LD Artyom Grushnikov (2021, 48th, DAL, traded to CGY)

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
No one talks about this guy, but I'm always impressed. Not very flashy, but does a lot well, and he's played in an older age group for two years now with Russia.

He seems like exactly the type of defensemen that's not a top few pick, but goes in the next range, and has a very successful NHL career. He's Russian though, so who knows if he even goes in the first few rounds. If he was from any other country, I think he'd be getting a lot more hype.

SergeConstantin74

Always right.
Jul 7, 2007
Are there any news about the start of the CHL season?

I may understand his will to leave stacked CSKA system, but only without missing half of the year.

The QMJHL said that the target date is October 1st. The CHL is usually in sync.

Reactions: bagsw

Canadian Game

Jul 18, 2005
Ontario
Signed. I think Grushnikov will fit in quite nicely into the Bulldogs lineup. Hamilton has quite a few defence but he will get the ice time and I can see him quickly moving up the lineup as he develops and adjusts to the North American game.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Which team again has Provorov played for before he "went" to the CHL?

Who went to the CHL young? Just like Zborovskiy, Mikulovich, D.Sergeyev, Sharipzyanov, Boikov, Paigin, Valiev. Talk about success rate. Those are only defencemen who were selected to the russian WJC team.

You were saying?

Flynn84

Apr 27, 2006
Who went to the CHL young? Just like Zborovskiy, Mikulovich, D.Sergeyev, Sharipzyanov, Boikov, Paigin, Valiev. Talk about success rate. Those are only defencemen who were selected to the russian WJC team
Most of these guys wasn't considered a top level prospects. Btw, Sharipzyanov is doing very good in KHL.

Flynn84

Apr 27, 2006
And exclude Paigin from the list. He had 12 AHL games as 22 years old. But you could blame CHL if you want.

Reactions: wings5

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Most of these guys wasn't considered a top level prospects. Btw, Sharipzyanov is doing very good in KHL.
I wrote it. Read it. They were on the russian NT. And if the CHL is that great for russian defencemen, why did they fail? Some of them the CHL should have developed into at least bottom pairing defencemen. We can do this excercise with other nation's WJC defncemen if you wish.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
I wrote it. Read it. They were on the russian NT. And if the CHL is that great for russian defencemen, why did they fail? Some of them the CHL should have developed into at least bottom pairing defencemen. We can do this excercise with other nation's WJC defncemen if you wish.

You need to look at sample size though , every year you have a handful of Russian defenceman going to the CHL but a large pool of them still staying in Russia. There is not enough evidence to suggest going to the CHL ruins players because there isn't nearly enough of them making that jump. Even if Canada lost its top 10 best defenders of an age group to Europe lets say , more NHL level defenders would still come out of Canada for that age group because the depth and quality of the system back home.

Russian system itself barely produces NHL defenceman, they get a good amount of National team defenders because a large majority of the good ones will still develop in Russia. Paygin was national team level and now is merely a VHL regular. Alot of junior national team members who developed in Russia have also failed to be more than bottom pair defenceman in the KHL. You can blame CHL all you want for Russian defenceman failures and maybe there is a case to be made for forwards but fact of the matter is these defenders just weren't good enough in the first place.

Reactions: FrankGallagher

NJ Fan 12

Jun 23, 2020
@Brock talks about Grushnikov in his draft preview story.

Any news on where he is in terms of development?

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
The cancelled OHL season has played havoc on the draft years of a number of NHL Draft Prospects. Artyom Grushnikov was one of the most affected. Drafted in the first round, 16th Overall of the CHL Import Draft, Grushnikov committed to play the 2020-21 season for the OHL’s Hamilton Bulldogs. When the season never got started, Grushnikov did not play any competitive, organized hockey in his draft year. It is a big setback for the Russian defenceman, and scouts must project what he is based entirely on tape and viewings from the 2019-20 season and earlier. Domestically, Grushnikov had two goals and five points in 23 MHL games, while also seeing time in the U18 and U17 leagues that season.

In 2019-20 Grushnikov represented Russia at the Hlinka/Gretzky Cup. While he did not score any points, he helped the Russians win the gold medal. He also played at the World Junior A Hockey Challenge. Grushnikov picked up two assists in six games. Once again, Grushnikov came home with a gold medal. He also won gold as a part of Team Russia at the 2018 Under-17 World Hockey Challenge. He scored a goal and four points in six games.

2021 NHL Draft #71: Artyom Grushnikov Scouting Report

Reactions: Realgud

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad