LD Andrey Pedan - Ak Bars Kazan, KHL (2011, 63rd overall, NYI; traded to VAN; traded to PIT)

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com

I think he's got a strong chance of being drafted still, yes. But he's not a lock. I know Redline was once a fan of his, but they've cooled on him significantly over the course of the season.

Basically, it was thought he had some pretty nice offensive upside to his game, but he hasn't shown that in his time in the OHL. What he is though, is a defenseman with good size who does throw his weight around and skates well enough to play a pretty solid defensive game. If you believe the offensive game will improve (at least in terms of his breakout pass and ability to get the puck safely out of his own end), then you probably take a flyer on him in the later rounds (or earlier).

Czechexpert

Jan 23, 2009
I think he's got a strong chance of being drafted still, yes. But he's not a lock. I know Redline was once a fan of his, but they've cooled on him significantly over the course of the season.

Basically, it was thought he had some pretty nice offensive upside to his game, but he hasn't shown that in his time in the OHL. What he is though, is a defenseman with good size who does throw his weight around and skates well enough to play a pretty solid defensive game. If you believe the offensive game will improve (at least in terms of his breakout pass and ability to get the puck safely out of his own end), then you probably take a flyer on him in the later rounds (or earlier).

he looked so well at Hlinka Cup...

The Scouting Report

Oct 2, 2007
Ontario
www.thescoutingreport.org
I'd be pretty surprised if he doesn't get drafted, IMO he's at least worth a 7th rounder no question.

He has all of the tools you want in a player, big guy who skates well and has a big shot from the point. Competes alright and plays a decently physical game as well.

The problem lies in the fact that his hockey sense is very limited and he really doesn't think the game very well. As of now, his skill is allowing him to be an okay player at the OHL level, but his lack of hockey sense and decision-making is definitely holding him back.

Even with that, I think someone has to take a "flier" pick on him, because if he ever does come around in that regard of the game, he could legitimately be a very good prospect.

StormSurge9

Aug 9, 2009
Guelph, ONT
Andrey Pedan

What does everybody see from this defenceman?

Working for his junior team I see him regularaly, but I am certainly no scout. I wanna know what others think and when you think he will get drafted?

What I have saw:

At the beginning of the season he was getting limited ice time while adjusting to playing the north american style game. Around mid-season he had back-spasams and missed a fair bit of time. Ever since he came back though he has played very well and now in the playoffs he is playing like an OHL top pairing defenceman.

- Listed at 6'4. 196
- 12 pts, -11, 89PIMS in 51 GP (Regular Season)
- 5pts, +5, 6PIMs in 3GP (Playoffs)
- Ranked 75 by CSS in North American Skaters.
- Good skater for his size, good shot as well.
- LOVES to play physical, won't shy away from contact.

Any other opinions?

JawandaPuck

Lost Art of Dynasty
Apr 10, 2007
Vancouver BC
jawandapuck.blogspot.com
Andrei Pedan

Defenseman (LHS), 6' 4", 201 lbs
Born: July 3, 1993, Kaunas, Lithuania

andrei-pedan.jpg

CSS Rankings
Fnl: 85 | Mid: 75

Statistics
PHP:
Season			Team		Lge	GP	G	A	TP	PIM 
2009-2010	 MHC   Dynamo	 MHL	00	0	00	00	00 	 	 	  
2010-2011	 Guelph Storm	 OHL	51	2	10	12	89
2010-2011	 Guelph Storm	 POs	06	0	08	08	08
2010-2011	 Russia U18	 WU-18	06	0	02	02	25

d3d6a659439095eb57914049117f.jpeg

Progression
  • First 37 RS OHL games: 7 points = 0.149 ppg
  • Last 14 RS OHL games: 5 points = 0.357 ppg or a 58% production rate improvement
  • In 6 Playoff OHL games: 8 points = 1.333 ppg or a 73% production rate improvement

main.php

Made the RUS U-18 team and picked up a couple assists there as well (and 25 PIMs). From Kirk Luedeke's site..."Russia smoked Finland by a 5-2 score, with defenseman Andrey Pedan getting a pair of assists, while forward Nikita Kucherov continued his tourney-leading points assault with a goal and helper. Kucherov...(has) been the real straw stirring the drink for the Russians. Pedan is more of a project, a big kid at about 6-5 who can skate and shoot, but played a very conservative game for of the OHL this season. He's been more active offensively on the bigger ice surfaces of the U18s and is the kind of raw prospect with impressive physical tools who could be worth a look in the third round."

Here are the highlights from the RUS-FIN game. Pedan (#5) has primary assist on the first two RUS goals and is on the ice during their fourth goal. The two FIN goals were both PP markers and Pedan was on the ice for those as well as a PKer. Note the skating, agility and stickhandling -- all still a little raw but they demonstrate he's natural nonetheless...

He has all the tools -- good skater (especially for a big kid), big shot, defensive awareness, played both the PP and PK, effort and intensity (raised his game during the OHL playoffs and U18 tourny). And now he's starting to put it all together. Personally, I can see him going in the second round to a team that believes they can mold him into an NHL top six d-man with top four upside over time, due to such a compelling basket of goods.

A wall of Pedan assists from the Guelph - Saginaw OHL PO series (and one of his RS fights) -- look for #3...

Last edited:

1 Timer

Aug 23, 2009
Howell, NJ
This kid had quite a game last night on LI. He is very athletic for a big man. Anyone watch him on a regular basis have a feel for his upside?

JawandaPuck

Lost Art of Dynasty
Apr 10, 2007
Vancouver BC
jawandapuck.blogspot.com
Pedan demonstrating his increased production during last season's playoffs was no fluke:

Season|Team|Lge|GP|G|A|Pts|PIM|+/-|GP|G|A|Pts|PIM
2010-11|Guelph Storm|OHL|51|2|10|12|89|-11| 6 |0|8| 8 |8
2011-12|Guelph Storm|OHL| 19 |5|6| 11 |44|-1|||||

Selected by New York Islanders round 3 #63 overall 2011 NHL Entry Draft

StormSurge9

Aug 9, 2009
Guelph, ONT
Pedan demonstrating his increased production during last season's playoffs was no fluke:

Season|Team|Lge|GP|G|A|Pts|PIM|+/-|GP|G|A|Pts|PIM
2010-11|Guelph Storm|OHL|51|2|10|12|89|-11| 6 |0|8| 8 |8
2011-12|Guelph Storm|OHL| 19 |5|6| 11 |44|-1|||||

Selected by New York Islanders round 3 #63 overall 2011 NHL Entry Draft

The problem for Pedan right now is the PIM's, I have seen him play a few times and the fact is that a lot of those penalties are just stupid and can easily be avoided.

He also seems to try to hard to make a play sometimes. His coach Scott Walker has told him many times to just simplify his game.

But still, he has the size and a ton of talent. The Islanders will have quite the player when he rounds his game out some more.

Fulcrum

He's got a pretty good shot.

There is very little politics with the U20 Rus team last couple of years- hence the success. Strongest players make it.

malkinfan

Aug 20, 2006
Canada
Not to always be the guy whacking the bees nest with a stick, but I would still say some politics still exist. Why no Avtsin last year, not one of the better, older players? Or was it just that he played in the AHL?
In this case Pedan should be a lock since Russia's D looks paper thin this year, plus no Marchenko.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
I was just wondering because I remember last year they only had one player from the CHL (Bobkov) on their roster and he was a returnee from the year before.

StormSurge9

Aug 9, 2009
Guelph, ONT
Not to always be the guy whacking the bees nest with a stick, but I would still say some politics still exist. Why no Avtsin last year, not one of the better, older players? Or was it just that he played in the AHL?
In this case Pedan should be a lock since Russia's D looks paper thin this year, plus no Marchenko.

I believe Avtsin was due to the fact he was in the AHL and was likely not getting released.

And the a lot of the other russians that were playing in NA were just to young.

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
The best thing about coach Bragin is, unlike previous coaches, he doesn't play politics. He wont omit players because of where they play and there are no 'passengers'.

I think Pedan has a very good chance to make WJC team.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
12-13 season

GP-49 Goals-12 Assists-24 points-36 plus+2

For anyone who watches Guelph or has seen him play recently, how has he looked?

it looks like he really improved his offensive game and hes still big mean and nasty.

Cant wait to see him in Bridgport next year...

Mark Edwards

@MarkEdwardsHP
Feb 14, 2008
Toronto
www.HockeyProspect.com
Pedan has improved slightly but has a long way to go IMO. Unless I missed it, the Islanders have not signed him yet. Some thought he was a lock for UFA, I was not one of them.

He makes a ton of mistakes and takes dumb penalties. He fumbles the puck way too often and needs to improve his overall puck handling. His shot is very hard but he struggles to hit the net. A lot of his weaknesses almost seem to be out of sheer carelessness.

We had him ranked as an early 4th rounder if memory serves. I remember he showed signs of improving in the playoffs that season and we felt with his size and upside he was a worthy pick in that area. He has not yet lived up to our ranking or where the Isles selected him IMO.

He is still young and has time to delevop but he will need to make a conscious decision to play smart more disiplined hockey. His point totals look pretty good this year but he could have huge numbers based on PP time the last couple of years.

There is not a single player I hear NHL scouts, how should I say this, 'talk about' than Pedan. I actually have got txts durig the game from NHL scouts talking about mistakes as he makes them.

I probably sound harsh but it's because he has tools to be so much better. You can't teach a kid to be a ***** and this kid plays mean. The problem is he makes to many costly errors at this point to make him a truly valuable palyer.

A player to keep an eye on for sure...

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Thanks Mark. Adding another big body to the Isles blueline in the future would be huge, especially one with Pedan's potential.

I would still hope the Isles sign him to an ELC and leave him in Bridgeport to grow and mature under a professional coaching staff.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Pedan has improved slightly but has a long way to go IMO. Unless I missed it, the Islanders have not signed him yet. Some thought he was a lock for UFA, I was not one of them.

He makes a ton of mistakes and takes dumb penalties. He fumbles the puck way too often and needs to improve his overall puck handling. His shot is very hard but he struggles to hit the net. A lot of his weaknesses almost seem to be out of sheer carelessness.

We had him ranked as an early 4th rounder if memory serves. I remember he showed signs of improving in the playoffs that season and we felt with his size and upside he was a worthy pick in that area. He has not yet lived up to our ranking or where the Isles selected him IMO.

He is still young and has time to delevop but he will need to make a conscious decision to play smart more disiplined hockey. His point totals look pretty good this year but he could have huge numbers based on PP time the last couple of years.

There is not a single player I hear NHL scouts, how should I say this, 'talk about' than Pedan. I actually have got txts durig the game from NHL scouts talking about mistakes as he makes them.

I probably sound harsh but it's because he has tools to be so much better. You can't teach a kid to be a ***** and this kid plays mean. The problem is he makes to many costly errors at this point to make him a truly valuable palyer.

A player to keep an eye on for sure...

Thank you Mr.Edwards...I had heard the biggest problem is that he is very "Careless"...

Do you thing he will be able to play in the AHL next year? or will he be back in Juniors as an overager?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad