LD Bowen Byram - Vancouver Giants, WHL (2019, 4th, COL)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
Every time I've watched him this year he's completely controlled the game and is the most complete D prospect since Doughty imo. There's nothing he's not elite at or willing to do
His one-on-one defending is really really impressive this year, don’t you find? Great strong stick work, and if by some miracle you get by it, he’s on you physically in a second with his amazing skating of which his agility is IMO the most impressive aspect.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
Every time I've watched him this year he's completely controlled the game and is the most complete D prospect since Doughty imo. There's nothing he's not elite at or willing to do

And he seems to be getting better every game. 2+1 last night with 7 SOG. Great time to be a Giants STH

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan
His one-on-one defending is really really impressive this year, don’t you find? Great strong stick work, and if by some miracle you get by it, he’s on you physically in a second with his amazing skating of which his agility is IMO the most impressive aspect.
Yeah he has really good gaps for the most part and the odd time he loses position wide he can just turn and recover. Makes opponents pay for every inch too with how hard he hits and how aggressive he plays. The biggest improvement in his game so far this year is how well he walks the line to find lanes to get the puck on net from high danger areas. I suspect his assist totals will keep improving in ppg. He should be credited with at least 1 more than he has

Reactions: GrittyHawkDown

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Any Giant fans or people who have followed him comment on his play thus far?
He's a Morgan Rielly clone for me. Definitely won't be better offencively since Morgan has been brilliant this season, but plays the game almost the same way. Fantastic skater, superb transition game, good sense of vision, and can carry the puck up the ice. He's going to be limited physically, but considering where the NHL game is going it won't hurt him too much.

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan
He won't be limited physically at all and plays a very physical and aggressive game.

Does a great job moving the puck with both break out passes and rushing it up ice. Has a really good shot and does a great job finding lanes to get the puck on net. Has great gaps and uses his stick well to block passing lanes and deflect shots out of play. Great positioning in his own zone, doesn't run around. Skating is great so he can afford to be aggressive pinching in. Enjoys when the game turns physical. To me he's easily the best dman in the draft and only one worth a top 10 pick. Style wise similar to Doughty.

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
One of the least talked about players in the draft despite possibly being the best dman in the draft. Reminds me somewhat of Dobson last year in the sense that he doesnt have one dynamic trait that stands out. Not a "sexy" player but just solid all around.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
We most likely won’t pick high enough but I’d
Kill for Byram-Dobson to be a future pair for the isles.

He’s a top5 pick and depending on draft position and team needs I can see him going #3

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Yeah he's hands down the best dman in the draft this year and only one worth a top 10 pick imo. Just elite at everything and think he'll go top 5. Reminds me a lot of Doughty

He reminds me more of Morrissey. Can play any style of game you want him too. Offensive, defensive. Can move and rush the puck. Great skater, good shooter, high IQ. And plays physical with an edge at times.

covfefe

Zoltan Poszar's Burner
Feb 5, 2014
He's a Morgan Rielly clone for me. Definitely won't be better offencively since Morgan has been brilliant this season, but plays the game almost the same way. Fantastic skater, superb transition game, good sense of vision, and can carry the puck up the ice. He's going to be limited physically, but considering where the NHL game is going it won't hurt him too much.

He is far more physical than Rielly ever was in his WHL days

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
He reminds me more of Morrissey. Can play any style of game you want him too. Offensive, defensive. Can move and rush the puck. Great skater, good shooter, high IQ. And plays physical with an edge at times.
Sounds like Doughty, too, put that way. Either way, a great comparison.

Intangir

Aug 14, 2008
Montreal, QC
Bowen Byram is by far the best defenseman in this year's draft in my opinion (and exactly the LHD the Montreal Canadiens' prospect pool needs, but won't get, also my favorite prospect in this year's draft). His gap control, stick check and defensive positioning are exquisite, to go along his strong skillset offensively, nice arsenal of shots, sky-high hockey IQ, good strength and size, and great overall skating ability. Put simply, Bowen is a well-rounded bluechip prospect and the team that gets him is damn lucky.

After all is said and done, I'd be shocked if Byram doesn't end up becoming a top-pairing defenseman in the NHL one day and as for top-end potential goes, the sky is the limit with this kid.

kroypuck

Mar 23, 2018
Don't think there is any elite defenseman in this draft, but Byram is definitely the best out of the group. I'd put him in the same tier as York and Soderstrom, but I think he'll be the first dman taken come June.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad