LD Bowen Byram - Vancouver Giants, WHL (2019, 4th, COL)

Status
Not open for further replies.

rambo97

Jan 2, 2018
Man the Hlinka is the first time I’ve watched this kid and he is damn impressive.

Looks like he’s go to be a great player. His skating, agility, elusiveness and hockey IQ are all top notch.

Great puck movement. Very good passer. Really looks good on the PP also.

Really don’t see a weakness so far

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
This guy will find himself in the top 3 next draft. You simply cant pass on a Dman like him. Top pairing Dman who dominates on both ends of the rink

Picture Vlasic w. Superior Offence.

Reactions: 99664987

rambo97

Jan 2, 2018
This guy will find himself in the top 3 next draft. You simply cant pass on a Dman like him. Top pairing Dman who dominates on both ends of the rink

Picture Vlasic w. Superior Offence.

Interesting comparison. I was thinking he reminded of D. Keith but honestly you are right. This kid looks like he’s gonna be a stud and top 3 pick. Elite offensively and defensively.

He’s fast and can think fast. Just totally controls the play when he’s out there

Reactions: flamebird

ginner classic

Dammit Jim!
Mar 4, 2002
Douglas Park
His straight ahead skating stride is nice and fluid but he seems a bit awkward skating backwards, his edges seem iffy, and he stops moving his feet to reach for pucks. Am I missing something? People describe him as a better skater than that.

Reactions: Michael Farkas

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I think the Hlinka put him on the map as a top D for sure. Great skater, smooth stickhandling, makes good decisions with the puck, not an amazing defender but good in his own zone. Really adept at finding open ice and making crisp passes. Gets shots through to players. Canada was tipping his shots left and right. Pretty likely to go top 10 at this point. Will battle with Honka, York and Broberg as top D in this draft I think. To me he is more complete them any of the other guys. They all do something better than he does it, but none of them do everything as good as him.

Dempsey

Mark it zero
Mar 1, 2002
Ladner, BC
Was a man against boys at the Giants' training camp scrimmage yesterday, which is to be expected. At times it was like he was playing keep away and doing whatever he wanted.

Reactions: Filthy Dangles

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
I think the Hlinka put him on the map as a top D for sure. Great skater, smooth stickhandling, makes good decisions with the puck, not an amazing defender but good in his own zone. Really adept at finding open ice and making crisp passes. Gets shots through to players. Canada was tipping his shots left and right. Pretty likely to go top 10 at this point. Will battle with Honka, York and Broberg as top D in this draft I think. To me he is more complete them any of the other guys. They all do something better than he does it, but none of them do everything as good as him.

I get a very heavy Dobson vibe from Byram. Well rounded skillset coupled with high end hockey IQ. Could be an all situations minute muncher LD, skewing a little more offensively inclined than defensively capable.

I think the Isles need a #2C in the worst way and more talent at center in general, but if Byram is indeed a stud... then I could live with passing on one of the centers in this draft class and drafting him.

Byram and Dobson could be a beastly defense pair or split them up to spread their ice time to cover most of the game. We can worry about finding Barzal his Robin another way, solidifying the blue line for a decade could be huge for the Isles.

His dad did play a couple of games for the Isles, it's destiny.

Reactions: 99664987 and SI90

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I get a very heavy Dobson vibe from Byram. Well rounded skillset coupled with high end hockey IQ. Could be an all situations minute muncher LD, skewing a little more offensively inclined than defensively capable.

I think the Isles need a #2C in the worst way and more talent at center in general, but if Byram is indeed a stud... then I could live with passing on one of the centers in this draft class and drafting him.

Byram and Dobson could be a beastly defense pair or split them up to spread their ice time to cover most of the game. We can worry about finding Barzal his Robin another way, solidifying the blue line for a decade could be huge for the Isles.

His dad did play a couple of games for the Isles, it's destiny.

Yeah Dobson without the physical edge. I think with the center depth in this draft some of the dmen could drop but if a team feels they have a need and are set at center they might take one of them. I think the Isles should focus on another center if they get high enough in the draft. Not many drafts come around with this kind of center depth.

ValeriKamensky

May 8, 2013
Great puckmover on the PP, but I`m not very high on his first pass. And his shot is above average at best IMO. But this is not a big obstruction, he has a lot of time to improve

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan
He was tremendous tonight vs Spokane and played a ton. On his goal he did a great job finding a seem and jumping into the play then made a great shot. Moved the puck very well all night too in all zones. He's been credited with one assist so far but should've gotten the second assist on Vancouver's 1st goal also

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad