LD Caleb Jones - Portland Winterhawks, WHL (2015, 117th, EDM)

walktheboulavard

Jul 8, 2016
Stat line looks good, but that +/- is worst on his team. From what I was able to read, defensively he has been hit or miss this season. We will see, but maybe he tries to push offense too much this year?

Not overly concerned with the +/-, many factors go into determining that stat.

sandhu111

Mar 17, 2008
Edmonton, AB
Heard an interview and his coach was just raving about his 2way abilities comparing him to his brother.
Got named to the preliminary roster for US

seems like he's tracking well this year could be a big year for him

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
25 points in 28 games. 5th on team in scoring

Interesting if him and McAvoy are paired up again

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Been a fan of this kid since the U18 worlds just prior to being drafted. His development is on point with that of a much higher pick. Love that he went to Portland. Now he is looking great in the WJC too. Definitely see an NHLer there. You can just see it with some guys in this tournament, guys that have that extra maturity in their game that you know will translate to the NHL. Jones is one of those guys. Wonder if he'll get a cup of coffee in the NHL already next year. Wouldn't surprise me, even if the competition is pretty tough on the left side on the Oilers these days, but if we lose Davidson in expansion, having Jones waiting in the wings eases that loss quite a bit. Caleb might be the best Oilers prospect not currently in the NHL.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Didnt show all the well offensively in the WJC but I wonder if thats because of usage. He was playing 2nd most minutes on the blueline (most in finals). He really stayed back on the rush so I wonder if coaches got him to play as the shutdown/reliable defensive D to allow other D to roam offensively. While it kinda sucks he didnt put up big numbers offensively its very good knowing he can be such a good defensive D. In the WHL he is putting up near PPG and some crazy good offensive numbers. He did so last year as well. One of the concerns was if he was more of a pure one dimensional offensive D who was sub par defensively

Good to see he can be great defensively when needed and produce great offensively when needed in other situations. If he can pu both those things together he can be a hell of an NHL D. Hes got all the tools and the great play is happening

walktheboulavard

Jul 8, 2016
Didnt show all the well offensively in the WJC but I wonder if thats because of usage. He was playing 2nd most minutes on the blueline (most in finals). He really stayed back on the rush so I wonder if coaches got him to play as the shutdown/reliable defensive D to allow other D to roam offensively. While it kinda sucks he didnt put up big numbers offensively its very good knowing he can be such a good defensive D. In the WHL he is putting up near PPG and some crazy good offensive numbers. He did so last year as well. One of the concerns was if he was more of a pure one dimensional offensive D who was sub par defensively

Good to see he can be great defensively when needed and produce great offensively when needed in other situations. If he can pu both those things together he can be a hell of an NHL D. Hes got all the tools and the great play is happening

I actually think he is the best offensive player out of the top 4. And, you're not off in your thinking that he was asked to play the reliable defensive d role. Think about it who other than McAvoy had the tools and talent on that American blue line? Even though he is only 6'1 he was one of the bigger guys on their blueline as well. I'm pretty sure the Oilers are going to allow his offensive game to flourish we have enough big defensive dmen to play that role. Going to be exciting to watch this kid develop his game further in bakersfield.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Wouldn't worry about his production at all he didn't play any PP from what I can recall in the tournament, and he dialled back his willingness to join the rush as the tournament wore on (he was quite active earlier in the tournament). It was quite obvious he was playing a heavy defensive role with heavy minutes and needed to conserve his skating legs to defend off the rush (which is quite prevalent in this tournament).

Hynh

Jun 19, 2012
What do you guys think his time frame is?

Barring a trade or a bad run of injuries, I think the biggest hurdle for him will be the fact that the Oilers finally have multiple actual NHL defencemen on their roster. I won't bore you with nitty gritty of my projection but basically the left side of the 3rd pairing should be his to lose in 2019-20. We'll know more in July after the expansion draft/entry draft/free agency and then again after training camp.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
What do you guys think his time frame is?

I think potentially he could be a regular (or at least play a significant amount of games in the NHL) in the 2018-19 season and possibly even get a few games in next year, depending on injuries etc. Still, he's facing a lot of competition for a spot on the roster and he definitely could use a year or two in the AHL, so there's no rush.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
What awful defense. Even after he got by him, he didn't bother to try and get back into the play. Hopefully he was benched for that effort.

Good on Caleb though.

Hynh

Jun 19, 2012
What awful defense. Even after he got by him, he didn't bother to try and get back into the play. Hopefully he was benched for that effort.

Good on Caleb though.

Bear was already closer and had momentum, no point in over backchecking and letting a trailer pick up a rebound.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad