LD Anton Olsson - Malmo Redhawks, SuperElit (2021, 72nd, NSH)

Tryamkin

May 18, 2015
Canada
One of the most advanced 2021 prospects, already playing in the Swedish SuperElit after posting five goals and three assists in nine games in the J18 this year as a defenseman. 6'1 and 183 lbs, loves to jump into the rush. Already better than his older brother Albin who's about to turn 19 playing for the same Malmo SuperElit team as a left winger.

Anton Olsson at eliteprospects.com

Tryamkin

May 18, 2015
Canada
Gonna be a popular player in 2021. Already 3 games in the SHL at 16 with Malmö and 5 pts in 10 games in the SuperElit. Two way player with easily protectable NHL Top 4 skill set and frame at 6’1, 183 lbs.

PuckPoise

May 25, 2011
Surprisingly little hype around this kid. At this point a more solid D-man than Edvinsson but there's sky high potential there of course.

Reactions: leafsfan886

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
Surprisingly little hype around this kid. At this point a more solid D-man than Edvinsson but there's sky high potential there of course.
Offense is king, while Olsson is more following in Lindholm, & Brodin's footsteps, and just like them I'd expect him to rise in the rankings/get drafted before people think he will.

Reactions: Eye of Ra

pgfan66

Jun 26, 2019
I’ve watched 4 games of his so far, 2 internationally and 2 in the SHL, and he was awful in all of them. Maybe I caught the 4 worst games of his career and he’s actually good? But I wouldn’t draft the player I saw anywhere near the first round.

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
Defenceman Anton Olsson is the latest in a long line of talented Swedish defence prospects. Playing in the Malmo Redhawks system, he put up just four points playing 39 games in the SHL this season. He also got seven games in the J20 league, experiencing more offensive success. Olsson scored one goal and four points in seven games. He also represented Team Sweden at the IIHF Under-20 World Championships. Olsson put up three assists in seven tournament games. He helped the Swedish Team to a bronze medal. Olsson was also named as one of the top three players on the team by the Swedish coaches.

Olsson bounced around a bit during the 2019-20 season. He played in five SHL games. He also played 26 games in the Swedish J20 league. Olsson put up six goals and 11 assists for 17 points as a 16-year old. In four J18 games, Olsson scored three goals. He also played for Sweden in the Under-17 World Hockey Challenge. In five tournament games, he scored two goals and three points. His brother, Albin Olsson is a winger who also came through the Malmo system and is now playing in the Swedish second division.

2021 NHL Draft #33: Anton Olsson Scouting Report

PuckPoise

May 25, 2011
'At the SHL level he's been playing a pretty solid game I think, trying to play low-risk, solid minutes. Will be interesting to see if he can step that up and earn some more minutes. Potential to be a quiet minute-mincher rather than a PP guy. Apparently had a pretty bad U18?

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
'At the SHL level he's been playing a pretty solid game I think, trying to play low-risk, solid minutes. Will be interesting to see if he can step that up and earn some more minutes. Potential to be a quiet minute-mincher rather than a PP guy. Apparently had a pretty bad U18?

I like his chances of becoming an NHL player. Could see him paired with an offensive D-man in the future, really solid in all situations. Very high compete level, uses his body well too. Won't put up any numbers though. Paired with a super weak D-partner at the U18's (Sjöholm) who I think made him look bad.

thrillhous

Jan 5, 2006
I like his chances of becoming an NHL player. Could see him paired with an offensive D-man in the future, really solid in all situations. Very high compete level, uses his body well too. Won't put up any numbers though. Paired with a super weak D-partner at the U18's (Sjöholm) who I think made him look bad.

So he really doesn’t have many offensive tools in your opinion? His U17 numbers in J20 are very impressive - just a physically mature guy at an early age or does he have offensive skill that just weren’t on display this year when playing in the SHL?

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
So he really doesn’t have many offensive tools in your opinion? His U17 numbers in J20 are very impressive - just a physically mature guy at an early age or does he have offensive skill that just weren’t on display this year when playing in the SHL?

Well, Olsson is not a pure defensive D-man. He likes to skate the puck up the ice and there are not many players in this draft who can shoot the puck harder. I think he'll settle in to a more defensive role in the NHL though.

Reactions: thrillhous

Jukurit

May 16, 2022
Olsson was pretty good during his loan in Liiga, but I don't see enough upside to be NHL player. Solid all-around defenseman, but has no real standout ability.

Reactions: Eye of Ra

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad