LD and RD instead of just being called Defense?

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
Should there be a change is the name, would make sense, it's like how we say forward but we're not saying Left Wing, Centre, Right Wing, it would make more sense to use Left Defense or Right Defense. But use the term Defense like we use the term Forward.

I just like it because some D can shoot right and play on the left side. Also if we read the position it'd make more sense.

Hynh

Jun 19, 2012
Just call them backs. Left back, right back. Makes more sense with how the position has evolved since the 1890s. It also fits better with wing and centre because it describes where they line up. Goaltender/keeper can stay because of how unique and specialized the position is.

Reactions: AnimalFear

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
I think it's a lot more common for forwards to play their off side regularly. Most left handed defensemen play the left side and most right handed defensemen play the right side.

The only guy that I can think of who almost exclusively played his off side, and excelled, was David Schlemko during his time as a Shark.

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.hockeyprospect.com
It is as important of a distinction as LW/RW is from a coaching (and to a lesser extent, scouting) perspective...that is to say, very important.

That said, the NHL isn't exactly keen on tracking positions for forwards...I'm not sure they're going to do much with this. The best resource I've ever seen on this stuff is BonMorrison's lines thread on the Trade Rumo(u)rs board...that might be the best thing HFBoards has produced since Turkey Girl...

ESH

Jun 19, 2011
I think it's a lot more common for forwards to play their off side regularly. Most left handed defensemen play the left side and most right handed defensemen play the right side.

The only guy that I can think of who almost exclusively played his off side, and excelled, was David Schlemko during his time as a Shark.

Definitely not. I think that maybe decently handedness has become a bit more important for defensemen, but there’s always been many more left-shooting defensemen than right.

Thrive

Scoish Velociraptor Maloish
Jan 10, 2009
Massachusetts
It is as important of a distinction as LW/RW is from a coaching (and to a lesser extent, scouting) perspective...that is to say, very important.

That said, the NHL isn't exactly keen on tracking positions for forwards...I'm not sure they're going to do much with this. The best resource I've ever seen on this stuff is BonMorrison's lines thread on the Trade Rumo(u)rs board...that might be the best thing HFBoards has produced since Turkey Girl...

I think you’re seriously undervaluing the magic of Olli with Turkey Girl when compared to Turkey Girl by herself.

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
There's literally no defenseman who shoots right and plays on the left unless all top 4 D for a team are righties by a significant margin and one gets shifted over. Only time I recall it in the NHL was when the Jets had Byfuglien/Bogosian/Myers/Trouba and the Weber-Boyle pairing on Team Canada.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010

Sergei Gonchar might be the best I can think of, not sure through out his entire career but in Ottawa he played mostly on his right side while being a left shot. Phaneuf and Brodie are a couple of others that come to mind. I imagine its mostly left shots playing the right side becuase it can be difficult to find that right shooting defensemen.

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
Some forwards (especially left wingers) could be called defensemen the way they play the game. Hanging back and checking and clogging up the neutral zone. In reality teams don't just have 2 defensive players ever. At least two of the forwards also play there, LW/C usually.

In the end it's just a position with a name attached to it. Don't think about it too much. Shouldn't really matter. You don't actually think any NHL team plays with a 3-2 formation.

barkovcanfinnish

remember to breathe
Sep 22, 2014
Chicago, IL
I'm for it. It's a more specific label for defensemen. Just like how it is for wingers.

Not a big deal in the grand scheme of things, since I already kinda do it in my own head. But it would be neat if it became widely-accepted.

rhinoshawarma

Nov 15, 2014
There's literally no defenseman who shoots right and plays on the left unless all top 4 D for a team are righties by a significant margin and one gets shifted over. Only time I recall it in the NHL was when the Jets had Byfuglien/Bogosian/Myers/Trouba and the Weber-Boyle pairing on Team Canada.

Pietrangelo has played on the left when he was paired with Shattenkirk iirc, and also on Team Canada

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL

Hainsey, Sergachev from my teams

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Pietrangelo has played on the left when he was paired with Shattenkirk iirc, and also on Team Canada
With Canada, he mostly played with J-Bo which put him on the right. He also played very limited minutes with Shattenkirk during their time together. We are talking less than 10% of his total ice-time at 5v5 for every season they were togeather. Handedness doesn't matter as much on the powerplay because a bunch of D will line-up on their off-side in that situation to set-up the one-timer.

Its why Babcock was a bit crazy when it came to handedness for the national team. For whatever reason Canada produced more elite RHD, and it is very rare for a RHD to switch over.

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
I think in general guys tend to play on one side only though, so it makes sense to have LD and RD. If guys play both, list them as both like they do with wingers.

ESH

Jun 19, 2011
With Canada, he mostly played with J-Bo which put him on the right. He also played very limited minutes with Shattenkirk during their time together. We are talking less than 10% of his total ice-time at 5v5 for every season they were togeather. Handedness doesn't matter as much on the powerplay because a bunch of D will line-up on their off-side in that situation to set-up the one-timer.

Its why Babcock was a bit crazy when it came to handedness for the national team. For whatever reason Canada produced more elite RHD, and it is very rare for a RHD to switch over.

At the World Cup of Hockey Pietrangelo played mostly on the left side on a pair with Burns. Bouwmeester was with Doughty.

rhinoshawarma

Nov 15, 2014

I know its rare but Pietrangelo played with Burns on the at the World cup, he only played 1 game with Bouwmeester. This was mainly due to Keith being hurt and our RHD was stacked, which is why guys like Muzzin and Bouwmeester were selected instead of Letang and Subban.

Pietrangelo is good enough to play both and he's showed that

Ad

Upcoming events

• Denmark vs Great Britain
    Denmark vs Great Britain
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Kazakhstan vs Germany
    Kazakhstan vs Germany
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $2,330.00
    Event closes