars on the blue line. As far as I remember, the first time ever. Add to them Askarov and Miftakhov, and you get a very interesting defensive wise team.

Of course, it usually doesn't work at the tournament.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Do you think he get drafted for sure now?

I would think he gets picked at some point as he's put up some numbers in the KHL.

I think he goes as far as how he compares to a guy like Gavrikov. Gavrikov played a similar physical but simple defensive game, but still has enough offensively to be a modern day NHLer. Based on what he has become for Columbus this year despite being a 6th round pick, teams would love that kind of action.

If he gets selected, it is likely quite late. His upside is likely a borderline #4, but most likely is nothing more than a solid bottom pairing guy.

It's really tough with guys like him and Daniil Pylenkov. They are projects and it's NHL or nothing for them, but given they are full time KHLers at 19/20 (as defensemen no less) and teams have the benefit of the KHL non-transfer rule to let them develop, what do you do with them. Teams draft much worse Russian prospects every year.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Hard to really say who or why is so high on him in the SKA/Russian NT system. 7th D on the Russian WJC team a year ago.

Sure he isn't the only underserved/questionable pick but by far the biggest one.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
He was 5th-6th at the WJC though, 7th was Malyshev.
Fair enough, still the point stands.

Edit: actually upon checking one could make the point he was 4th-5th but in any case, hardly the guy deserving promotions he's getting.

Last edited:

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Not sure if he is the most questionable guy on the D, not to mention the whole roster, I mean, there are guys like Yudin and Minulin. Still I'd rather prefer to see Pylenkov, for example, although I must admit Galenyuk has been solid recently too.
Yudin and Minulin have at least played tough minutes at some point this season... The latter is right-handed too so that's a small additional benefit. Galenyuk is just flat out "but why?" kind of pick. It's not like Bragin wants to take a closer look at him either, he sees him every single bloody day.

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
Yudin and Minulin have at least played tough minutes at some point this season... The latter is right-handed too so that's a small additional benefit. Galenyuk is just flat out "but why?" kind of pick. It's not like Bragin wants to take a closer look at him either, he sees him every single bloody day.

Can't say I always follow who exactly is opposing Galenyuk in the KHL when he is on the ice, but at least in recent month or so I didn't have an impression that his minutes were "easier" than of his teammates. As for "but why?", when it comes to younger players I usually prefer "but why not?", although again, I'd probably prefer Pylenkov or Zhuravlyov, but I mean that at least that's not Tokranov or someone like that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad