LD Danila Galenyuk - HC Sochi, KHL (2018 undrafted)

Tryamkin

May 18, 2015
Canada
Surprised he doesn’t have a thread yet, one of my sleepers this year. He’s already at 61 on my list.

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
I liked Russia's defence in the WJAC. Big, mobile D with good hockey sense. A solid '00 crop, but my favourites were Galenyuk, Okhotyuk, and Zhuravlyov.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I liked Russia's defence in the WJAC. Big, mobile D with good hockey sense. A solid '00 crop, but my favourites were Galenyuk, Okhotyuk, and Zhuravlyov.

Okhotyuk is a 2019 draft eligible, but all three should have a decent chance at being early round picks.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
He's starting to play more for SKA recently. He's played more than 10 minutes 7 out of the last 8 games. I was surprised he wasn't drafted the last two drafts, but you would have to think that playing a regular role for SKA would get him drafted this year. Thats nothing to overlook. Being able to play a regular role for SKA at age 19 is impressive.

bagsw

Apr 17, 2016
Saint Petersburg, Russia
He's starting to play more for SKA recently. He's played more than 10 minutes 7 out of the last 8 games. I was surprised he wasn't drafted the last two drafts, but you would have to think that playing a regular role for SKA would get him drafted this year. Thats nothing to overlook. Being able to play a regular role for SKA at age 19 is impressive.
This year SKA is not that scary monster from last seasons and it is easier for young guys there.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
He is also legitimately a decent contributor, not just a guy they want to feed him minutes to. I'm quite surprised, he had a pretty meh season last year in the VHL, huge leap to where he is now.

Regarding SKA not being the scary monster, their defense really didn't get any weaker compared to years before but he definitely benefits from the fact almost all of it are righties now.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
In theory, I agree, but why don't Podkolzin, Morozov and Marchenko receive more minutes then?
Because they still have a shitload of players just their top-end guys are worse. As is coaching but that's another story. They traded Nalimov, Tikhonov and Li without getting bodies in return and they are still on 3 goalies, 11 Ds over 24 years old or more and 15 forwards over 23. They have 29 player roster without the young guys. The difference is their top guys aren't Gavrikov, Shestyorkin and Gusev anymore.

Podkolzin just turned 18 so whatever, the real issue is guys like Kuzmenko or Dergachyov not playing at all.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Because they still have a ****load of players just their top-end guys are worse. As is coaching but that's another story. They traded Nalimov, Tikhonov and Li without getting bodies in return and they are still on 3 goalies, 11 Ds over 24 years old or more and 15 forwards over 23. They have 29 player roster without the young guys. The difference is their top guys aren't Gavrikov, Shestyorkin and Gusev anymore.

Podkolzin just turned 18 so whatever, the real issue is guys like Kuzmenko or Dergachyov not playing at all.

I still don't see how it's much easier for younger players to get minutes. As you pointed out, they still have a lot of good KHL players. These younger players are competing for some lower roles, not to replace the biggest roles in the team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad