LD Andrew Strathmann - Tri-City Storm, USHL (2023, 98th, CBJ)

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Two-way defenseman that skates very well and also defends well. He pushes the pace with the puck, and does a great job of creating zone exits and entries. His offensive ability looks good enough. I wouldn't say its that good, but maybe he could be a PP2 type once he reaches higher levels. EP lists him at 5'11. I don't think his size is an impediment currently, but if he's 5'11 on draft day that could impact his range. I would say though that he's probably looking like an early/mid round pick.

Andrew Strathmann at eliteprospects.com

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
23 points in 61 games this season. Committed to North Dakota for the 23-24 season. He has one more season in the USHL.

These were my notes on his game this season.

Strathmann: Two-way defenseman. Not very flashy. Lacks a little in size (only about 5’11). Very good skater. Probably like a left-handed Faber. Maybe similar to Hreschuk. Round 2 or 3 type is what I’d say at this point.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
I thought he was one of the only American players that was good at the Hlinka. He had a few too many times where he lost the puck in bad areas of the ice, but aside from that he was pretty good.

He's not great at anything, but is a real solid defenseman in all situations. Right now, I would say he's pretty similar to Aidan Hreschuk, who was picked #94 in 2021. Hreschuk was a faller though, and had a weak ending to his draft year, so Strathmann could go higher than that. I'll still say round 2-3 for him.

His combine measurement is going to be important. Right now he's being listed at 5'11. It'll help his draft position if next June in Buffalo they measure him at 6'0 or above.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Thought he was the best D man for the USA.. which wasn't tough competition but he's certainly a 2-4th round pick depending on his season.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Loved this kids game at the Hlinka - without much doubt in my mind the best US defender this year. Any reason he wasn’t selected for the national team?
The 2005's defense is pretty weak. The forwards aren't the greatest, but defense is weaker than the forwards, which is saying a lot. The weakest group of defenseman at the NTDP in a very long time. I wasn't following the last time it was weaker.

Strathmann is probably better than all the left-shots, at least the 2023 draft-eligible ones, but he's kind of a limited player. Only 5'11 and has some offense but it's not that high end. I could end up being wrong, but I don't see him having top half of the lineup upside in the NHL. If he becomes an NHL'er, it's probably as like a 4-6.

I don't think I agree with it now in hindsight, but I could see why entering their U17 seasons the NTDP might've tried to bet on the theoretical upside of someone like Brady Cleveland instead.

Reactions: GermanSpitfire

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Kid is a little undersized (height-size), but he’s doing really well in the USHL. Given this draft kind of lacks defensemen, wonder if he has an opportunity to move up some draft boards.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
He was one of three 2005's picked for the WJAC, and then there's also two late birthday 2004's that are also draft eligible. Only five draft eligibles on the team, and he's one of them, so it shows that for USAH they have him as one of the five best draft-eligibles among non-NTDP Americans. Should be a good stage for him to try to help his draft stock.

MichaelFarrell

Aug 29, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
I like his game a lot. Strathmann is the QB on the power play for the Youngstown Phantoms and is heavily relied upon. What sticks out right away is his great skating. He gets involved in the offensive zone and will confidently pinch to attempt to save possession due to his ability to race back into the D-Zone if necessary. He doesn’t have a booming shot, much of a physical edge, and can make poor passes due to getting rid of the puck too quickly.

Overall, I like his game. I think he’s the most noticeable person on team a lot of the time. He kind of reminds me a bit of Letang in some ways but lacks the strength. I see him as a 2nd round pick and could be a top 4 D due to his skating offensive instincts.

Reactions: Brodeur

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
I have zero hot-takes on Strathmann. Think he might have a chance to play WJC this year though with how weak USA is on that left side.

My scouting report from his USHL season.

Pretty much view him as I did before. You’re getting a steady puck-moving guy without any notable holes other than he’s like 5’11, but he’s not exceptionally high-end in any area. His skating is probably the best part of his game. He has a good chance to play NHL games, but I think it’s very likely he’s a 5 or 6, if he sticks, as opposed to a first or second pair guy. I view him as like a slightly better version of Aidan Hreschuk, who got drafted late round 3. I could see late round 2 for Hreschuk, but otherwise early/mid round 3.

Aug 25, 2009
éal
Seems like he's having a real good season in the USHL as a captain. Anyone watched him play? He should be in the mix for the WJC american squad next year.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Seems like he's having a real good season in the USHL as a captain. Anyone watched him play? He should be in the mix for the WJC american squad next year.
I don't usually watch for the players who've already went through a draft, but he's one of the few of those in the USHL without watching for him has stood out to me. The skating is tremendous. Really drives play at junior level because of it.

Probably could've been playing NCAA this year.

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio
I don't usually watch for the players who've already went through a draft, but he's one of the few of those in the USHL without watching for him has stood out to me. The skating is tremendous. Really drives play at junior level because of it.

Probably could've been playing NCAA this year.
Brad Berry likely told him to go back to for another year of junior because they wanted to bring in one year portal guys. Berry may have also been worried that bringing in Strathmann as an 18 year old could rush his development like what happened with Brent Johnson, who is now at Ohio State after a failed time at UND.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Brad Berry likely told him to go back to for another year of junior because they wanted to bring in one year portal guys. Berry may have also been worried that bringing in Strathmann as an 18 year old could rush his development like what happened with Brent Johnson, who is now at Ohio State after a failed time at UND.
Yeah, Johnson’s progression has surprised me. I thought he’d become a steal for sure, yet now isn’t looking like he has much NHL potential. They also had that kid the Senators drafted from the BCHL that left after not doing well, so I see why they might want these players to overcook in the USHL.

Reactions: DatsyukToZetterberg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad